ad: CQMM-1

GigaParts Technology Superstore Grand Opening 3/23/24

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Mar 22, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NO...NO...NO...NO!

I'm not falling for THAT again!

It's how I ended up married!

KN1B and AF4KK like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Than explain why Amateur Electronic Supply crashed and burned! We've HRO in nearby Winter Springs and THANKFULLY a heap of helpful hams there to help.

AF4KK likes this.
  3. DG7RF

DG7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

GigaParts in Germany ??? great !!

4. WW3H

WW3H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went here yesterday! They sell much more equipment now. The building is MASSIVE as well. I will enjoy going there for many years

AF4KK and KI4KWR like this.
  5. W4MAL

W4MAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I live about 20 miles south of GigaParts and consider myself very lucky !! I retired from the VonBraun (Yes named after the Rocket scientist)Center a couple of years ago and have increased my ham activity greatly ! Huntsville is a place that you really can bump into a rocket scientist ! It is not a sleepy town. It is a growing tech city that is now the largest city in Alabama. I have been a customer of Gigaparts for years now and I know they do things very well. Hopefully they can copy this location in Las Vegas as well.

AF4KK, AK4QR and K6CLS like this.
  6. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell you why. The owner closed it. It was during the economic downturn time. shipping overseas was quite high and still is. Plus, they were undercut by R & L in Ohio.

7. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

No Kenwood? :mad: Also too, It will never last. It is too much of niche market. Gamers, locally might like it. Most of the stuff in there, can be bought on Amazon and also at several big parts outlet, most likely for cheaper. Nice idea, but, it'll be closed before you know it. Big waste of an investment.

KD0VUY and KE0GXN like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Kenwood isn't a "ham radio" company.

It's a global corporation of 4400 employees and $1.7b in annual sales.

Ham radio products are a TINY FRACTION of their business

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU, AF4KK, AA3C and 1 other person like this.
  9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh we have in Germany. But it died down in the last several years. Here in cause of the not existing intrest by the privat customers to visit the branch network of some. So all is now in the Internet to find and order.

And special HAM-Radio or radio communcations stores are unfortunately so yesterday for many (like the hobby), that it will not come back. Thats the situation and a turn back is not in sight.

10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Leave it to hams to piss and moan about anything positive. I'm quickly reminded why I took a long break form QRZ and the hobby.

I went by Saturday and visited my long-time ham radio friends. The building is the original Huntsville Home Depot, just to give some perspective of size. The old store was a thumbnail in comparison and they desperately needed the space for a very long time. The old store wasn't very attractive and had poor product placement and floor stock was slim simply because they had no place to put it. I am glad that it finally happened and I know it's been in the works for at least 4 years trying to secure a viable location and such.

AF4KK, G3SEA, W9AFB and 6 others like this.
  11. W1MKC

W1MKC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahem... NEW ENGLAND! Just sayin'
    73 DE W1MKC

12. N2YQT

N2YQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never last because they moved to a bigger store? You know they had a store selling the same stuff before this... right?

AE8EM, AF4KK, W5ARM and 1 other person like this.
  13. WR4JW

WR4JW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gigaparts does more than sell ham radios and computers. They cater to the maker community and the also do managed IT services for a number of clients in North AL.

AF4KK, AA3C, KI4KWR and 1 other person like this.
  14. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishing them the very best !!

AF4KK, AE0WG, N0JRK and 1 other person like this.
  15. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

GigaParts has been in business for over a quarter century already and thrived with their previous lackluster location. What they are doing now is a far sight better than what they had to offer before. You are entitled to your opinion that it may not last, but the fact is they are thriving. This move was long overdue and I am happy for my friends that work there and for those the store supports.

AF4KK, KI4KWR and AA3C like this.