ad: wmr-1

Get the Most from the 3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition with How-to Videos from DX Engineering

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Jan 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bouvet is a dangerous undertaking. They have supplies for at least 4 weeks. The problem is the weather--both on and off the island.

If there is weather danger on-island, they leave early. If the ship gets stuck in a storm, or delayed by one , they leave late.

AK7ER likes this.
  2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

you are right, us operators with limited antennas,low power restrictions,etc and some of us just don't have the luxury of a really nice station.Some of us HAVE to use a mobile because of local qrn,m. So my point is, us limited operators will never,ever stand a chance, EVEN if they say they will listen for us. One more thing, the awful,rude freq police don't help matters!

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

4. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been my experience that if one waits a week one will find the competition for a rare DX station to be substantially reduced. For some reason, the DX high rollers need to be first in line for a contact. Often, with little or no regard for the other stations trying to work the station. After these clowns move on to other pastures it becomes easier, when running low power and a dipole, to work the DX .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Being limited to "100 watts and a wire" still is capable of working, or getting darn close to, WAS during a FD, SS, or depending on solar season 160m or 10m contest. DXCC or very near during ARRL DX, CQWW events, even on some single bands.

Working rare DX 'peds with that though is of course different and tougher, but not impossible. It helps to put some thought behind the task.

Strategically, use online info assets / DX Cluster, know propagation vs the DX op schedule, be a first responder when they suddenly show up on a band or when it peaks in your region.

Tactically, be creative with QSX splits, just outside the main pile up or find and zero-beat last successful callers, QSK a must / dual watch 2nd rcvr helps, listen carefully for golden opportunities, don't call senselessly or unprepared, look for quick calls after a "TU" ack with no DX ID, or when sluggish PTT-delayed lids are out-of-sync and just blindly xmiting. (don't be one of those ;))

GO GET 'EM!

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  6. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm more of a casual op and still may try a few calls.
    However,
    I have a sense of timing honed from operating maritime under less than ideal conditions.
    I have a very good understanding of HF propagation.
    I know my station's capabilities well enough to identify the exception.
    I've never seen 100w and a wire a limitation, it is however a challenge.
    I wish any and all good luck making the rare contact.

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

What a pissy attitude. If you really think that, then don't bother trying. :rolleyes:

8. WA4JQS

WA4JQS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

glad to see someone came forth and corrected the mistakes made about the Island and past ops in the first post. South Sandwich Island is a far worse place then Bouvet. and Peter the First is also. wish them a safe trip and a great operation. best tips to catch them is listen to the op at the mike or key . follow their directions. try to figure out how the op is finding stations >moving up or down >or jumping from one freq to another.then find a spot and call . good luck
    73 Tony WA4JQS /VP8SSI/3Y0PI/WA4JQS/4K1

9A5O and W1YW like this.
  9. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's also a very seismically active region.

W1YW likes this.
  10. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

JT65A and JT9 also work very well.

11. NT5A

NT5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Not too sure about that. My (urban) noise level is certainly several S Units greater than theirs. My usual experience is that if I can hear them, I can work them. It takes some work to get through the pile-ups, but the issue is seldom one of propagation. YMMV :)

KG5THG and W1YW like this.
  12. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Patience is key with a less than optimum station! I have gotten through many pileups with 100 watts to my vertical! Call, listen, try to find the operators pattern and sneak in at the end or beginning AFTER he stops talking.

And don't be the lid screaming up 5 into the mic over the top of the DX because some people don't have a clue they are operating split!

13. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have been watching the progress of the team and tonight showed the XYL where they are, the video of the boat rocking in the seas and explained, "Honey, I NEED this one!" We leave on a cruise this Friday for 10 days and not sure if I will get the chance to work them or not. I explained these dire circumstances to my wife and you know what she said?

"Take a handheld on our cruise!"

LOL!! Gotta love that!!

AB8MA likes this.
  14. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well General Class operators can forget making contact on any below 17m according to their listed band plan. Way to alienate an entire license class.

15. VE6WT

VE6WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't believe that for one minute. I've worked weak one's and succeeded.
    Ande VE6WT