ad: chuckmartin

Get the Most from the 3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition with How-to Videos from DX Engineering

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Jan 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK: I 'll bite. Your recommended best strategy for 100 watts and a wire is....

?

2. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Um, they're listening up, which means into the General Class segments. Enjoy.

AG5DB, N4CAX and W1YW like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3Y0Z ABORTED

WATCH the DX Bulletins for Confirmation....

CONFIRMED....

3Y0Z ABORTED.

T-o-o- dangerous with horrible weather and ship's engine problem..

This was the right decision. Safety is number 1 priority.

:-(

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  4. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Incorrect. I talk to numbers of stations that give me 59 and they are a 3x3 copy and vice-versa. If you hear them at all, reply to their CQ. But alas, they will not be there now.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is seldom true reciprocity during DXpeditions such as this. This is because, in general, the Friis estimate of Prx of EIRP you RX from the DX station , incorporating propagation effects, is higher than your TX Friis EIRP received by the DX, of you.

Why? Because, in cases noted above, their TX power is far higher than 100 watts; they use directional antennas with low launch angles; they often locate close to salt water for lower ground losses and low launch angles.

I can think of one rare exception where the stated RX from a 100 watt station does not meet this generalization, and that is a remote station, using stacked monopole antennas at great heights, in Calais Maine.

Otherwise, most 100 watt stations have modest antennas as well, which invokes the absence of reciprocity so stated.

Thus, If you hear 3Y0Z as 3 x 3, they have no chance of hearing YOU.

Please show equations and values if you continue to assert that the physics of this analysis is incorrect.

Chip W1YW

6. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

All that much more fun. :)

I have worked off of a compromised antenna system for several years from a few different locations. Given my circumstances, I typically run a 75-100 foot indoor loop, fed through an SGC-239 antenna tuner at 100 watts. I have had excellent success and have enjoyed every bit of it.

Go for it and have fun. You will forever be amazed...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. VE9DAN

VE9DAN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I love this flavor of humor. He nailed it.

8. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My best strategy for 100 watts and a wire....try to work them if you here them, simple as that. My station is limited, though functional. If I failed to work a DX who I could “barely hear”, I would have far less success than I do. I particularly enjoy DX expedition pileups...with patience and persistence, I’ve worked many more stations than not.

Equations be damned...:D

9. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

@W1YW
    Reciprocity:
    5 August 2017 , 1700 UTC, 17m , from Buenos Aires , 400 watts to a pair of stacked 3 element Yagi , 3 x 3 .
    To Buenos Aires I was 100 watts into a 80m OCFD 18 degrees east of perpendicular . Near enough to be called broadside but for the informed, yes the antenna pattern at 17m looks a bit like a genetically malformed cauliflower so who knows ? Signal report was 4 x 4 and curiously conversational as the station acknowledged me then took time to identify their up frequency, radio and antenna, name and location before actually conversing past basic QSO . All in all a pleasant surprise for casual DX.
    With this in hand I located a Brazilian web SDR just to check my signal (reverse beacon in effect) and actually saw a trace on 17m. Curious I looked even further south into the Falklands and found a station I could hear locally as well as the SDR. Again there was little in the way of reciprocity as I was hearing them 3 x 3 and was heard at 4 x 4 and better. This time it was talking to a near identical station, OCFD , broadside to me at 100 watts from a TS-830S . I wouldn't have known to look if not for the chance contact with Brazil .
    Chip , I do agree that some sort of reciprocity is the norm. I wouldn't think for an instant to continuously push my signal into a pile up where I heard the DX station at 3 x 3 (or less) . I would try. I'd use the usual tricks of quick on, tailgating, extended pause, tighten outgoing audio frequency response , together and separately.
    My point is , hearing a DX entity at 3 x 3 (or less) won't keep me from trying however it will keep me from being a complete nuisance .

W1YW likes this.