ad: Mountaingoat-1

Get the Most from the 3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition with How-to Videos from DX Engineering

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Jan 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Get the Most from the 3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition with How-to Videos
    from DX Engineering

The 3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition scheduled to run from late January to the middle of February 2018, represents a once-in-a lifetime opportunity for Amateur Radio enthusiasts to snag this rarer-than-rare DXCC entity. Bouvet Island is an uninhabited speck of glacier-covered rock in the South Atlantic—and one of the most dangerous DXpeditions ever undertaken, replete with technical, physical and environmental hazards. The most recent operation from Bouvet was nearly 30 years ago.

To help both experienced and beginner Hams to get the most out of the Bouvet Island 2018 DXpedition and other DXpeditions, DX Engineering has produced a series of videos with 3Y0Z team member Hal Turley, W8HC, and DX Engineering’s Mark Ludwick, W8BBQ. You’ll learn about Bouvet Island, how to work it, make a QSO, and more.

Bouvet Island Overview

Hal and Mark give you the inside scoop on the Bouvet Island 2018 DXpedition. They also discuss how to get this DXCC entity, including the use of propagation tools for working the Amateur Radio bands.

Etiquette and Operating Style

Learn more about the Bouvet Island 2018 DXpedition as Hal discusses how he operates during a pileup and what the Amateur Radio etiquette is for making a QSO.

Making Contact

Mark shares tips with fellow Hams on how to give your station an advantage when working the Bouvet Island 3Y0Z DXpedition.

DXpedition Basics

If you’re a Ham Radio operator new to DXing or just want a little refresher before diving into a pileup, watch this video as Hal and Mark Ludwick discuss the basics of working a DXpedition.

How to Make a QSO

Hal and Mark demonstrate how to make make a QSO with Bouvet Island.

Bouvet Gear

Hal shows the cold-weather gear he’ll be wearing to make it possible for Amateur Radio enthusiasts to log this rarer-than-rare DXCC entity.

Play all the 3Y0Z Bouvet Videos here.

DX Engineering
    www.DXEngineering.com

800-777-0703

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    AC7DD, K9EZ, N9PBD and 2 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very helpful but needs a few corrections.

First N4BQW did a major dxpedition as 3Y0C in 2000. There was also 3Y0E in 2008.

Bouvet has thus been on, but is sorely needed by most of the deserving.

3Y0Z is planned for almost a month+ of operations, not two days in January;-)

AC7DD, N9PBD, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Instructions on working Bouvet Island:
    (A) Insure ample supply of coffee
    (B) Insure coffee maker is in good working order
    (C) READ the instructions on the new 7610 BEFORE you need splits
    (D) Explain to XYL why we can't take grand kids to Walt Disney World, Sea World or ANY OTHER WORLD until AT LEAST January 26th.
    (E) REPEAT step "D" to grand kids...again...again...and again
    (E.5) Check lock on door to shack
    (F) Cancel or reschedule ALL OTHER previous obligations. Your employer will simply have to understand.
    (G) Advise attorney to be QRV

**These instructions are subject to change & modification without notice**

VE9DAN, N6MEJ, KS4TD and 17 others like this.
  4. NU4R

THANK YOU Chip! I couldn't remember when I worked Bouvet! Your info helped me zoom right in in logbook! 73 sir!

AC7DD and W1YW like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3Y0 is the opposite of heaven. It is a frigid, dry, freezing hell-hole. It is one of the few places on earth where you can get frostbite and sun burn --simultaneously. Dead things get freeze-dried.

Please don't forget N4BQW-- a great man and ham that died under unfortunate circumstances.

I just want everyone to realize the hardship that our intrepid 3Y0Z DXpeditioners are undertaking.

NQ1B, K8TS and NU4R like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAH! Yes, the schedule has been cleared...

NU4R likes this.
  7. KF5LWR

KF5LWR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately with current sun activity and my 100 Watts and a dipole it’s a one in a million chance for me to hear them much less work them.

W9JTC and KA1BSZ like this.
  8. NU4R

NO SIR! GET IN THERE MY FRIEND AND YOU JUST MIGHT BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! The entire world IS NOT QRO with 100 foot towers! 73!

N6MEJ, KK6FCV, K8TS and 9 others like this.
  9. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can always try FT8 - I am sure there will be monstrous pile-ups!!! It will be interesting to see if I can get through with my 100-watts and a dipole. I may have to warm up the 811 amplifier.

Roger N6RGR

KK6FCV likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your best strategy with 100 watts is to wait until the last few days, when 3Y0Z will specifically listen for ATNO only. NEVER call if you can barely hear them....they will not hear you.

N4QX, NU4R, WB9VPG and 2 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Get you dipole center as high as possible so that you have some gain at low launch angles.

Best bet is, IMO, 20M CW, or 40M CW.

12. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is distressing. I'm going to be out of the country from February 1st till the 13th. Hopefully they will be up and running before that in time for me to work them on 40/80, the only bands I have antennas for at the moment. GADZOOKS!!!!

K9ASE likes this.
  13. AK7ER

AK7ER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, you never know until you try. I know I have a 100W and a vertical antenna but I can hit Australia and New Zealand on 10 watts using FT8. Is it a rag-chew, no, but given how many people will be trying to contact them, none of the QSO's will be long. If you can do FT8 (or other digital modes), give it a try you just might be surprised. At least for me, part of the fun is never knowing for sure what kind of contact I can make. Some days it is barely down the block. other days it is half way around the world. Good luck!

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Please avoid DUPLICATE QSO's.

The 3YØZ operation is registered on ClubLog.

https://secure.clublog.org/logsearch/3Y0Z

Hopefully the team has the opportunity to upload their logs frequently.

Despite many DX'pers using ClubLog during their operations now, there has been an increasing trend of dupe callers.

If ClubLog is being routinely updated, those making a QSO that they feel was questionable should WAIT for results of that time-stamped period before calling again.

This will help avoid unnecessary congestion in the pile-up. There is no extra credit for more then one QSO for each band-mode. I hope for just ONE QSO period!

73, John, WØPV

K9ASE, AK5B and WA4BCS like this.
  15. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

One would be nice. I am not and see no sense in ABAMers.