ad: k1jek

Gerritsen Convicted in Jamming Case

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W3KHG

W3KHG Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM you must be a teenager which explains your post. Persons like you always try to understand why a person like Gerritsen did the things he did. You think there must be some reasonable explanation. Well Charles things are not black and white. This guy is the biggest jerk and it is sad it took so long to finally convict this moron. He could have caused major communication problems during a life saving event which was the case of the sailboat incident. I do not care if the guy was 18 years old or 69 years of age. This guy deserves to be sent away for 15 years. This type of punishment needs to occur more often in this country and with less delay. Your argument is nil. Perhaps you can push the case for Charles Manson. Now there is one weirdo and wacky animal. Go try to understand him Charles. By the way, are you a teenager?

2. WX5RP

WX5RP Ham Member QRZ Page

While the former KG6IRO may in fact need medical care, he must be held accountable for his actions. Perhaps one of the biggest problems in modern society is that we are not held accountable for our actions.

As for KG6IRO's apparent failure to pay his fines, I'm confident there will be a sizable lien against any of his property that will have to be settled upon his release from incarceration.

73 de WX5RP

3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

According to FCC policy and procedure, a licensee can continue to operate while an application is 'pending.'

Several things yet need to happen. His NAL needs to revert to a Forfeiture Order. It has not. If it is (or had been) finalized, then, there is something called the "Red Light Rule" that they've used to order a licensee off the air until the Forfeiture is paid.

He will likely be noticed to appear for a hearing on his renewal application in Washington.

So, until he dons cap and Toyota and jaunters down to DC, he'll still be operating.......

Lee

4. KY7F

KY7F Ham Member QRZ Page

w6em - Thanks, Lee! Makes sense.

5. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

So, Gerritsen gets two misdemeanors and one felony.
    The felony for the CG Auxiliary interference while a vessel was in distress.

Interesting.

Why wasn't he charged with another felony: Malicious interference to/with a federal telecommunications system?  He interfered with a MARS exercise.  MARS is a federal communications system, not amateur radio.

So, it should have been two felonies and two misdemeanors.

In any case, the guy wanted to do himself in.

Ever heard of "suicide by cop?"  Where a person commits a crime, usually with a weapon, then purposefully gets the cops to shoot (and kill) him?  Happens quite often.

I would be willing to bet that Gerritsen is broke, unemployable, and probably hungry.  Maybe cold at times, too.

Although charities can take away the hunger, and usually provide warm clothing, maybe the thought of being housed in a correctional institution and getting 3 meals, clothing, a hot shower, and the basic necessities for a few years appealed to him.  And, he's no spring chicken.  I would guess that he had no close family either.

At least he knows where and when he'll get his next meal.

Lee
    W6EM

6. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah yes another defender of Mr Gerritsen who feels Mr. Gerritsen is the poor victim.
    Why is it so hard for you to accept the fact that he may just plain be guilty?  Is that such a far fetched idea to grasp?  Once again excuses prevail as to why Mr. Gerritsen is SO misunderstood and should be given yet ANOTHER chance.  Its mental, the weather, the dog, the meds, the moon, and on and on the excuses go.  
    Since you are such a devine judge of human character here, what would you do?  Tell him he did a naughty thing and let it be at that?  Where do you draw a line and start to have a line of responsibility drawn?  Where would you draw a line here in this case and say enough is enough?  If a person was to die due to interference what would you say to the family of the victim?
    Perhaps it is time that people learn that responsibility needs to be taken for ones actions.

7. NK0V

Now if we feel responsibility needs to be taken for actions we are of CB limited mentality. Nice to know.

8. AD6FR

AD6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for the record, I have spoken with Gerritson and can tell you that he is not mentally handicapped in any way; his cognitive abilities are in tact.  His problem is that he never gave up on being a 60's anti-establishment hippie.  He despises authority no matter who it is and he is addicted to expressing his complaints despite the fact that few wish to hear them, therefore he found a captive audience on 2 meters and apparently Coast Guard frequencies.  The Southern California repeaters are back to normal and it is a whole lot more fun turning on the radio without hearing KG6IRO constantly playing his stupid tape recordings.  Lock him up and throw away the key, if they ever let him out he'll be right back on the air again.

9. NK0V

If one brings an unpopular view to the form don't expect a great deal of praise on that view. Most feel he was a problem on the air that is now gone and are glad for that.
    One the medical condition, well I am sorry about that, but considering the lines of work I have done I have seen that used and abused too many times as an excuse as to why they are NEVER guilty and need favorable treatment. I do not share your excuses for Mr Gerritsen and now that I am not intelligent life to you this conversation is finished.

10. AB9JV

AB9JV Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM. Don't let those guys get you upset.  They like picking on Tech class hams.

Your thoughts on Gerritson's mental state are valid.  The guy is clearly a whacker.  Is he a criminal or just mentally ill?  Those two seem to go hand in hand sometimes.  The Jury found him to be guilty of criminal acts, and sent him to jail.

If some other body had found him to be insane, he would have been put away also.

Either way, he is off the air and out of the hair of the folks that he was bothering most.

Sure, the dude needs help, but he needs to be put somewhere where he can't be a danger to himself or others.

It is very possible, that he will be treated better in prison, than in a mental instution, where they jack crazy people around on a routine basis.

Not living in the area where this trouble occured, I can not realize the full impact of his jamming, but based on what I have read, he was a real troublemaker, with many whacky ideas and positions.

I believe, that if he was jamming you, on a regular basis, you would like to have him "go away", and would be right to think so.

I think that you would may not be so much concerened about his welfare, as be happy that he is gone.

Lenny

11. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see stupidity has no age limit... [​IMG]

12. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

You all have valid points. You all are still missing the big picture here, and that is, yes he has been found GUILTY! BUT WHAT IS THE PUNISHMENT GOING TO BE? Lets see if it fits the crime. [​IMG]

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If u be jammin' u be chillin' in the cooler!

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chillin' in the cooler, eh Chip?  You must be doing a little of that yourself these past few days.  The chillin' part, that is.  Brrrrrrrr.

Maybe a fitting punishment for Gerritsen would be a little warmth for a few years.  Guantanamo could probably use a little clean up and maintenance work.  Send him down there.  He can talk free speech to all of the Afghan detainees while he swabs the joint down in 90 degree, 100 percent humidity weather.

Then, after he's done, take him to the main gate, and let him hike over to Havana.  Plenty of free speech opportunities there, between cigar rolls.

Lee

15. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess The "System" worked this time?.. But how many Aren't they Getting?..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.