ad: LZQSLprint-1

Gerritsen Convicted in Jamming Case

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

While this is true in about 25% of the cases, it is no longer 100% true. Especially if the intruder is operating on a repeater.

There are some intruders who have developed a "cult-like following" of supporters who act as the ears of the interfereing station. These hams (yes hams) gauge reaction and provide feedback to the intruder so that the intruder knows that his signal is reaching out.

Eventually, such a situation reaches a level of intollerence to where government intervention is necessary to maintain stability in the affected community.

2. AD5TD

AD5TD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that Jack is the one that will be "Jammed" in prison! [​IMG]

Couldn't have happened to a better candidate. Jerks like this give us all a bad name.

The fact that the FCC took four years to do this is bad enough.

Self policing my a**!

3. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

we have about 500,000 or so apples in our barrel.. For so few of 'em to be screwballs is reallly remarkable...

4. 4S7RO

4S7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

When are they going to get VE3OGZ ? I hope the Canadians learn something from the FCC and nail that bloke. He has been doing what he does for over 10 years now. The guy once jammed me even when I was trying to assist a Yatchman (in distress) off Barbados.

For years, he claimed he owned 14.185. He came back after a lull and claimed 14.200 for himself! I understand he has now been pushed down to 14.113. Although he is less of a bother down there, the likes of him do not deserve to be allowed to transmit. Look up the DX Summit archives and you'll see what the world is saying about the guy, but Canada turns a blind eye/ear.

73 de Ron, 6Y5/4S7RO

5. N7SPY

N7SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

... and waste two perfectly good radios?   [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how Gerritson plans on getting one into the big house, so he doesn't need help.

7. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

There will be an extra cell space in California at 12:01am tomorrow.

8. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Using that theory, I guess every criminal is mentaly ill.

I'm sorry, but I lived in S. Cal. for twenty years, and listened to that garbage.

Just a bunch of hostile and mean as "junkyard dog" SOB's.

There wasn't any mental illness that I heard, only a small group of anti-social folks that seemed to be mad at the world, and spent their time talking dirty, and making threats to each other.

Most of the behavior was childish at best, and I am sure most of you haven't heard the flushing of a toilet on your local repeater. As Burton said, you had to be there to know the full story. And it went beyond colorful words. Sick stuff that can't be repeated here.

Someone that goes into a motel and kills a family in cold blood has issues too , but there is a difference between mental illness, and just being a mean, self-serving SOB.

You can't define any action that normal people wouldn't do as mental illness. There are clinical definitions. You may define jamming police radios as mental illness, but I would define it as a crime commited by a anti-social SOB, that wants to cause harm to society, because they don't get their way.

Sorry, but your position sounds like the norm that I hear way too much. "Everyone is good, and if they do a bad thing, it isn't really their fault" "It's their mommy, or their 4th grade teacher made them stand in the corner, or their goldfish died when they for 5." "They are just sick and need help."

Some people really do have mental issues, but most are just criminals, that don't give a damn about you or me, and just want to have their way, no matter how badly it effects you or me. For those people we have small cubicles with metal bars.

73 - W6NJ

9. KI4BNC

KI4BNC Ham Member QRZ Page

ROFLOL!!!
    wx7b made the list and I did not!!!
    now THAT is FUNNY squared to the 10th power!!!

10. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

His was typical no-coder behavior. (See, we can get it going anywhere)

11. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I said it was criminal behavior, not normal behavior.  It could be an act commited by someone with mental illness, but the act alone certainly does not prove mental illness.

So anyone that commits any crime (mostly anti-social acts that harm society) is mentaly ill in your opinion?

...Interesting

And I guess we should turn all of the prisons into mental hospitals?

Using your method of defining mental illness, 90% of the world would be in a mental hospital.  Customs different then yours are not mental illnesses, and neither is bad or criminal behavior.  

Using the Garretson example, as you see it, would prove that the Founding Fathers of the USA had mental illness for resisting the British Empire's lawful society in the colonies.  If that wasn't anti-social what is.  Maybe we should give the USA back to the UK as our country was started by insane people.

I would suggest, that rather then trying to force your point on a bunch of hams on qrz, that you do a web search on crime and mental illness, and argue with the professionals on the subject.  You may even learn what the term "mental illness" actualy means and the different disorders involved.  You certainly are confused on the subject.

W6NJ

12. AE7Q

AE7Q Guest

Oh, brother!!! If you actually have some serious medical CREDENTIALS regarding sociological behaviour, please state them. Otherwise, the above doesn't tell us anything about what you know, but only what you think you know.

Jack Gerritsen is no more mentally ill than the millions of Americans who think that just because they live in a "free country", they can do whatever they please without regard to the rights of others. When someone has the temerity to try to stop them, they cry "Constitutional rights" (as Jack did).

Yes, Jack is delusional, but it's not a medical condition; it's simply the sociological (not medical) "self-delusion" that comes from believing nonsense for many years (ditto for K1MAN). The prisons are filled with such individuals, and rightly so.

13. KY1V

KY1V Guest

Someone asked Charles (KC8VWM), are you a teenager?

No, he's a Canadian. With the brain being frozen for a good portion of the year, it is no wonder Canadian's are more tolerant (liberal) than Americans. Just kidding Charles!

Seriously though, criminal behavior and mental illness should not be confused, and more and more people in our society have been brainwashed into interchanging the two disorders, one being a behavioral problem and the other being an actual brain dysfunction.

While many professionals might disagree with me, I do not believe ANY learned behaviors, even at the misfortune of abuse, should be classified as mental illnesses.

If my kid gets ticked off at me because he doesn't get his way, then commits an offense against his family, such as trashing something expensive or putting his fist through the wall, is that a behavioral (criminal) issue or a mental illness?

Charles' thinking would lead you to believe it is a mental illness, however, most of us would agree that a good whipping with a belt will cure his behavioral issue and the "apparent" mental illness goes away.

I agree with the majority here, punishment is in order. Not only does it "cure" the "illness" of the offender, it is an excellent deterrent to others that may be experiencing similar "mental illness"!

David ~ KY1V

14. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

One great thing I have found about the internet, is that I have had 100% success treating teenage mental illness in my house by unplugging the broadband connection to the patient's room.

Amazing how quick that mental illness disappears.

Don't know if the internet causes the bad behavior...Oh sorry "Mental Illness", but it goes away real quick when disconnected.

Great example of the difference, by the way.

73 - W6NJ

15. KY1V

KY1V Guest

That's quite interesting. My kids are small (3/5/8/11), however, I will keep that bit of information under my hat for when they are old enough to be turned loose on the Internet.

At the moment, my only issue is with the 8 year old's addiction to star wars and his emulation of its characters. He's had his star war materials (movies, games, toys) taken away no less than a half dozen times, but I always end up feeling guilty and giving it all back.

My brain tells me there's a reason why the stuff is rated PG, but the boy loves star wars and my "mental illness" causes me to return the materials even though I know better!

I guess it's like your broadband, just keep taking it away long enough to cure the mental illness then give it back!

David ~ KY1V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.