ad: Schulman-1

FT8 DXCC experiment completed !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

when any goal (in this case, working 100 countries) is so easy to achieve, it usually isn’t much of an achievement.

Can’t remember who said that but he was a smart guy.

2. DL8KFO

DL8KFO QRZ Lifetime Member #296 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Okay, apparently our experiment has revealed above all the split that runs through the hamradio-world.

It was certainly not our intention to show that FT8 is the world's greatest mode of operation.
    Nor did we intend to show that a DXCC with FT8 is not worth its paper.
    Our experiment was simply about the question how long a small station with FT8 needs to operate the DXCC. We wanted to answer this question without ideological background. For me personally there isn't a better mode of operation than CW. But also I found this experiment interesting. It also gave me an insight, which operators use this new operating mode and what their reasons are.
    And 2020 QSOs with 100 DXCC were even for a team stressful. This was not a cheap gift. One advantage of FT8 is for sure that the operators give an electronic QSL very fast. Until today, 89 countries have already been confirmed.

Although in my opinion there is hardly anything more impersonal than a FT8-QSO, I was surprised how much feedback we received from the operators. By email, QRZ.com...etc. Many people who work in FT8 have fun with this mode of operation - and that is their right!

Of course I find it sad that CW activity is declining. But there will always be people who care about CW, SSB, RTTY...etc.
    Our hobby must not divide us because of an ideology question.

So: Have fun with our common hobby, no matter in which form!

Torsten DL8KFO

KA2FIR, VE7JBX, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  3. GM6DX

GM6DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When there is change there is resistance. I think it should be looked at as an effort well done. The modest station, modest antenna showing worldwide propagation can take place and if you were a new entrant into the hobby with a power limit of 10w like in the UK this would definitely be a mode that you would do. Let's not get upset about which mode is better....life is too short. ;)

DL8KFO likes this.
  4. M0RDB

M0RDB Ham Member QRZ Page

We need to embrace these new technologies as they come along.

Firstly, I think they demonstrate to the rest of the world, what an innovative and industrious group of scientists radio amateurs can be. Shared technologies such as packet radio led directly to ACARS, which is used throughout the skies for digital communication, and is now also extending into CPDLC for air traffic controllers to exchange information with pilots electronically.

Radio amateurs are pioneers for many new experimental modes and antenna designs. If we can integrate software and coding into the hobby, we stand a very good chance of bringing in lots of younger recruits, who in their turn will give the pastime new life and enthusiasm long past the last silent key.

Lively discussion and disagreement is a good thing, as long as it’s done in a civil and polite manner. It can be found throughout human endeavour, and frequently leads to positive outcomes and advancements in their respective fields.

If you really want and argument that never ends, just ask a guitarist Fender or Gibson?

(Fender of course, because he was a radio ham)

G3SEA, WD4ELG and WN1MB like this.
  5. AA4SS

AA4SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope you had fun with it, and welcome to the future. For all the haters, I guess they are still watching over the air tv on a 13" black and white. Sorry guys technology changes . 100 years ago how long did it take to get from Europe to the US ??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

For the uninitiated or otherwise clueless: www.oldqslcards.com/w6doe.pdf

KA2FIR likes this.
  7. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Actually, neither. Martin guitars, of course.

WD4ELG and WR2E like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At least I found a way to end the toilet paper shortage.

Just earn an award using my FT8 station.

KA2FIR and WN1MB like this.
  9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure -- for acoustic guitars!

10. W5RG

W5RG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will have to say I have used FT8 and FT4.. It is the only mode that you can turn on your PC call CQ..get up and go take a crap and come back and you have made a contact and it has been log for you..That's a sign of progress!! I thought that mode was made for low power but I see signals 30-40db over nine.. I do like to get on when the band is dead and you can still have a QSO.. Well maybe its not a QSO but what it is it's in the log as a QSO.. I still love CW the best at least you use your head to copy what one is sending. DXCC is fun to get no matter what mode...

11. NY4I

NY4I QRZ Lifetime Member #487 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You napped for 60 seconds?

12. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

no the contact was in the PM and woke on AM did i sleep too long? WAIT! i think i just invented another award.

13. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A common misconception: weak signal work does not necessarily mean low power. Yes, lower power is the norm, but not the necessity. After all, the FT modes were originally developed for EME work where ERP's are typically high but signals are very weak.

Like most hobbies, ham radio has some folks who take a good thing and run it into the ground. Yeah, there are probably some that run high power FT8 but I'd like to believe that they are in the minority. I too, see the big signals in the FT8 watering holes but I don't always assume that the big signals are from big power stations. Most of them most likely have better antennas than I do. That would account for a lot of that. The really interesting thing is that, given equal band conditions and power levels, you can scan thru a band like 20 meters and see very little activity on any other mode and then you go thru the FT8 frequency and there are the big signals.

So, in other words, the band is wide open but no one is using CW, SSB or RTTY everyone seems to be on FT8? It must be a good thing that meets a need we didn't even know existed until now.

(cue sarcasm mode)
    A quick and easy way to make contacts without all that messy personal interaction. No hello, how are you and the kids, no WX HR is, RIG HR is or any of that stuff, just call sign, signal report and 73!
    (sarcasm off)

But seriously: FT modes fill a need for a mode that can make a contact with weak or not-so-weak signals under less than optimum conditions like we have now. It helps even the well equipped stations make "Q's" that might not be possible any other way.

So, at least it keeps us busy and off the streets, right?

K2NCC likes this.
  14. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points plus the Fender is the Surf Guitar of choice ! :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6