ad: MLSons-1

FT8 DXCC experiment completed !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

As evidenced by several posts here, COVID-19 has not killed ignorance or intolerance yet, not even in ham radio.

NY4I, DL8KFO, K3SX and 5 others like this.
  2. KC5TT

KC5TT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This was a very good use of your time and effort. My own experience with the JT modes as part of my DXCC work, showed me that, in my experience, any mode you can work in to get new country or contact, is a great mode. My log has plenty of JT-65, FT8, PSK, and RTTY, to go along with SSB and CW. I hear the fear of change in some of the comments throughout many discussions on this topic. I find is odd that a tech based hobby has some need for new modes, new equipment, and new ideas to keep it healthy. The world evolves and Ham Radio needs, not only yo evolve with it, but grow and lead the way. Our interest and skill sets have built entire industries over the years. We should be working on the forefront of technologies and just be another consumer base for commercial products, but let out interests and hobby show the world just how connected we can be.

During the Texas QSO party, I like to head out to the local state park and setup for a great weekend of making contacts. I always catch the interests of the people there and they are amazing at we are able to make contacts around the world with just a little effort and a good old tree and some wire. The mode will never be as important as the message in the time of need. The essential skills to provide basic communications is something I work on every day. The JT modes are a blessing as is the privilege of being part of the ham community. Thank you for taking a bold and exciting step in helping our community see the value of FT8 and having fun along the way.

Have Fun,
    Jeffery MacMillian
    KC5TT

3. KC5TT

KC5TT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the idea of getting DXCC in all the different modes. I think real paper chaser will as well. It is a great accomplishment in any mode. Try getting DXCC 5 band in three modes. I can imagine we have Hams working i that direction.

4. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KC5TT ---Your above comment ironically, in my opinion, is one of the biggest drawbacks of the FT/JT type communication modes. At the heart of Amateur Radio is the ability to perform Emergency Communications, to accomplish that mission the communications channel must be capable of transferring usable information of some type. The FT/JT protocol stack, while quite ingenious, has no inherent capability as an information transfer node, it only provides basic ACK-ACK Keep-Alive messages between software clients. Suppose there is a hurricane and we are tasked to provide emergency communication, passing messages from a remote area; Once the radio links are established what transmission/protocol mode will you choose, probably not a JT/FT protocol as it they have no capability to transfer information.

The underlying technology of how FT/JT's function is not new. Those of us that worked with long-haul serial communication links recognize the mechanism, it's based on the old X.25 link-layer protocol (LAPB) that transmitted short messages (SABME/RR/SNRME) to establish and maintain a 2-way communications link. The difference is that X.25 provided a higher-level protocol to pass message traffic, FT/JT (as written) does not provide that capability. Yes, we can trick the software into sending a "Thank You" or "Hello Jim", but the character limitation prevents passing any meaningful message traffic.

Are JT/FT protocols/modes fun, absolutely, and their ability to overcome horrendous propagation conditions is truly amazing. Unfortunately, the functionality as a communications channel is just not there, the current programming is focused on contesting vs communications. The FT/JT technology is sound, but in order to be useful in the real world the client software needs to be redesigned to venture beyond basic "keep-alive" type messages.

5. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I seems most responders here forgot that this was an experiment by a group to see how quickly 100 countries could be worked on FT8, not confirmed. Then the ignorant FT8 bashers showed up. Working 100 countries is not that difficult during some weekend contests, regardless of mode. As for the computer haters, please demonstrate how to decode FT8, etc, in your head. I bet a lot of FT8 haters use some type of code reader when they use CW.

NY4I and DL8KFO like this.
  6. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Must have been some very short naps.

K3SZ likes this.
  7. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Several of us have posted constructive comments, why not respond to us and ignore the over the top stuff? Personally I use FT8 quite a bit when conditions are poor, its fun, easier on the ears, and it levels the playing somewhat so the smaller stations can compete against the big guns. I do think its current programming limits its legitimacy, and JT8 is moving in the right direction to expand the protocol's capability beyond QSO farming. Please tell us your thoughts on FT8, both pro and con, let's have a constructive conversation instead of a slugfest.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo.

9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's because they can achieve all that without lifting their butt from the chair, performing mouse clicks only. Having QSL cards printed, going to club meetings and send/receive QSL cards seems to be too much effort these days.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and WN1MB like this.
  10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 allows me to work the world on a wet noodle and being apartment bound with just wires on the balcony I enjoy it. Yes it is easier than CW and I should probably be spending my time working on my CW skills instead and probably could have enjoyable CW contacts with the wire on the balcony, too. Working mostly domestic FT-8 with my current set-up and trust me I am not loud, I occasionally get some DX, logged Ukraine on 30m last night.

K2NCC likes this.
  11. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Much like anything other mode in this hobby.

Versus mic-clicks or key-clicks?

One can do more with a mouse than you'd ever do with a mic or Morse code key. There are 100s of modes, most use a computer.
    Phone and CW are easy once you learn it. Digi-modes is an ever-changing environment.
    And if you've ever worked on computers, you know software isn't always plug-n-play.

Or perhaps a lack of interest in QSL cards or club meetings? Some of us aren't collectors or the social types.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    K3SZ likes this.
  12. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I mean part of the fun for me is indeed the computer part of the hobby. I really enjoyed finally compiling the latest version of fldigi on my Linux workstation. If only I actually paid attention my C++ class in college I could maybe contribute to the project.

K2NCC likes this.
  13. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that's my "problem" with this. I am on several computers all day long, designing hardware and software for embedded systems. So, reverting to "primitive" systems in my spare time floats my boat. I'd really like to learn CW but I don't have the patience for that. And yes, I get all warm and fuzzy when receiving a paper QSL card from a distant country :)

K2NCC likes this.
  14. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did CW for years. It wasn't that difficult for me. I just got bored with it a few decades later. I listen once in a while but that's about it.

I like the current crop of digi-modes and the integration of my PC, software (some that I wrote and mostly using what others wrote), my own home-brewed interfaces where needed, and my radios.

K2NCC likes this.
  15. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page