ad: Mountaingoat-1

FT8 DXCC experiment completed !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 DXCC experiment completed !

(The experiment to see just how quickly one can get to DXCC using ONLY FT8)

Finally we got it!
    On Saturday, 21st of March, we finished the 100 DXCC with 2020 QSOs.

This took 7 days, 7,5 hours (18 hous break) with a small station with 50 wtts and longwire-antenna.

We will publish more detailed statistics in the next few days. First of all, we are happy to have reached the goal. Many thanks to all the HAMS who have worked with us over the last days. You have helped us to reach this goal.

But what can already be said now: You can have different opinions about FT8, but the DXCC is always a milestone that has to be worked out. Every HAM can be proud if he has reached this goal, no matter in which mode of operation!

No matter which mode you use, enjoy your hobby and make the best out of it, it is a great hobby!

The special event QSLs will be sent out via office in the next few weeks, the ADIF-Files will be uploaded to Clublog, LotW and eQSL in the next days.

DR4K

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/march/dxcc-experiment-completed.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    AA5AT, W4DAF, KC5TT and 4 others like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So... Not to rain on your parade, but does your accomplishment include getting confirmations for those one hundred DXCC contacts?

Making the QSO's is the easy part, especially with all of Europe on your doorstep. It's getting the confirmations that is the difficult part. I would imagine though, that with FT8 QSO's, the confirmations are also fairly easy too.

At least that's been my experience.

W4EG, K3RW, K0UO and 5 others like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I wonder who the certificate is made out to... the operator or the manufacturer of the computer? :)

VK6APZ/SK2022, W3RGA, KC8ARO and 6 others like this.
  4. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent....well done. Far easier than that "code" milarky. Why waste ALL that time doing/learning CW when it's sooooo much easier to get your DXCC in just 7 days with FT8....what an achievement; well done sir; i doff my cap to thee :D

CW who needs it :rolleyes:

5. R0QAF

R0QAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Да, всё таки, как быть с подтверждениями, ведь в разных LOG-ах они свои, где участники эксперимента подтверждали свои QSO, это очень интересный вопрос.

6. W9HBH

W9HBH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got my DXCC over a weekend during a world wide SSB contest. "During a good sunspot year".
    Then it took several months to confirm the contacts.

K0UO, K5FUV, AE5SB and 4 others like this.
  7. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on getting the DXCC!

I like any mode, CW, SSB, FT8, FT4, Olivia, all very good.

Cheers

NN2X, Tom

DL8KFO, KD5RJZ, NV4B and 5 others like this.
  8. NE5B

NE5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This past November (2019) I started using FT8 with 100 watts into a random (92') end-fed wire / 9:1 unum less than a month later I had WAS on via multiple bands.
    By the End of January, I had WAS on 80, 40,30 and 20 confirmed via LoTW and QRZ.
    With FT8 I've only managed to add 51 countries confirmed toward my DXCC

I look at that have DXCC and WAS via SSB and especially CW in a different light than I do my accomplishment with FT8, I think others will too - after all working those entties with CW and even SSB it is a far greater accomplishment than FT8.

I know first hand that some of those consider this new mode another way of cheapening the accomplishments we can achieve as Amateur Radio Operators. I was one of the No-Code Techs originally licensed in 1994, I heard snide remarks about not having to have code. However to move up to General I had to work to get 13wpm, then a little later I moved on up to Advanced.
    Don't know how long it would have taken me to pass the 20wpm CW reqirement. I took advantage of the dropping of the code requirement to move on up to Extra, I wasn't going to let those no-code kids that didn't understand the theory but could memorize questions and answers have access to more bandwidth than I had.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. W1ER

W1ER Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish there was an Anti-Like Button

W6MQI, DL8KFO, KC8ARO and 11 others like this.
  10. AD3C

AD3C Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you did not run into the operator who requires, "QSL overseas registered mail ONLY, SAE to return registered overseas mail, appropriate donation for return registered mailing."

$50 plus :)

But on a positive note, congratulations. It is a fine achievement in any mode.

DL8KFO and KG6BXW like this.
  11. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It goes to Joe Taylor.

KD4AYU and WD4ELG like this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Better yet would be thumb up, thumb down, and middle finger.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and KD4AYU like this.
  14. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

COMPUTERIZED QSOs should, and must, have a SEPARATE awards program........PERIOD.
    Granting an award to two computers? Gimme a break! Has anyone calculated how BORING Amateur Radio would become?
    Amateur Radio has SEPARATE awards for modes used (All CW, All SSB, Mixed), and FT8 should be no exception. An endorsement stating if the "station op" was awake, asleep, at work, at the gym, etc etc would be acceptable.......

N3AZB likes this.
  15. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work!!! :cool: took me a bit longer Hi Hi but I am just as proud of that as I am my Mixed and SSB all confirmed too, still working on the CW one but almost there :)

DL8KFO likes this.