FT-8, The New HF/6m Digital Mode, Introduction For Beginners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

A new mode I happened to learn about and practice. This is great for poor conditions, QRP or contests on digital. Not as sensitive as JT-65/9, but twice as fast. FT-8 can be done the same way you do PSK or RTTY or JT-65. A radio, an interface, and the software.

Subscribe to HamRadioConcepts on YouTube
    LIKE and SHARE on facebook.com/hamradioconcepts

Attached Files:

DL6BCX, N7VDS, AC2BX and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the ARRL, new mode FT8 will be able to be uploaded to LoTW sometime next week.

DL6BCX, K7SKE, W6NIK and 1 other person like this.
  3. K6DS

K6DS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Eric:
    Thanks for the great video! A long time user of PSK and now of jt65, but about to "jump in" to ft8. A bit intimidating, but here goes!

Dennis - K6DS

4. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun mode. It can work DX but the conditions have to be pretty good. JT65 and JT9 are best for DX. FT8 is good practice for MSK144 if you are going to try and work the Perseid meteor shower next month as the modes have the same timing, use auto sequence, etc... Great fun! FT8 worked really well the other day during the all day sporadic E event as the bubble was moving around very quickly and the fast pace allowed contacts to complete easily where JT65/JT9 would not due to the timing.

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using FT8 since July 20, 2017 and it's especially good on 6 meters with the in and out hit and miss sporadic E propagation. It's very fast but so far for me it's to fast so I've been using the automated mode only. It could be a contesting competitor with RTTY but I seriously doubt that the RTTY contesters (including me) will ever replace RTTY with FT8 as the go to contesting digital mode.

But I would play around in a brand new FT8 mode contest if it were ever created.

6. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A contest mode is being developed for FT8 as part of WSJT-X 1.8

KM4TIN likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI alternately right now mapping of the FT8 mode to DATA can be accomplished in TQSL, Settings, Preferences, ADIF modes, Add, FT8 -> DATA. Then when processing a log file TQSL will recognize those FT8 QSO's and upload accordingly.

Such FT8 QSO's are displayed online in LOTW as DATA mode and listed as accredited for awards such as DXCC, WAS, VUCC, etc.

73 de John WØPV

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 seemed to be used quite extensively in the CQ VHF contest two weekends ago. Probably even more so then MSK144 or older scatter techniques. Making that a truly "multimode" event. With sporadic prop and only a single radio set up it was a challenge to decide when to switch between CW, SSB, or digi to optimize rate. It should be interesting to see how this tactic works out in the up coming ARRL September VHF contest.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    ON4KPN and N2ADV like this.
  9. WB2MJG

WB2MJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What freq on 6m

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Currently FT8 ops on 6m is found mostly on USB 50.313 MHz.

WB2MJG likes this.