ad: M2Ant-1

First QSO EA On 76GHz Band

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by EA1BDF, Jul 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. EA1BDF

EA1BDF Ham Member QRZ Page

EA5S, KG4BFR, K6LPK and 4 others like this.
  2. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on a FB QSO! With the 90cm dish and bare mixers, you will be able to to extend your DX. Best DX will be when WX has lowest dewpoint. So get your winter jackets ready. I did >100km when DP was -15C. Send pix to DUBUS as well. 73, -Brian

AA5AZ and EA1BDF like this.
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Impressive and good audio...
    What I wonder is how much of the phase distortion in the signal was caused by Doppler shift induced in the signal by wind currents.

EA1BDF likes this.
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

EA1BDF likes this.
  6. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the alternatives was a full power allocation at 75.5 to 76 GHz. Somehow that seems better to me but I can't say I'm on the band. I'm focusing on 3300 to 3500 MHz right now with an OFDM modem project.

EA1BDF and AF6LJ like this.
  7. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the new USA EIRP limit renders better/future DX on the 4mm band almost impossible, short of WSJT modes. The chance for EME has been killed for sure. I would have rathered we got a "full power" allocation at 75.5 to 76. I'm not sure if a Rules change is a real option at this point either.

EA1BDF and AF6LJ like this.
  8. K1XS

K1XS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I read the ARRL article and have a question. I do not have any experience with microwave or radar systems. Why would a vehicle radar need 316 watts EIRP for a system that looks at other cars in the immediate area?

EA1BDF likes this.