ad: QuirkyQRP-1

First Look at the GIgaParts Explorer Backpack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Jan 5, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a good price for a technical bag. We don't need yet another specialty pack costing nearly $200 (looking at you Icom).

That said, looking at the pack and speeding through the video, I don't see where this pack is useful for anything but toting your gear from the car to the picnic table. It's far too complex, doesn't have space for a hydration bladder, and doesn't seem to have general space for large and bulky items. I prefer packs that are mostly empty space so I can pack/organize to fit my own needs.

My pack of choice for my SOTA activations is an Osprey Daylite Cinch. It's a small pack, but lightweight. It has 1 large chamber, top-loading with a drawstring (hence the name) and a smaller one on the outside accessible via a zipper. With a 3L hydration bladder, I have ample room for a KX2 in its padded case, various HF antennas, transformers, etc, a spare battery, HT, roll-up j-pole, some food, and a packable puffer coat if it's cold. If I elect to carry my vertical antenna, space gets a little tight, but that's not really a good antenna for long hikes anyway. There are also ample loops on the outside for attaching small items that won't fit inside or need to be accessible.

Chris

W5CJA likes this.
  2. KG6LI

KG6LI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen this pack being reviewed multiple times and it's still a head-scratcher. If you're looking for an equipment organizer for short jaunts to the picnic bench then I'm on board. But a pack needs to address some crucial items before we get into fancy closures. First, most real packs have an internal frame that needs to be custom fit to the person. This can be a daunting task as everyone is shaped differently. Without a properly fit pack, with an internal frame, the load is not properly transferred to the hips (where it should be). There should be little, or no load, on the shoulders. Next is hydration. Most modern pack designs are based on a hydro-cell. This design puts the weight of the water closer to your body where the weight distribution is better placed. Plus it allows you constant access to your water. Third is adequate space for your survival gear. Only after these criteria are addressed can you start to discuss "radio-based design features".

This back is more like a bookbag for radios..... 73 Mark

KI7ZRI and W5CJA like this.
  3. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Were you given this backpack in exchange for a review by GigaParts?

KI7ZRI and KE0GXN like this.
  4. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally, agree with you with it missing the hydration bladder space.

5. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, i reached out to GigaParts and asked for the bag. There was NO write or stated request for a product review.

6. K0LWC

But they gave you the bag for free or substantially discounted once you reached out? Am I reading that right?

KI7ZRI, W5CJA, N1RBD and 1 other person like this.
  7. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you paid by Ham Radio Prep to push their product?

N1RBD, KA0HCP and WZ7K like this.
  8. K0LWC

Yes, and it was disclosed properly in the content as required by law. ;)

KE0GXN likes this.
  9. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol, so you're one of those types that goes and reports videos for not clicking a check box? Your ninja baiting tactics are well honed I see. I mean you could have easily said hey you might need to click that promo box just to be a friendly type of guy in your initial comment. One might think a YouTuber like yourself with 17k subs would want to help a guy with just over 2k. Just an observation.

10. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What branch were you a "tanker" in?

KE0GXN and WN1MB like this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you purchase the pack or did they give it to you free of charge?

W5CJA, K9TDW and KE0GXN like this.
  12. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of these Tubers get free gear and or substantially discounted gear to either “review” or “giveaway”, it’s all part of the Ham Tuber monetization game.

Nothing new there.

It all blends in nicely with the likes, subs, views, superchats, pateron and buy me a [insert cool word of the day here]…..or as they like to say….. “to help grow the channel.” ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    KI7ZRI, K9TDW, N1RBD and 1 other person like this.
  13. KE0GXN

There you go Matt @K0LWC

You just made the big time OM!:D
    5EE8DA11-6852-4C1A-AB06-9289A833C56F.jpeg

14. KL5LD

KL5LD Ham Member QRZ Page

Fellow Alaskans!

15. KE0GXN

No, not me, Don lives there. I have never been. I just guessed that is where he may have been in the picture given his JBER address on his Zed page.

I don’t like the cold sir. :oops::)