ad: ProAudio-1

Fears Sweden's new driving regs may hit amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, the antennas on your vehicle is NOT justifiable probable cause to make a vehicle stop. He was fishing, and under any departments REGS/Laws is a violation of your rights. The problem is exercising your objection in an appropriate manner, as not to bring on yourself more head aches.

In regards to the Distracted driving law, there are provisions in the law that exempt EMS/Law Enforcement, just because of the nature of their job.

The people that enacted these laws, had good intentions(maybe), but didn't examine all the aspects of their actions prior to approving them. Like Amateur Radio Operators assist in emergency communications. Who do they call for help when their high tech information network goes south, The Amateur Radio Operator!

KK5R likes this.
  2. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Retired LEO too and I have to second the observation on never seeing or hearing of a crash related to two-way radio operation. Cell phones, yes; two-way radio, no.

K2EZ, KR3DX, NH7RO and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3BR

K3BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't pot legal in Oregon????

NH7RO and KK5R like this.
  4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the Feds, it's not legal in any State.

5. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Nailed...!

NH7RO likes this.
  6. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not keep a copy of the directive in the car, for the officers to read? I know that Norwegian hams have successfully taught inspecting officers that the regulation in Norway applies to mobile phones communicating through a "public network", while all others are exempt.
    73 de Frode LA6VQ

NH7RO, LB0AH and KK5R like this.
  7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

The old definition of statistics is that if you have one foot in the oven and the other in the freezer, on the average you're comfortable.

Andy, personal experience beats data collection and statistics every time because all data collection follow predefined/predicted parameters and [usually] does not include everyone affected or with a supposedly valid opinion.

Drivers texting while mobile is an all-consuming activity in most cases and even checking the caller's ID or to see who sent the message is not nearly like a quick glance to see which knob to twist. In fact, that quick glance at a radio is a fraction of the time consumed when we check the rear-view mirrors and instrument panel on the car as all good driving instructors teach their students to do as often as once per minute.

Thanks much for your insight. I also note that you are from a Commonwealth state which says a lot in this case.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    KR3DX and NH7RO like this.
  8. K2EZ

K2EZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The data is pretty clear that "hands free" does not reduce the level of distraction of cell phone call.

All the distracted driving laws, crafted ostensibly to deal with the problem of cell phones, are specifically crafted to insure cell phone operation is permitted. Sanitization by "hands free" pretty much does nothing except inhibit TXTing where there aren't other laws that govern that.

The last thing we need it to make ham radio more immersive by use of headsets and vox to make it more like using a cell phone. Creating a problem where one doesn't exist is pointless.

9. K2EZ

K2EZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not in Oregon, but have driven thru 32 states with my mobile and law enforcement thus far has shown a rather pronounced lack of curiosity about antennas or my equipment. Very much unlike the general public. There been a couple instances when I been stopped on the side of the road and an officer asked if I was okay and was gone in a heartbeat when I said there was no problem.

KK5R likes this.
  10. KC2SST

KC2SST Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to sell you a rock that prevents cancer. I've not gotten cancer in the entire time I've owned this rock. Certainly, my personal experience trumps epidemiology and decades of oncology research. I can sell you this rock, all for the low price of whatever a KPA-1500 is going for.

W4RAV likes this.