ad: Retevis-1

FCC Report and Order Posted on New Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just reread the order and the above is correct.  There is no change coming in the Novice privileges.  None.  I don't know where it is coming from either.  No change in Novice, guys.  The only change in operating privileges is for the Technician license.  No others are affected.  Period.

2. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand corrected. You are correct.

3. WA4RYW

WA4RYW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're at the absolute bottom of the sunspot cycle. The higher bands will be dead as a hammer for the most part, irrespective of the amount of hams we flood the bands with. wait five or six years. Those bands will be hopping again, flood or not.

4. W5ROY

W5ROY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Yes i voted to keep the code requirement!!! My XYL has tried many times to learn the code , but to no avail. It is about time she gets a break, and gets something for her efforts. No big talk on the chicken band here about getting into ham radio. Lets put it to bed and quit beating a dead horse.

ARRL VE 73 Welcome new hams

de W5ROY Roy

5. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

Lets put this code / no code thing to rest it's over, live with it.

Accept the fact we are all GOOD BUDDIES now!!! [​IMG]

I read the R&O and this is good.

Merry Christmas to all

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, see above.

7. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This doesn't prove anything else other than the FCC doesn't think that code keeps bad apples out. The R&O is a decision by the FCC, not the absolute truth.

8. KY1V

KY1V Guest

Wait...so, if the government states it [opinion], then it must be true?

LMAO

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Exact new NCT privleges when rules go into effect:

CW ONLY
    80M - 3.525 to 3.600 MHz
    40M - 7.025 to 7.125 MHz
    15M - 21.025 to 21.200 MHz

CW, RTTY AND DATA
    10M - 28.000 to 28.300 MHz

CW AND SSB PHONE
    10M - 28.300 to 28.500 MHz

And remember you're limited to 200W.

10. N2RJ

CW is 100% a digital mode.

Wrong. The term binary refers to two states. Digital doesn't have to be binary. Digital simply means that discrete values with finite resolution are used instead of a continuous spectrum with infinite resolution(analog).

LAWL!

Dit = 0, Dah =1 (or vice versa).

There you go, digital mode.

CW bears a striking resemblance to ASCII or EBCDIC, where characters are represented by fixed numerical values.

But by your logic, RTTY, PSK and Packet aren't digital modes either, because they use tones to represent 1's and 0's and don't simply key the transmitter on and off.

11. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the CBers know me from the Tech Classes I teach.  I had one young man start the class a couple years ago that quit once he found out that it was illegal to QRM people, or 'drop the hammer' on them as he called it.  He was interested because of the higher power we were allowed to run.

The broadcast folks heard it through the news.  The professor had just e-mailed me a couple weeks ago and told me he has been interested in ham radio for 40 years but refused to learn the code.  I tried to explain that the Techs did not need the code.  He didn't want to be restricted to the lowest level.  As soon as I heard about the code test being dropped I told him about it.  He was really excited.

I don't make a habit of conversing with CBers as I can't tolerate the filthy language.  My e-mail address is available to them as it is passed out with the information on the Tech classes.  The only new interest I have seen comes from people that would make great operators.

I am writing a piece about the new rules for our local paper, The Muskegon Chronicle, so in a few days our entire city will know what has happened.  The editor I am working with is very excited about the news.  He learned Morse Code as a part of Scouting.

Actually, Lee, the editor asked if I could come up with an alternative view of dropping the test.  If you wanted to write something worth publishing in a newspaper I may be able to arrange it.  So far much the stuff I have read here expressing discontent about the new ruling is not fit to print in our paper.   Remember, 99.6 percent of the people reading the paper won't be hams.  Some don't even know what ham radio is.  The girl that at that answers the phone for the Chronicle is one of them  I would guess that almost 1/4 of our population does not know our hobby exists.

That is all about to change.....

12. N2RJ

If the Government always speaks the truth, why are we wasting so much taxpayer dollars with the justice system?

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

The real test will be whether or not we hear "echo boxes" and "beeps" all over the phone bands.

Maybe we'll end up with channelized bands after all.  Its a much simpler transition that way.

But, in the strictest sense, the record does reflect some notorious bad apples that did pass the code test. Murderers, thieves, master spies and con artists. So, guess the code wasn't that great as a filter.

[​IMG]

14. K8MHZ

No polling techniques were employed at all.  This is simply a statement of my personal experience.

Has yours differed?  Have people that are CB operators approached you?

Actually, once the article I am writing hits our local paper I think there may just be some interest from CB operators.  There may just be some people out there that started on CB and are sick and tired of the low lifes there and want something better.  If they want to join our ranks, follow the rules, learn and contribute to our hobby I welcome them and will gladly teach them.

How about you?

15. K8MHZ

If that happens the person doing it will also be sending their call sign, hence their ID.

It is up to us to Elmer them and politely explain that we don't use such features on ham radio.

That is if it even becomes a problem. I doubt it will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.