ad: elecraft

FCC Report and Order Posted on New Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I resemble that comment! [​IMG]

Happy Holidays! John, K7FD

2. K4WDE

K4WDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would anyone need to when you keep quoting yourself?[​IMG]?[​IMG]?[​IMG]?[​IMG]?

3. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were looking for a real entry-level license. Simple, fast, limited time. Similar to the old Novice, which brought so many of us into this hobby/service, but without the code requirement.

The Tech is not that. It was designed for technical people (hence the name) to work VHF and above.

I think we do need a real entry-level license, and I don't think we need a Tech. Bring back a modern version of Novice, fold the Tech and General into one, and we would have a sensible license stucture again.

4. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are slightly incorrect. Tech+ licensees do not receive anything extra. Tech no-codes get all the same privs as the Tech+ now so that means they get 10m voice and CW access to several of the HF bands. Novice class licensees will gain the same privs as Tech + so now they get full voice privs on VHF and UHF now where they only had voice on 220 before.

5. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

One problem w/ dropping the cw requirement is that ham radio has lost it's 'trademark' so to speak. Merriam Webster defines a trademark as "a distinguishing characteristic or feature firmly associated with a person or thing..."

In the public's mind, Ham Radio and Morse Code went hand in hand. Having to know 'the code' has been our trademark for years. With that requirement behind us, what now will be our distinguishing characteristic? Your ideas and comments welcome!

Happy Holidays to all!

73 John K7FD

6. KC7GNM

CW is not a digital mode. The term digital refers to two states. On or OFF. CW is not an on off mode. Yes you key the transmitter on or off but the lengths of the tones are what make CW what it is. With the two different lengths of tones and the spacing it does not qualify as being a digital mode.

7. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The R&O has been published.  The FCC has made their final decision on the matter.

Get over it.  

It's now time to move on.

Keith
    KB1SF / VA3KSF

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't get along in the sandbox children, you'll all have to go to your room.

9. KC7GNM

14. Based on our review of the record in the proceeding and on consideration of the various
    comments on this issue, we believe that because the international requirement for telegraphy proficiency
    has been eliminated, we should treat Morse code telegraphy as we do other communications techniques.
    In this connection, we note that our Rules do not require individuals to pass a practical examination to
    demonstrate some degree of proficiency in non-telegraphy communications techniques. Rather,
    individuals demonstrate knowledge of other communication techniques and technical qualifications by
    passing written examinations composed of questions that prove that the examinee possesses the
    operational and technical qualifications required for the privileges authorized by the operator license.

We believe, therefore, that written examinations are sufficient to determine whether a person is qualified
    to be issued an amateur radio operator license. Accordingly, we conclude that the public interest will best
    be served by eliminating the telegraphy examination requirement as a separate examination requirement
    in the amateur service. To achieve this result, we will amend Section 97.501 of our Rules to eliminate the
    requirement that an individual demonstrate five wpm proficiency in telegraphy in order to qualify for a
    General or Amateur Extra Class operator license.

This is cut straight out of the R&O. This is what most people cannot get through their heads. Morse is a mode. Since other modes are not afforded their own test why should morse code.

10. W5GNB

W5GNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that the CODE is officially history, it is time to create yet another contest.

How about the "CB JAMBOREE CONTEST"?? I am sure the ARRL would be happy to be the Proud sponsor.

The exchange could be "Hey Good Buddy, Your TEN-EIGHT and TREE TOP TALL"

Let's also not forget extra points for the Loudest Power Mic, Noise toys, and the Most DIRTY amplifier!

It would be most appropiate to replace the Straight Key Night contest!!

11. K3UD

K3UD Guest

I don't think that Novices get anything out of this. It would have made sense to equalize the Novice, Tech and Tech+ in terms of privileges but I just did not see this in the FCC's Report and Order.

Did I miss this or is this an interpretation of some of the language in the R&O?

George
    K3UD

12. KC7GNM

Here is another quote fromt he R&O that really negates the arguments all the old farts talk about.

As noted in the record, the claim “that code requirements help eliminate “bad apples” from the radio hobby has not proven correct in the past and is not a viable argument for the present, or future

This shows that all these guys talking about code keeping the bad apples out are false. I would think the FCC would know more about violations than most of the OF that think they know.

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Novices get nothing new. I don't know where this is coming from. I see so much disinformation on the web about so many things that I am reluctant to believe anything I see.

Joe

14. KC7GNM

Apparently you are very misinformed. Morse code is not history. The testing of Morse is history. I bolded that so you might be able to understand that. Apparently you have no clue what this R&O means. I will make note of your callsign and be sure that I will never talk to you on the air if you feel like this. Get a clue. Morse code will still be used on the bands just not tested.

15. WA4RYW

WA4RYW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One will typically not find your rank and file CBer in the social circles you seem to be hanging out with. Engineering professors don't normally "boot scoot" with the freeband culture. I'm skeptical that your polling methods may fall short of accepted scientific standards and procedures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.