ad: TinyPaddle-1

FCC Report and Order Posted on New Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of elmering why not make each license class a time limit between getting each level. For instance, everyone should start out at tech. They cannot take the General or Extra test at the same test session. 1 year must pass before they can take the General test and then 1 year after that to take the Extra. That means at least 2 years of operating on the air before a person can achieve the highest license class of Extra. This in my opinion would work out great. As it stands now with the new ruling techs would get hf privs on limit bands and they would have to operate at least a year before getting any more bands. This procedure would stop this instant Extra stuff most of you guys are talking about. Also I would make the tests harder. Maybe make Tech a 50 question test. General 75 and Extra 100. Make the tests a mixture of fill in the blank and multiple choice. Make the questions relate to todays rules and regulations, not 20 years ago. This would satisfy everyones need and still not test a mode of Ham radio called CW.

2. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleting the double post.

3. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course not everybody is good at mentoring, Rodger. I never said they are. By the same token, not everyone should be an Extra, either. I don't see a conflict there. But I do think that helping other hams should be one of the hallmarks of an Extra.

Obviously, you are Extra material, you've already qualified in the mentoring area. :eek:)

Merry Christmas, and a happy and prosperous New Year to you and yours.

4. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

My apologies I see I miss-typed and left a "D" out

it should have been Rodger, not Roger, My bad. [​IMG]

5. AE6JC

AE6JC Ham Member QRZ Page

K4JF said in part:

------

Merry Christmas, and a happy and prosperous New Year to you and yours.

------

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, also!!!

Wishing you and yours the very best, I remain...

Rodger, AE6JC

6. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

WAnted Used KEYS..

THEY MAKE good REBAR material for cement side walks!

7. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if a troll a KEY behind the boat with one do I want it close to the bottom or top to catch a fish...?[​IMG]?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a good start.

9. KY4XF

KY4XF Ham Member QRZ Page

I still favor CW testing. Oh, and yes CW is a DIGITAL mode. CW just isn't binary. It is trinary. The third part of the equation being duration. Most computer science majors studying "fuzzy logic" circuits would agree that on, off, and duration are the major elements of such a system, or so I have heard from those more knowledgable than myself. I think the FCC shot themselves in the foot with this one and just sent us 200 years backwards technologically (if we don't study operation modes that are duration dependant, we may lose a very valuable technology in the future). I think the no-coders are the true luddites. However, that is my personal opinion. It is not right or wrong, just an opinion.

10. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it IS binary.  It's present or not present, only two states.  You're confusing the time domain (which would be I guess analogous to digit placement value) as a state, which it is not.  Yes, the time domain does impart information, but it's not a 'state'.

The problem is that a lot of people want to insist that something that can have multiple different conditions but the data only have 2 'states' is still binary.

OK, is that PCI card in your computer binary data? Or not? I'll even further clarify it. How about data bit 0? Just one bit. Is that binary or not?

Were you aware that PCI has '3' states? Yep, 3 states, to send a 2-state data bit. But the data bit is STILL binary.

11. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Alas, you're confusing an implementation of Morse code, with Morse code itself.

Morse code has five symbols:

dit
    dah
    intra-character space
    intra-word space
    inter-word space

There are many ways of encoding Morse, one of which is textual:

- .... .. ... / . -. -.-. --- -.. .. -. --. / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . ... / ....- / ... -.-- -- -... --- .-.. ...

and the four symbols for it are

-
    (space)
    /

whereas a straight forward temporal encoding uses two symbols: mark and space.

Morse code is not binary any more than decimal is binary. But just as decimal can be represented in binary, so can Morse code.

4, 0100, ....-, 1010101011 and 00110011 are all ways of representing the concept 'four'. (They are, in order, decimal, binary, morse-as-text, temporal-morse, and ascii)

12. KI4KFW

KI4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

If no one answers you it is on New Years eve night.

13. KI4KFW

KI4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

No CW is not going away because the test element is. Keep practicing and start off with simple CW contacts Like copying the senders call sign and sending a 55x report and your location. That is a great way too start CW contacts without having too pass a test.

14. W3RCB

W3RCB Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC action, without a public hearing, makes me ill.

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's probably best no "public hearing" happened. The FCC would see us as a bunch of fools, on both sides.

The FCC proceeded the same way with this as with every other issue of similar nature. Call for petitions, NPRM, and R & O. This has been thoroughly vetted, all arguments have been made and considered, then the decision was made.

End of story and debate.

If you guys don't like it, you can petition for a change back to 20wpm code and written tests about vacuum tubes and superregen receivers.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.