ad: QSLWorks-1

FCC Notice of Proposed Rule Making: Hams to lose access to 3.3 - 3.5 GHz?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WY7BG, Dec 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CHAIRMAN PAI: THANK YOU, COMMISSIONER. IN MARCH 2018, CONGRESS PASSED AND THE PRESIDENT SIGNED THE MOBILE NOW ACT. THAT LAW AIMS TOO PRONOUNCE LEADERSHIP IN SEVERAL WAYS. AMONG OTHER THINGS IS REQUIRES THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH TO EXPLORE SHARING OF THE 3.1-3.55 GIGAHERTZ BAND BETWEEN FEDERAL OPERATIONS AND COMMERCIAL WIRELESS SERVICES. CURRENTLY PORTIONS OF THIS BAND ARE USED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. WITH NONFEDERAL USERS USING IT ON A SECONDARY BASIS. TO PREPARE THE UPPER PORTION OF THE 3.1, 3.55 GIGAHERTZ BAND FOR THE FUTURE SHARED USE CONTEMPLATED BY CONGRESS WE'RE PROPOSING TO REMOVE THE EXISTING NONFEDERAL SECONDARY RADIO LOCATION AND AMATEUR ALLOCATIONS ON 3.3-3.55 BAND AND RELOCATE TO OTHER FREZZES SUCH AS THE 3.1-3.33 PORTIONS.

I'm pretty sure "Frezzes" is "Frequencies."

Is the bold portion a ray of hope?

KF4ZKU and W0PV like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened and per the live transcript, in his presentation Chairman Pai said, "...WE'RE PROPOSING TO REMOVE THE EXISTING NONFEDERAL SECONDARY RADIO LOCATION AND AMATEUR ALLOCATIONS ON 3.3-3.55 BAND AND RELOCATE TO OTHER FREZZES (sic) SUCH AS THE 3.1-3.33 PORTIONS."

That seems like a very reasonable 230 MHz carve-out.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

(We should all) thank the people who worked on your behalf, friends.

THINK about why this strategy was used. Hint: somewhere after all the objections from other parties, we WILL, IMO, get a reasonable carve out ( somewhere between 20 and 100 MHz bandwidth) somewhere between 3 and 3.6 GHz.

PLEASE, on this thread, let's drop this trolling activist crap. It hasn't got us anything,IMO, but embarrassment.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    N0TZU, KV6O and K7JEM like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't make me do it without the 'frez' on....

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not so sure that's what happened.

What they approved was the draft of the NPRM.

The draft NPRM that was published Nov 21 eliminates the amateur allocation , it does not move it. The draft NPRM does however relocate other services from 3.3-3.5 to 3.1-3.3. What it says about amateur allocation is to vacate the band and go use our other frequencies elsewhere.

Check the proposed new frequency allocation table for Part 97 that is in that NPRM draft. There is NOTHING for amateurs between the 2.4 and 5.9 GHz bands.

So, unless there has been a new draft NPRM prepared, that was not published ahead of this meeting, I would not jump to the conclusion that amateurs will still have any 3.X GHz allocation.

Wait for the ARRL news release and wait for the actual NPRM to be released before celebrating. In the meantime, IMO, some are reading too much into what seems like a rather garbled transcript.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    KX4O likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a spectrum user.

I respectfully decline your COMMAND to unite against the "political and monetary clout" of the mobile carriers.

I see no evidence that their "greed knows no bounds".

KR3DX and K7JEM like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait....

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is probably a speech recognition transcription, hence the dumb errors.

KX4O likes this.
  9. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are the holder of patents on "fractal" multiband antennas, and therefore would profit from the mobile providers having more spectrum on more bands. And, tellingly, you're failing to disclose that here as you troll, with annoying multicolored messages filled with invective.

This is the second time within one year in which you've actively opposed hams' spectrum interests here on QRZ. The other time, you opposed the allocation of the 4m band in ITU Region 2, which also would have benefited our community. It's clear that this is no coincidence.

Everyone, ignore this troll. We need to defend our spectrum. Let's organize to do it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    KF4ZKU likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Brett,

I disagree with you. I don't always disagree with you, but this is a case where you are both acting extreme and asking us to 'sign on' for reasons that we--other US hams in general-- don't seem to share. Hams, in general, don't hate the carriers. We don't see them as "greed knows no bounds". Many, many, many hams WORK for the carriers. Many. many, many hams DEVELOP TECHNOLOGY for the carriers. If we saw them as "greed(y) Know(ing) no bounds", then why would we do that?

Yep. I am proud of the fractal antenna technology. It got started with Part 97. Yep. Awesome!

What does all this tell you about your point of view-- when we do not support it for these stated reasons?

Accept it: the world is just a conspiracy to make you have delusions of leading the world in a kumbayah firechat...without the greedy technology of free market enterprise.

You may want to go back to the days when we communicated with smoke signals, but the Part 97 that I signed into has a mission (amongst others) of "advancing the radio art".

Who made you God, Brett?? What right do you have to call ME a troll, or NN4RH an "anti ham ham"??

Get real-- we are going to lose the full 200 MHz allocation at 9cm, and there are those working to help secure a Part 97 carve out, either within or near that allocation. If you think you are helping them, then think again.

Heck, you haven't even shown any evidence that YOU USE the 9cm band. Are you SCARED to answer that question?

Chip W1YW

KR3DX likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Profit is da nutz!

It let's you help people personally, pay employee salaries, sends their kids to college, enables others to become themselves through donations, yadayadayada. In other words, not depending on the STATE to 'each according to their needs'.

Actually I hold many many patents on a variety of fractal and telecom related technologies. Talk NERDY to me! Getting a new one every few weeks.For example, last week's patent was on shrunken wideband antenna--that already goes from 600-6000 MHz, so adding a new mid-band doesn't change the what it does. But HEY! Would you like me to POST THE PRESS RELEASE:)?

Next week's patent is for corrosion mitigation using fractals in battery electrodes. This means you don't need the fiery lithium composites to make efficient batteries. Dendrites kill batteries. I know how to kill densdrites. Yep. Yessah!

Then there is another one on wideband invisibility cloaks. It seems.. to.. be.. disappearing.

These are all issuances in the next oh, 6 weeks. There's a whole bunch of allowances in addition to that.

Absolutely correct. Don't push for spectrum we don't use, or in that case need, for Part 97. It was not a coincidence. I will keep us aligned in being realistic about OUR needs in a world outside of ham radio that frankly, just wants us shut down entirely. I will continue to present the burden of FACTS to keep us realistic and aligned.

Use the FACTS to make your own action plan---DON'Tt tell OTHERS what they M-U-S-T do.

FACT are really awesome. When I get NEW ones, from others I may disagree with, it re-hones my own view. It can even CHANGE my view!

Love dem FACTS Jack!

SOME of us work hard to prevent the shut down of the hobby and service we love :) There will certainly be losses of allocations and rearrangements. SOME of us are trying to minimize that, rather than give detractors ammunition to close us down.

If someone spends 15 years alerting you to that, they deserve your thanks, not your insult at best, slander at worst.

But...I am a nice ol' guy. I forgive you.

Maybe this is just a difference in J-Hole versus Laramie perspectives....

Well, lotsa WIND in WYoming! :)

Chip W1YW

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Organize around what premise: that we ALL 'hate the carriers whose greed knows no bounds'?

You've had some time to pull this together: by your own admission you tried the same thing last Summer on the 4m debacle.

WHAT are you suggesting we do
    and
    WHY should we do it.

I went to Brandeis, Brett. I 've seen more 'organized' than you have wind vanes in Laramie. I've seen ones that makes sense; I've seen ones that had impact; I've seen ones that were activism for the sake of activism.

So...DO something. SET the example. Give people FACTS why they should do this.

DON'T divert your lack of direction on this by picking out alleged poster boys of evil greedy trolling hams... I am lots of things, but evil and greedy are not apt descriptions. And I am hardly a troll.

Chip W1YW

13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

hypocrisy in action [​IMG]

KF4ZKU likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing you must do is take that paper bag off your head and keep away from the catnip ;-)

W1ZOT likes this.
  15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How are you going to do that? What specifically do you propose to do?

Or is this just empty bravado?