ad: Mountaingoat-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA3FAD

KA3FAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just wondering , when they elliminate the code requirement for those who cant get it are they also going to lessen the technical requirements for those who cant get it [​IMG]

2. KI6ADA

KI6ADA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I am still learning CW and I am scheduled for my VE session on April 29th. Dayton is in the middle of May. I plan on having my HF approval before Dayton. Why would the FCC say that they are not going to make an anouncement at Dayton? It sounds like to me they are going to announce a new band plan. I am for Tech plus being able to have access to all CW band assignments. The reason is that would motivate the Tech plus to upgrade to General and Extra for all phone and digital privelages on all HF bands. Have a great day and look for me on HF in May. [​IMG]

3. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That analogy is worse than the physician one earlier!

4. WD8PCU

WD8PCU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the Code Requirement situation I see it as this.

I have been in Ham radio for nearly half a century .
    What I see that is the real concern for me is NOT
    so much the CW topic. Instead what I have carefully
    been observing is the ABSCENCE of INCENTIVE to
    care if anyone really is RETAINING the HAM RADIO
    SPIRIT ? In short why memorize your written test
    just to get your license? Is it not better for ones soul
    to feel happy because you understand what it was that
    you studied that allowed you to demonstrate your ability
    to digest some knowledge that you enjoyed?
    What I see is a far more disheartening thing happening here in that there is not the desire to do the experimenting
    with even the simple basic circuitry. Yes I do operate fancy
    modern equipment. However on the other hand I have old
    equipment also. I have Homebrew Stuff as well.
    Now if and when the Code is Eliminated what I am concerned about is will we still be as HAMS still interested
    in the Hobby and playing around with the Basic Circuits
    every so often ? Or will someone come along and decide that there is NO NEED to have any more knowledge of
    BASIC ELECTRONICS, simply because todays stuff is so
    complicated and high tech.
    I am nothing special and I am certainly not saying that we
    do this or that. What I am saying is Ham Radio is a beautiful Hobby ESPECIALLY when you can put together a
    basic circuit and monitor its Voltage and Current and Signal
    path. Let us all be thankful that we have this knowledge of
    Electronic Circuitry and that we are able to be privileged to enjoy it and to use it.

5. K4JF

Of course.

6. K4JF

For the time being.

Frankly, I really doubt that NCI will quietly fold their tents and slink away. My guess is that they will continue to live up to their name.

7. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is for the newer folks, so OT's...bear with me. forgive me if im saying stuff you already know...it goes to show what can change in a few short years.

I took my test in 1983, im still a newbie in many OT's minds, but thats ok. my first license class was tech...just a tech. i had the option to bypass the novice if i could do it.

The privleges i was afforded at the time were CW only on HF, 4 bands...80, 40, 15 and 10. and all access on 6m and up.

At that time, i think there were more DXers and HF users among the ranks...and the "6 and up" crowd was a more specialized group. if you were a tech or novice and wanted to join the rest of your buddies or elmers on HF...particularly on SSB, you needed to upgrade. in doing so, you were rewarded with more frequencies to use and higher power too.

Now, everyone KNEW 20 was the best DX band worldwide (ahem ahem...sorry, had to cough there), and if you wanted to join the big boys and start posting numbers on the sacred DXCC tally, you needed to upgrade to at least general.

Wow!! that sounded great, i always wanted to DX like the rest...so in 84, i upgraded. i was working all sorts of countries, on SSB and CW...any band i wanted. it was great...using simple human psychology, of course i wanted more!! I wanted to talk to that guy down on 14.180...after a few years, i upgraded again...THEN...i wanted to join the elite!!
    45 minutes after passing my advanced, i passed my extra...this was 10 years ago. i was off the air for 10 years before that, mind you...things had changed in the short time i was away.

These days, as everything does, the basic structure of ham radio has shifted a bit....the "6 and up" crowd is more common than ever and the DXer is a special group. needs change, peoples interests change, and yet, some people dont want change because they fear the unfamiliar...others truly think the end will come. and this is felt on both sides of the issue.

Incentive upgrading then, and more strongly in the years before i became a ham, was the norm. technology was at its appropriate place as were the publics (and the hobby's) interests. you want to work 20? upgrade! you want 2 kilowatts? upgrade! (it was 2 kw back then...more than was needed). as most hobbies, this one is market driven from a supply standpoint, and passion driven from a member standpoint...the 2 dont always mix.

Also, this is an old hobby. one with 'forefathers' who pioneered the way. these men and women were the deep inspiration for many of the OT's who have gone before us...and a few who are still here. many older folks see the world change to something THEY would'nt have changed it into and resign into the only defense they have left...complaining, and many younger folks tend to not appreciate tried and proven methods that only years of experience can provide, therefore, passing up golden opportunities to learn from the older folks.

In looking at the bigger picture that makes the most sense to me, it seems that technology is truly taking off faster than ever, and ham radio is trying to adjust to this change...it is a hobby of both technology and tradition, sometimes awkward bedfellows. we then arrive at the impasse we have here.

Code testing will go away, code will not...technology dictates its demise in the testing realm, tradition dictates its strong standing...as does its reliability...to remain as a viable mode for us all to use if we wish.

Truth is, not as many folks coming into the hobby have the big, juicy carrot of 20 meter DXing dangled in thier face these days...not nearly as much as ISS qso's or many of the other newer modes that can challenge them....just like the idea of building a spark xmtr did for our forebearers.
    The testing is becoming less technical, the people coming in are far more likely to become MORE technical as they move deeper into the hobby. NCT is nothing more than a doorway to these people.

If they lose interest and leave the hobby, it will likely be from a cold welcome than a missing code element.

As for me, i stayed on HF, still play with old keys and make DX qsos...even got an all time new one today!! still use paper logs and still have a lot of fun doing all this...i dont own any VHF gear, and im a dummy when it comes to keplerian data.
    Im an extra now, and i would like to upgrade to tech so i can play with all the new people on the satellites...speaking of which, i made the offer. if any newbies want to qso on cw, i am usually on 7120 or 3720 at night, and higher up in in the daytime, when i have time. i hang out with a group of cw ops there who are slower than most...i put away the bug and try to drum up new blood with an old straight key. come look for me. or anyone calling CQ SKCC, any one of us will be happy to qso with you at YOUR speed...QRS is welcome there. [​IMG]

Longwinded, i know...but thanks for reading. im sure ham radio will be fine, even with all of the new things happening. take care all, i hope to work you on whatever mode you happen to be on.

73...Adam, N7YA

8. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was 10 years old, I had to walk 10 miles to school in a blizzard, so should everyone else.

I didn't have a calculator to help with my homework. I had to use my head, so should everyone else.

I had to start driving with a 1955 Buick, so should everyone else.

I had to go to a movie theater to see a movie, so should everyone else.

I had to watch a black and white TV for years before we got a color set, so should everyone else.

I had to go out to the outhouse to do my business, so should everyone else.......

YES!! It really does sound stupid, doesn't it? In every country that has dropped the CW requirement, things are running just as smoothly as they always did. Times change. Change with them or stay way behind in your little corner.

It has been 2 years now, and I can't believe after all of this time, the babies are still crying over milk that hasn't even spilled. Move on already.

9. KC9GUZ

KC9GUZ QRZ Member

Yeah i hear it all the time on 80 meters and other freqs.
    Ive actually heard some older gentlemen say they would rather see the FCC kill off amateur radio in the USA than drop the code test for HF. Now thats narrow minded!
    As for VHF/UHF its ok but repeaters, simplex, echolink and linux are not really for me. Thats why im studying the code to take the test, get my General, and be done with it and go on and enjoy HF.

10. KC9GUZ

KC9GUZ QRZ Member

Hmm I know a few hams here in my area that are older Extras, Advances, and Generals that say this. They would like to see more people get their lisenses and get on the air even if that means dropping the code test. At first they were against the idea now they see it another way....

11. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

whatever

12. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty much...

13. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

Know code.

That is all.

14. W0VU

W0VU Ham Member QRZ Page

SF can say that, he can slip down below the US phone band to work SSB, When the MULITUDE arrives!!!!!!!

15. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many thanks for the complement!

I thought seriously about elaborating further on this subject, but then I remembered that sometimes it is far better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Keith
    KB1SF / VA3KSF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.