FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess the crybabies will get their way.

2. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo!! man, i must be twisted for sticking around to watch this thread...its doing just what i expected it would.

But your post is right...EMT's will also be there to save the lives of QRZ posters who get all worked up and keel over at the keyboard.

Theres only a small minority of hams who do this for true "emergency prepardeness". the rest do it for fun....or so im told. i know i do.

...AND YOU SPELLED BLEEDING WRONG!!!!

heh heh, just kidding...youre right, some folks get worked up over the strangest things.

Its puzzling to me, really. I can see getting stressed out by money falling short and you have no food for your family, i can see getting stressed out by a house fire that takes everything you own, and the stress levels would be immense if that fire took a loved one...but to get all worked up by what MIGHT happen to ham radio???

I just cant explain the human psyche sometimes.

73...Adam, N7YA

3. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't think they will.  The FCC is most likely going to eliminate the code testing requirement.

4. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Requiring proficiency in the Morse code in order to obtain a Ham Radio license is much like having to demonstrate how to shoe a horse in order to get a driver’s license.

Keith
    KB1SF / VA3KSF

5. N6BOA

N6BOA Ham Member QRZ Page

K3NG - that was too funny...and appropriate.

6. K1MVP

K1MVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah,--more "words of wisdom" from Canada.

73, K1MVP

7. KC0VNT

KC0VNT Ham Member QRZ Page

What a dilema.  About four months ago I passed the Technician.
    I feel like a lot of you, not a "Ham" unless one can receive and send code.  So I have been practicing to no avail, because I have 50% hearing loss in both ears.  Aids amplify the sound OK, but doesn't allow me to distinguish between dits and dahs.  Does anybody have an idea on this other than flashlights and vibrations?
    I hate to wait out the FCC to make General and above.   KC0VNT [​IMG]

8. W4CNG

W4CNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I grew up in the "Old School" (1960's) where we did not argue this kind of "Stuff".  There were lots of Hams with Visible Outside antennas that would teach you, or call someone else who could become an Elmer to help an aspiring youngster (or olderster) to become a Ham.  I thank God for my many Elmers in Columbus, Ga. (many of their callsigns are well known) for their help.  Most of the issues I see now out on the Web are "I want it now".  It is up to the FCC to make the call on this and that is the end of the line.  I know CW and talk to others that do.  I respect those that do not, or do not see a need for it.  I do see a time that some folks may not be able to participate in one or more modes of communications when it is really needed.  That is your choice.  As for me, I have no more FCC tests to pass.

Steve W4CNG

9. K3UD

K3UD Guest

That is a rather broad statement to make.

Knowing code at 5-13 or 20 WPM (or better) certainly gives a good op a tremendous resource at his or her disposal to be used when it quite possibly might be the only mode to get through when others do not. It is also another skill that you know. While knowing the code does not make anyone a good or bad op, it makes the good ones better and more valuable than the ones who do not.

Communications using CW and the code can be done with very simple equipment and on flea power. You do not need a computer or a reader or a rigblaster interface. Digital modes are quite a bit more complex to get going and carries much more hardware infrastructure overhead than a simple but capable CW setup does.

I find it interesting that the FCC seems to be wrangling over the code issue. If they were going to drop the requirement one would think that it would have been already a done deal. Other countries dropped it almost immediately. Could it be that it might not happen?

George
    K3UD

10. KC4ZYP

KC4ZYP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm one of those no code Techs. If the FCC ever makes up it's mind to drop the code, I'll upgrade to General. What's weird is the suggestion that the FCC wouldn't let the plain Techs have the same use of the hf bands as the Novice/Tech Plus hf. Yet, if there wouldn't be a code requirement, then why not? A gentle push to upgrade? Otherwise: There isn't any requirement (except in CW only bands & subbands) to use CW. It's still at least a good trade off: no Novice/Tech Plus hf use as a plain Tech, but written only upgrade to General :) . I'd rather be a General anyway. 73 Hal, KC4ZYP

[​IMG]
    My Webpage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.