FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. k5brk

k5brk Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets get the gov't agency FEMA involved to help out. They know how to make fast decisions! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. WQ7C

WQ7C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked hard to get where I am with code and all, however, by dropping the code requirement means getting more hams to use the frequency's rather than have to give up any frequency's then I am all for it.
    We need all we can get to be efficient in emergency communications.

3. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

If you notice around 1965 to 1975 there was a bobble in the numbers. In 1968 they took away VHF priveleges from the Novice class. I know this because I was a Novice in 1968 and had VHF priveleges for several months as a Novice.

The world didn't end and I didn't bail out.

I feel that today with the talk of possibly removing the code has created a bunch of slackerds that won't do anything until the FCC makes it official which way they are going to go on the code issue.

My nickles worth

4. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty much a done deal which way they are going; the fat lady is on stage and is ready to sing.

In the 60s and 70s, Amateur Radio didn't have to compete with the Internet, cell phones, iPods, and what seems to be increasing work hours and less free time.

If someone wants to become a ham and is waiting for the CW test to be dropped, so be it.  They will be a fellow ham like you and I and those before them in the previous 100 years who felt the magic of radio.

5. K4KLB

K4KLB Ham Member QRZ Page

The "dumbing down" of ham radio is being displayed by all who remain here beating down a dead horse. If you are too "dumb" to realize that you cannot change the requirments by whimpering here, I'm sorry. You CAN take time out of a busy day of arguing code vs no code on QRZ and teach a few Techs CW. Just think of the impact that would have on the world of ham radio vs sitting here beating the dead horse.

6. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, you had it pretty easy and didn't have to work nearly as hard as your predecessors.  To be a ham in the 20's, you had to build a rig from scratch using whatever parts you could dig up.  That's earning a ticket and privleges!  Today you can just call up HRO or AES, give a credit card number, and viola, UPS delivers a rig.

(See the irony in the "I earned my privleges, everyone else should, too" argument?)

7. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

Quite.

I have sat on the fence on this issue, and still do; if they do away with it, they do. If they don't, they don't.

But, if they do, be sure I will stay clear of the sub bands. Those who use CW in my mind should have the "real estate" to do so.

But, it is my hope that those who do prefer CW will not shun any NCG (that would be the new class, if code testing is done away with) that should decide to practice real time one-on-one.

Now, wouldn't this be fair?

Never know, you just might find a CW convert ;)

Idiots will be sorted out early on, believe it.

Merely setting up an HF station is far beyond setting up a VHF/UHF station, which will "filter" a large number of people right off, at least for a time.

Add covenants, and restrictions of other kinds, and I don't think the impact would be that large on any front.

Not every one has the space that I do to throw up wire, and the number of people that do grows smaller every day.

And a tribander definitely does not fade into the background as easily as a 2m yagi.

Don't stress over remote possibilities. It's far better to deal with what is..

8. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob,
    I use the DX7 to hold up the wall in storage...it doesnt work very well these days. i use a small 61 key trigger board for Midi...besides, the DX7 is a heavy SOB!!

I play bass for a living, i see our keyboard player show up with ALL his gear and i just feel good that i ONLY chose to play bass...he has a ton of stuff. I agree, i like the B3's sound...i like the old gear, old Fender basses, Ampegs and a nice set of Rotosounds on there...im rocking the vintage sound with that setup. looks nice too.

As for the thread, i dont mind going off topic for a bit...commercials do it all the time on tv...believe me, guitar talk is pleasant compared to what is surely to come. already happened in a few posts. newbies will be attacked, NCT's will be chastised, FCC, ARRL, BPL, CW, non-CW...all will be bashed in some form or another...QRZ is like the middle east sometimes. always a hot spot among otherwise intelligent minds.

I think one on one, most of these folks are ok people...easy to talk to and reason with...but something happens in here that gets everyone going. hmm, i dont know.

Ill have to disagree, Bob. CW is not dead by any means, it will be just fine...we just wont have testing anymore. but like ANY gov agency, the FCC are dragging thier feet about making any decision. once the code testing goes away, IF anyone starts acting like CBers on CW, i will tune away. the way i see it, i wont have a choice.

The difference is in the individual, true ladies and gentlemen dont act like rogues once they get on the air, or out in public.

There are good, decent ops among every facet of our ranks, NCT's, DXer, SSB, CW, repeater dwellers, even on here....there are always the pariahs too. ham radio isnt exempt from the same paterns that society takes. simply put, there are good people and bad people.

I will also agree with you, running a qso with a minikey, a qrp backpack rig and some batteries...and just some wire in a tree...is a great thrill. not only are you out in the countryside, in a beautiful spot, but doing something enjoyable....cant beat it.

CW is here to stay, same with AM, there are AM guys out there who meet every week and will continue to do so. they dont dwell on the demise of thier favorite mode, they simply keep using it. heh heh. I will do the same with my favorite mode. CW testing, on the other hand, is done for...but we have all seen this coming.

But this big DX contest on right now sure looks like CW is still breathing. speaking of which, im getting back on....good to talk to you again, Bob.

C U on the air!

73...Adam, N7YA

9. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHAHA....man, thats rich!! good one, OM! [​IMG]

10. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, and well put...if they open up the sub bands, its not just CW that will be walked on. the digi-modes will get it too.

I think if things change, they will change only a little...we wont need to worry too much about it...it will just mean more real estate for me and my bug.

I wholeheartedly agree, i would NEVER shun another fellow ham...especially if they didnt ask for it. i WILL shun an old school, extra class OT who was acting like a jerk on the air...the last time i was on CB was when i was a kid, i'd like to keep it that way. Im always ready to give a newbie a cw qso.

I DO have issues with CCR's, however. im not into some powerless old folks telling me how to decorate my house...much less what to put on top of it. if i pay nearly a half million for a house (modest home in my area)...do i forfiet my rights to anything personal? am i a renter? i know im not alone in this frustration.

Anyway, i think we will be ok.

73...Adam, N7YA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.