FCC issues a Notice of Violation to Solar City for RFI Inteferance

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NS6Q, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WH6DWF

WH6DWF Ham Member QRZ Page

How were you able to track down the source of your interference?

2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

We've got several houses with panels nearby. I was even thinking of doing some but one stroke of the pen, the 58cent/kW subsidy goes to a lower amount or is goes away, and its no longer economic to have them. Plus hams have noted RFI from some of the components.

How close would a panel have to be to create nouse I would notice? What would it looks like, where would it show up?

I'm thinking I may be seeing some of it but not sure how to tell.

I wondered if we would have to push Solar City to change that device on all their known installations, or run the risk of accusing a neighbor of a noisy setup. I can't tell which panel type is which or if they have a device like that on them.

There is supposedly another RFI component that causes a lot of problems, but not sure if its mfr specific.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny thing,

SolarCity was in our neighborhood last fall, recruiting homes for solar panels. We were one of them. I specifically asked about RFI issues such as the one cited here, and the rep had no clue but promised to find out.

We ended up not following through with them.

House up the street from us got them. My noise floor has gone up, though not enough to prevent communications. More of an annoyance.

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, the charge controller. Square wave and PWM or on/off pulsation. Solar panels alone are quiet, if you could thermally manage all the current when the battery is charged/ charging you could use an analog solution for charging. In a ham radio application that might be worth the effort if you want it noise free.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    W5MJF and K3RW like this.
  5. K1KP

K1KP Ham Member QRZ Page

This sounds like the system featured in the article that appeared in the April, 2016 QST. The techniques described in the article have been proven effective at reducing interference at several similar installations. For further info contact the author (me).

-Tony, K1KP

N2EY, AG5DB and WF9Q like this.
  6. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately, my system has been noise free, I had that written into the agreement, but I'm only saving about $500 a year, my system is fairly small.

7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool piece.

Did you try the GoPower inverters, I bought about every brand that was on Amazon and the GoPower were the only ones that were useable. Then I was chasing my tail for a while because the POE going to the 5 ghz link to the gateway was causing significant RFI that I cannot do anything about. Purchased a Timewave ANC4 and it knocked out all of the RFI from the ethernet and the low level hash from the charge controller.

8. KD8RWR

KD8RWR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone (like me) doing any HF /Mobile, Knows the Cheap China made Lighting Fixture's, in any
    Convenient Store (Circle K, 7-11, etc..etc...) . That just Driving-by one... is an S7-8. Pull in the Lot,..
    it's 20+ Over!!
    Just an observation, in Ohio. Of Course... (your results, may vary...)!

73 -Thom KD8RWR

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That optimizer is not snake oil, it tracks the point at which the panels keep production at maximum and holds it there. MPPT is used in charge controllers at the batteries but I can see it working fine at the panels without trying to compensate fr voltage drop in wiring. It is a microprocessor controlled DC/DC converter that tracks the panels maximum power point. My 2 charge controllers do the same inside the house at the battery bank.

AL4Y likes this.
  10. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what we need more QRN to go along with all the QRM ! Cheap lighting Plasma TVs Solar controlers Cheap Modems Cheap Routers & all made in china isn't it just wounderful !!! Oh I forgot the Chinese broadcast jammers in the 40 meter band ! & now I am hearing radar up in the Satellite 70 cm band ! Well I guess the Chinese will cash in on filters for all of this next ! Hi Hi 73' KI6PMD ..

KB1NCP and K3RW like this.