FCC issues a Notice of Violation to Solar City for RFI Inteferance

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NS6Q, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

W0AAT - maybe you had issue's with the keyboard , or ? , but your math is incorrect - 4 x 12 = 48 , not 80 ?
    The voltage in solar panels do not make for weight [ at least directly ] wattage is more directly related to weight .

WF9Q - Just to inform others & trying to stay closer to the facts on solar , inanimate object - can not like or dislike .
    Any panels sold without a diode [ to keep the panel from discharging at night ] are almost by definition cheap chineeze junk ,
    this seems to be getting close to a new norm [ because of the importation rules being ignored ] , before generally all the American manufacturing gave up to the chineeze , I never found a solar panel without a diode .

On the other hand , with most manufacturing coming from China [ China can & does make quality , when we are getting screwed I use chineeze to label ] , as an example high end products like Honda eu2000 generators have been made in China , but then the chineeze steal the idea , make cheaper garbage , same with many other brands .

Just trying to keep some of facts back in the alternative energy subjects , solar does work , along with other sources , even in snowy winters .
    Having been in the field for some number of decades , I am a little frustrated at the lack of addressing RFI in the industry , I have inquired from my sources and the options have been mostly they do not know and only one brand [ doggy dew , do not remember ] as having a quite product , generally speaking there is no such thing as noise coming from a solar panel .
    I say generally because of over time there have been so many changes and I have not checked on each , some manufactures even made an inverter that was very small and attacked to the back of solar panels , haven't seen these in some time .
    A lot of complaints [ if not most ] come from people trying to cheap out , buy from amazon , harbor freight , etc.
    One way to help find quality , is to shop for inverters with terms - off-grid almost always has a battery charger , on-grid has grid disconnect , a battery charger is an option .
    Most of the stand-alone inverters are not the quality units .
    Most of the places I use to shop , no longer are out there , or at least buy the same name and finding the known quality brands of solar panels [ can not say , not enough time to prove ] there may be good China made [ only time will tell ] but the pricing is so low - this is why you can not find non-chineeze brands .
    Here is just one of the sources for good pricing https://www.wholesalesolar.com/power-inverters funny how there is very little competition with inverters , most of the inverters on this site are of the quality type .
    One thing I have found & suspect with the China / chineeze stuff is , they sell everything under one brand and in such a way that you have to convert at least the connections , and maybe more to combine other products - they sell systems and made & sell in such a way that there there is no option to mix & match different components to build a system .

2. WB6FFC

WB6FFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Any idea where on the FCC web site we can see the notice of Violation, I was looking by some times the FCC site is not to friendly.

AI3V likes this.
  3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It does work, however it is not viable and is more of cool novelty instead of solution. Not going to argue with you out about the lack of diode because I have no knowledge about that. One thing I can say for fact is the mono greatly outperforms the poly. In regards to the Chinese, if our government subsidized manufacturing and jacked with the currency exchange rate Americans would be doing the same thing.

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is an understatement, just flat out junk..........The only one that I found that is good is made by GoPower and actually has a true sinusoidal shaped waveform.

5. KJ6WEX

KJ6WEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Solar City installation and was having troubles with RFI from the optimizers. When I called the rep to complain, they were very responsive. They ended up sending out an RF engineer from a few hours drive away and he spent the day with me with his spectrum analyzer and other test equipment. The issue I was having were with interference with my garage door opener (remote transmitters wouldn't work during the day) and other devices that rely on ~433 MHz were affected. He returned the next day with a different set of optimizers that were running at a different frequency and replaced them all. That solved those problems. My HF noise floor is so horrible in my location that I can't tell if my PV system is having any additional effect on my noise.

As I understand the purpose of the optimizer, it's a small switching supply that takes whatever voltage the panel is producing and bumps it to the nominal panel voltage (36 VDC?) so that any shaded panel doesn't just show up as a resistor in the series chain of panels. They needed these because I have trees that shade one or more panels during various parts of the day. A shaded panel in a pure series chain would bring down the whole chain otherwise.

6. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

John, the 12VDC panels typically run between 17 and 19 VDC in full sunlight. 12 volt batteries need about 15.1 VDC to run an equalization charge, so this allows for some loss and conversion in order to make everything work well. On a cold winter day, the panels produce even more voltage, so it's fairly normal for W0AAT's panel string to produce over 80VDC on a cold winter day.

I think her point was that the smaller 12VDC panels are smaller and easier to man handle vs the larger 235+ watt grid tie panels. Tied into series, they work the same anyways.

7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see that, still, it seems like a waste. When that optimizer is in Boost mode (assuming that is what it actually does) the system is now wasting power. So,does that loss offset the IR loss from running lower volts??? if their is a cost advantage to the end user I highly doubt it is even worth thinking about. Their marketing sounds VERY impressive "optimizer".

AD0MI likes this.
  8. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

improved and optimized, just like Yaesu's firmware updates!

KK4YEM likes this.
  9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

You should back up your " It does work, however it is not viable and is more of cool novelty instead of solution. "
    And not with someone setting up a system incorrectly .
    I know hundreds + of installations , both residential & commercial , all paid for themselves or soon to be , and would do it again yrs. later .

AD0MI , Again people that are not familiar with what they are talking about , 17 - 19 volts may be on the spec. panel of a 12v panel - but the 17-19volts is open circuit and you will not see that voltage connected to even a fully charge battery , same on how a battery voltage is measured - call a standard , not seconds after disconnecting a charger , but " after rest " meaning that a stabilized voltage that reduces after charge , and measuring a battery with a possible issue , putting a min. load / depending on size of battery then measuring .
    And lastly , a load test to check capacity .

10. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

There are filters designed specifically for solar installations. They cost a lot of money so of course they are not used unless they are forced to.