ad: HamHats-1

FCC approves first 'power-at-a-distance' wireless charging device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2NCC, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And if you operate a compliant amateur station and it interferes with a 'holy cow' in he ISM band, guess who gets shut down?

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Heeere kitty kitty kitty!

NU4R likes this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any mention of "advanced" battery technology...charging or otherwise...makes me dizzy and causes me to fall down.

I was a Boeing Rep on the 787 Dreamliner.

N4QX and W1YW like this.
  4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With all the freak'n noise we HFers have to put up with already maybe the ARRL should SERIOUSLY CONSIDER WORKING THE WORLD VIA ECHO-LINK AND GIVING WHOMEVER CREDIT FOR DXCC!!! :-(

K3RW likes this.
  5. KD9AUY

KD9AUY Ham Member QRZ Page

Was on the national news this morning. I don't think its fake.

6. W6MTF

W6MTF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a real SNAKE OIL LINIMENT stock! heres the blurb they put out on the co. I would like to know how they contained the "Three dimensional rf ENERGY POCKET" this is pure nonsense!
    "Energous Corporation engages in the development of a wire-free charging system. The company’s technology could enable wire-free charging solutions for contact-based charging, as well as at a distance charging. It develops WattUp, a wire-free charging technology that charges electronic devices by surrounding them with a contained three dimensional radio frequency energy pocket. The company was formerly known as DvineWave Inc. and changed its name to Energous Corporation in January 2014. Energous Corporation was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in San Jose, California."

7. KW5M/SK2023

KW5M/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KW5M/SK2023

KW5M/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well put and very well written.
    Thanks

9. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The device in question uses 5.8ghz to produce remote charging at up to 15 feet
    away.

10. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a good thing we can't see RF. However, it causes enough cataracts anyway.

VE7DXW likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the patents.

KQ6XA likes this.
  12. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

They could use a cloaking device for sure.

K8XG and W1YW like this.
  13. KI4THY

KI4THY QRZ Member QRZ Page

What happened to inductance charging aka toothbrush and shaver in cradle! Works for me.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent point.

What's changed in the last decade is the emphasis on trickle charges to battery storage, and the design of devices with lower power drain, which are battery driven. Essentially most of the things we now use have lower power drains and really don't need to be plugged into the wall like a tether.

But they do need charging.

If you can make a universal wireless charging system that produces more than a watt delivered, then most--but not all-- of these devices can get charged without any wall connection (for example). So there is great incentive in the wireless charging arena.

Inductive charging works poorly outside of 'cradle' methods, and typically is device specific.

Multidevice, at a distance, 1 watt plus continuous to device, charging is a new frontier and highly sought.

Bonnie knows a lot about this. We don't always agree, but I very much appreciate, respect, and pay attention to everything she has to say. I think we all should understand her post contents as valuable information and insight.

This system so described in the OP is one such approach to the aforementioned frontier. It, IMO, is reasonable to point out the issues, but I do want to caution that I am a competitor and invite you to consider that in gauging the value of my opinions on the matter. IMO the 'in the way' issue is a concern for this and all such wireless charger methods 'at a distance'. Obviously other concerns have been brought up with potential interference to other ISM devices.

I hope that helps. Wireless charging is inefficient (power wise) but damn convenient.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    KQ6XA and K2NCC like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Better not to tip them off early, doncha think:)?