ad: M2Ant-1

FCC approves first 'power-at-a-distance' wireless charging device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2NCC, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Somewhere Nikola Tesla is smiling...

N2IPH/SK2022, NE2I, N4ZED and 14 others like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

This must be fake news. The government is off for the holidays until next year.

Or did they do it when nobody was there to vote on it ?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    W7PEM, W7DAZ and KK2DOG like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"RFI at a distance".

N4ZED, KM4TIN and W6KKO like this.
  5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AL7AQ

AL7AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Right.... RFI source??? The unit operates in the 5.8 Ghz Wireless Band... Did you guys even READ the Specs?

KM4TIN and N8EKT like this.
  7. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you look at the equipment authorization grant, the frequency is 913 MHz, which is within an ISM band (shared with the fixed, mobile, and amateur services). We probably have no more issues here than we do with other ISM equipment in the band (there's quite a bit of it, and it's there legally).

Of broader potential concern is LF and HF-based wireless power transfer systems, being designed to charge car batteries, among other applications that make charging a phone look like child's play. A reasonable explanation of the issue (albeit not fully accurate with respect to timing--it's been at play since at least late 2015) is on the ARRL web site:

http://www.arrl.org/news/iaru-administrative-council-considers-new-radio-spectrum-pollution-threat

Some things should keep us up at night. The Energous device ought not be one of them.

8. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The device that secured approval this past week operates at 913 GHz.

But both bands (902 MHz and 5.8 GHz) are ISM bands. You're never going to get a pristine RF environment in an ISM band; that's a consequence of accommodating non-communication uses of RF (and there are ample reasons to do that).

W1YW likes this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone remember "LightSquared" ?
    It interfered with GPS and was sued so profusely that it was driven into bankruptcy.
    I predict the same fate is in store for Energous WattUP.
    913 MHz is a powerful transmitter in the middle of the 33 cm ham band (902.0-928.0 MHz).
    It is a shared ISM band, filled with low power cordless phones, cameras, baby monitors, security devices, point-to-point data, and thousands of short-range low-power things living somewhat peacefully together.
    The Energous 913 MHz WattUP system got them approval with the administration-corrupted FCC, but 913 MHz physics is too bulky and inefficient for consumer market viability.
    The 913 MHz WattUP system was simply a ploy to boost their stock, and make it appear that they have a "viable technology" alternative to popular Qi low-frequency 200 kHz power products.

Energous's real target is a 5.8 GHz system.
    It is a powerful transmitter in the middle of the 5.650-5.925 GHz ham band.
    It also causes severe interference to 5 GHz WiFi.
    Hence the prediction that it will be sued into oblivion if it is ever approved and/or deployed.

[​IMG]
    5 GHz WiFi Band

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    KE0PWA, N3HOE, AC0OB and 6 others like this.
  10. N7ECV

N7ECV Ham Member QRZ Page

ugh... MORE noise to contend with....

K3RW likes this.
  11. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

More charging your cell phone in a microwave oven.

It works once.

VE7DXW, NU4R and W1YW like this.
  12. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

I did notice in the only demo I've seen on the news, the guy doing the demo was real careful not to get between the sending unit and the devices being charged. That stood out to me like a sore thumb. lol.

K3RW, VE7DXW and K9MOG like this.
  14. AA8N

AA8N Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone recall the recent issue about cellphone radiation? Is not this much more of an issue in as much there is a great deal more power involved and is continuous.

VE7DXW likes this.
  15. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they should do it with big ol' Tesla coils. Besides charging your phones it can power all the florescent lights in your home, too. And entertain the kids.