ad: wmr-1

FCC approves first 'power-at-a-distance' wireless charging device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2NCC, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Already done by Faraday:

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The mind bagels....

DISCLOSURE: I am a competitor and won't comment beyond bagels and lox.

IMO Bonnie has an interesting point of view. And anything transmitting to the farfield should be assumed to capable of direct and scattered paths off to infinity...I will let you decide for yourself what that means.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    NU4R and KQ6XA like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The everything bagel...

The SYSTEM incorporates both RX and TX and essentially pings the RX charging device. If there is an obstruction it shuts off. Good luck with pets--particularly cats, which love to walk on every surface-- in the house! System may 'lox' up...

K9MOG and NU4R like this.
  4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dimes to donuts, the 4 Watt (10 watt-ever) transmitters of Energous WattUP devices create other kinds of unpredictable RFI, the same way that very close proximity to the antennas of our ham transmitters does.

Good luck to the unsuspecting consumer using fancy cordless earphones in the same house (or adjacent apartment) near a WattUP transmitter.
    What up, iPhone, you don't have a wired earphone jack anymore?
    Internet will be all a-buzz with the EMI/RFI.
    Consumer-level EMC can't be bribed away like FCC administrative decisions can be.

KC7HDE, K8XG, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...but reformed and became LIGADO ....

FYI

Bonnie, as you know, the wireless charging/harvesting initiatives won't give up: too many devices running from trickle charges and batteries.

Clearly there is going to be a technology war on what system or systems prevail. Buy plenty of popcorn(and bagels) because it will takes years to shake out, and it may very well be the winner(s) haven't even shown their cards yet..

and HNY,
    Chip W1YW

K9MOG and NU4R like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Hmmm... I presume the GREEN thingies represent places that kitty cats will walk on, sleep on, jump to, and so on, thereby triggering the 'off' position on the charging , thereby stopping or slowing down the charging process. Did I get this right? If not, feel free to correct.

MeeeOUCH!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    NU4R likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

cheshire cat.png

WHY is this kitty cat smiling?

KI7HSB and NU4R like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it is actively receiving an RF colonic.

VE7DXW, KI7HSB, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  9. AK9DX

AK9DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great. More RFI generating devices to deal with.

10. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, the wireless changer uses ISM band whose max power is defined.
    The manufacturer claims the wireless changer has a range of three feet.
    They are not saying it - but they will not use the max power allowed for ISM if they further limit the range to three feet.

There is $64 question:

If the device being charged requires x amount of energy to even trickle charge its power source - battery - how many years it will take when the RF signal (energy ) is limited as specified above?

Let me see the math before I start worrying about ISM band RFI OUTSIDE 3 feet range.

73 Shirley

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you aligned two high gain antennas, you probably can invoke a (rectified) trickle charge far in excess of a watt.

12. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if a watt is transmitted it can be concentrated with a beam antenna but not increased.

13. VE3OP

VE3OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd picture, given that it can only charge devices "up to three feet away"...

14. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...and possibly yelling at these folks for such an inefficient design.

KV4PD likes this.
  15. PY1KZ

PY1KZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Uauu!!! Imagine the EMI produced by Asian low quality equipments, in a short future!!!

VE7DXW likes this.