ad: Radclub22-1

Exotic Dark Matter Detector Deep in an Italian Mountainside Picks Up Unexplained New Signal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ4U, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

PUNK Rock!

DO tell!

Confession: I was into girls who did the 'band aid' thing....

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to get up earlier so I can read these threads before the Moderators clean them up. I feel like I'm missing all the fun stuff.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

So isn't "dark matter" that stuff that, if there's enough of it, causes the the universe to eventually collapse in the Big Suck? Or Big Crunch. Whatever.

OK. I could see where it's important to know if the universe will suck some day; but I'd like to see more than one data point before I change my weekend plans.

WQ4G likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or at least a 10 sigma data point....

4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

& how much $ do governments across the globe spend each year for this nonsense

while their societies could better use that monies elsewhere, I'm glad I'm old fashioned

searching for junk you can not control nor could ever change

5. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, but look at all the wonderful things that came from the 1960s and 1970s space programs. Some people felt the same way about those expenditures at that time.

6. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to get all snarky about it,geez.

MM0XXW likes this.
  7. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

what great things ?

8. NN4RH

It's not a large or worrisome number relative to the national budget. The entire NSF budget in 2020 was only $8 billion. The XENON project is a small part of that. That's $8 billion out of a $4.8 trillion total federal budget .... and that's not counting all the trillions that have been thrown around in response to the pandemic.

And leave it at that, or it goes into thread-locking political topics.

9. NN4RH

Tang !

Well, no, never mind. Tang came before the space program ...

Freeze-dried ice cream ! And a few other things

W4HM likes this.
  10. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

So the tasteless, odorless, massless, colorless [other than dark] aether that is indescribable, unobservable, unmeasurable is being floated as a possible solution to something that they don't know what it is? Maybe it is essence of phlogiston? Or maybe a swami or a psychic should be consulted for their opinions? A seance maybe to get help from the other side? Puzzling! Who ya gonna call? Ghost Busters? heh heh heh

W4HM likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No ,

Sir Oliver Lodge methinks.

W8NSI likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We should just scrap all this science stuff and hang the scientists by their callsigns. They are just a bunch of obnoxious arrogant know -it- alls that just disagree with EVERYONE.

They don't know their PLACE.

We need to keep them inside their cinder block box-offices with their pony tails, 70 year old battle gray metal desks ,and the Douglas Adams posters next to their Birkenstocks and faded Hawaiian shirts and Dr. Who VHS tapes . Not to mention a faded Rubik Cube, de-furred Furby, and book cases sagging under unread books(BOOKS mind you!) , parts catalogues,and reprint copies from 40 years ago .

Oh, and that dumb ball hits ball Newton balancer thingie.

We'll call them if we (ever) need them.

Right?

:)

Hey Ron--did I pin down the stereotype OK?

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    W8NSI likes this.
  13. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

14. NN4RH

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
    In the midst of his laughter and glee,
    He had softly and suddenly vanished away—
    For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.

W8NSI and W1YW like this.
  15. NN4RH

I worked for the Government. We weren’t allowed to have stereotypes, unless they were issued to us.

W8NSI, MM0XXW and W1YW like this.