ad: AbAuRe-1

DMR... you not have a Repeaters in your zone ? The Solution Is Here ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jan 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AF4KK

AF4KK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! :) I like your thumbnail picture! That's my car!! ;)

2. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

No one to talk to? You need to know the rooms that are Hopping more than 2/440 local analog repeaters.
    Point your DMR hotspot to:
    Brandmeister master server, 3101 USA, Talkgroup 3100 USAwide. Even the 3139 Ohio talk group has more traffic the the 2/440 analog repeaters here in Toledo.

Point your Fusion radio with DV4 mini C4FM to FCS02/02 for Alabama link that is linked all over.
    FCS02/70 for So Cal linkers all over the west of the Mississippi
    FCS02/90 for America link, with folks all over the global linked
    Those rooms are linked to repeaters all over in Fusion and DMR. You just need to know where to look.

3. N1SEZ

N1SEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to say it but thats why you need a hotspot :)

4. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No issue with any of it, great stuff...
    Except what do you do when there is no internet?
    Have a plan to communicate in some other venue, because it will happen.

N4GST likes this.
  5. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that this device is useless, and it can actually be useful when living in an apartment with concrete walls preventing you from accessing the local repeater with your handheld. I suffer from that - although not so much since I have a RD625 in my apartment for experimental purposes.

6. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

W5LMM ...... be patient !!! hi

I send my original my article to Brad Brooks WF7T .... and it TRANSLATE in english ....

and my GUIDE to an DMR HotSpot portable , coming soon

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It just seems like expensive Skype to me.
    Serious question - if I live where there are none of these repeaters and they have a VOIP backbone linking them all together, why do I need an expensive radio and an expensive hotspot to encode my voice with DMR (or whatever) transmit it a few dozen yards, change it to VOIP, and link in to the servers for the various "rooms".
    Why not skip a few steps and have an app that just goes to the internet? What is the radio contributing here?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    KD8ZKE likes this.
  8. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The radio probably gives you the option to roam about your property with a "wireless speaker/mike combo" in case you wanted to step away from the shack.

I believe the only current solutions to handle the audio (analog) to data packet (digital) conversions is in hardware at this time. Someone more familiar with this can chime in hopefully. There is at least one device I'm aware of that accepts audio directly without requiring an RF link.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Get on board or get off." Are you saying we have to go digital or stop using amateur radio.
    If you want to use it, have fun. Not for me thank you. I prefer just radio to radio.

N4GST and NX6ED like this.
  10. N5WD

N5WD Ham Member QRZ Page

OM, if you're not interested in it, just page on by and don't let the door hit you in the bazooka! There's plenty of folk interested in this new fangled stuff, people like me (a 20wpm Extra that's been licensed since 1968 - does that qualify as an Old Timer, too?) I'm also old enuff that I had 2-meter phone privileges as a Novice!

What we DON'T NEED is everyone telling everyone else that they don't need this stuff and to get the hell off their lawn!

QSL?

AC6FJ, VE2EVN, W9AFB and 1 other person like this.
  11. VU3IAI

VU3IAI Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR,D-STAR and Fusion Systems is what i made me interested in HAM in first place...So OM's With Analog Fantasies please Stay where u are, while Digital OM's play with our new toys. ;)

12. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if that is true, then they should Build the MMDVM (multi-mode digital voice modem)... you learn by doing, not by buying a toy to use.

13. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I not say if the "digital comunications " ( DMR, D-Star and C4FM ) are the future of ham-radio comunications....

but the BIG Vantage is that because you as register and have your personal ID, in this system (in DMR too...)
    there aren't some QRM and problems by some persons or PIRATE or not ham-radio operators , that its great for me !

14. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What will happen to all the analog repeaters? Most of the ones near me are dead most of the time right now.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  15. N5WD

N5WD Ham Member QRZ Page

First, understand that there'll always be analog (FM and maybe even AM) repeaters around. There are plenty of uses for repeaters that milions of people with scanners can listen in to, as well as hams that operate civic operations like SKYWARN, CERT, RACES, etc.

But, some of the lesser-used analog repeaters will probably go dark once the users migrate to other systems (be it other analog systems or DStar and other digital modes). The operators will probably get tired of fixing the machine when it breaks, and they'll turn the big switch off for the last time and find something else to do.

BTW - if you have a local repeater that's basically unused for a great part of the day, talk with the repeater owner and see if they'd be interested in putting in an IRLP, Echolink, or AllStar node. That usually increases activity on the repeater.