Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

The NTIA has ZERO to do with our amateur radio bands. The only way this would be useful is if one wanted to ensure the jamming continued. We are radio amateurs and are tasked to report interfering stations to the IARU and our national group (ARRL, RSGB, etc.).

2. KM4OZ

KM4OZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was curious so looked up NTIA- this from Home Page. It is not clear they are the Hams friend....

"NTIA is the Executive Branch agency that is principally responsible for advising the President on telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA’s programs and policymaking focus largely on expanding broadband Internet access and adoption in America, expanding the use of spectrum by all users, and ensuring that the Internet remains an engine for continued innovation and economic growth."

KG5RKP likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're totally uninformed OM.
    I'm not just referring to just amateur radio jamming.
    If you were following some of my post early on you would have seen that there has been jamming in the Marine/ Aviation and DOD frequencies.
    Amateur radio has low priority but when you start jamming DOD frequencies NTIA is interested.
    Even the Coast Guard Emergency HF frequency has been jammed.

1 person likes this.
  4. KG5RKP

You might want to read your response again, my friend, and read mine before it.

I AM talking about amateur radio bands. Yes, I am aware that you are talking about other bands as well.

Here's the thing: The jamming that's denying hams use of 40 meters is...on... (wait for it!) 40 Meters. Any intrusions into THAT space are to be reported to the IARU and ARRL (or RSGB, etc.). That is the spectrum amateur radio ops are tasked to help protect. Others are responsible for maritime and DoD bands, and it isn't us. I'm a pilot - it still isn't me.

I'm a retired AF SIGINTer and have about 8 years logged with a 3-letter agency that does RF stuff, and finished my career running an info warfare lab. I know very well what happens internally when military frequencies are interfered with. We didn't give a damn about the NTIA in that sphere, either.

This is an amateur radio site. I recommend focus.
    73 MSgt out.

KM4OZ likes this.
  5. KG5RKP

FYI... (cough...DoD...cough Not to be confused in any way with anything related to the amateur service.)
    https://www.marines.mil/portals/1/Publications/MCO 3430.3C.pdf?ver=2012-10-11-163623-383
    https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/...ation/afman11-2c-146av3/afman11-2c-146av3.pdf
    Folks can keyword search those for "NTIA" if they so desire.
    Please pardon this brief deviation from topic. I never expect anyone to 'take my word for it' when data are available.

6. K0UO

I'm talking about the jamming in general, if you solve one problem you'll probably solve both. Face it, amateur radio doesn't have much authority or International importance.

Marine and Air safety does, other Agencies and International groups can put political pressure on them.

If it was a hurricane in that area right now it would be a life-and-death situation for boaters off shore.

By the way there has been jamming on 5 MHz 60 meters/ which NTIA directly controls.

7. KG5RKP

Yes, you're talking about 'jamming in general' on an amateur radio site, and telling people if they want OUR jamming to stop they should contact the NTIA. For reference:
    ----
    ----
    We'll have to agree to disagree about this.
    That's the point (kicking the podium) of our reporting to IARU and ARRL - it's OUR job to put pressure on them so that pressure flows up hill.
    How can you justify this whopper? In an emergency, ALL frequencies and modes are free to use - including EPIRBs. Cuba's not jamming emergency satellites, are they? They're NOT jamming much more available maritime comms avenues than they are. This is, BTW, why I suggested earlier than anyone with first hand knowledge of any maritime jamming in/around US waters should immediately report it to the Coast Guard so they can follow their MIJI process (and thus report it up the DoD chain) and also issue a NOTMAR so that ALL ships at sea are notified of the existence of jamming or interference. Outside US waters, report to the coast guard of the closest nation. (Also worth noting is that hurricanes are slow movers and are forecast in advance. A superior captain uses his/her superior judgement so they don't have to use their superior skill...)
    I'm not going to quibble about the difference between "administers"(1) the military users and "controls" - but it's crystal clear the FCC "administers" our use of 60. As far as we're concerned, if we as amateur operators detect jamming, we follow the same IARU/ARRL process we do for any other ham band. If one is a military user of an affected part of 60, well, they already know how to follow their MIJI process - and they will. Again - see my post above about the DoD wide MIJI program - there's NOTHING there about the primary users reporting ANYTHING to the NTIA, either!

If half the energy wasted arguing here was devoted to reporting instead, the ARRL and IARU would be gagging on reports. :(

While this has been...interesting...I'm going back to soldering. 73

(1) http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  8. K0UO

You might want to listen to some of the marine frequencies, it's easy to hear the jamming from your QTH at night.
    It's been reported

I think it's hopeless to carry on this discussion.

9. KG5RKP

There's not a boat, raft, ship, or aircraft carrier on the planet that requires a functioning HF or VHF radio to stay afloat, see and avoid traffic, or navigate past Cuban waters. Last time I was on board a cruising sailboat, nightly weather and NOTMARs came in on NAVTEX on 518 KHz, and every few days we'd get one of the weather fax runs out of New Orleans or Charleston around 4 - 8 MHz. These days, few people use either of those, relying instead on their Garmin, Iridium GO and other satellite devices to download weather gribs, exchange text email, and upload tracking. Here's one example:
    https://forecast.predictwind.com/tr...indSymbol=WindStreamlines&weatherSource=ECMWF

AIS is only good to about 60 miles max, and those transponders are on 161.975 MHz and 162.025 MHz (the old channels 87B and 88B). Of course, radar's in play as well, and it's highly unlikely that anyone's jamming that.

Evaluating the risk factors, and considering it an indications and warning problem, nothing's jumping out at me that makes HF jamming or even widespread VHF jamming to be life threatening to ships at sea. But is there jamming?

US Coast Guard district 7, South East (including sector Key West) has exactly one reference to 'Cuba' in the 28 July local notices to mariners - their latest published - a notice of a string of research buys across the straits.
    https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm07302021.pdf

Google brings me nothing on any sort of maritime jamming. Neither does scanning social media feeds from sailors and cruisers in the Caribbean, east side of Panama, or down in the ABCs. Got any data you care to share? What freqs do you think are being jammed, and to whom did you report those events?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  10. KM4OZ

KM4OZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh dear, Andy. Here you go again making points based on actual experience, knowledge and documentation. ;)