ad: TinyPaddle-1

Circumventing Jamming or interference with Winlink

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every system has its limitations, and its effective use is in understanding it.
    No one is misleading anyone, providing facts when people post errors in information, is sometimes needed.

Be safe OM................

M1WML and W0PV like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

What error was posted? Just thinking it does not make it so. Winlink is not the end all as much as you wish it was. JS8 isn't either but it will go further. You want the end of it a simple radio and a key is the limit.

M1WML and W6EM like this.
  3. N6KZB

Read the entire thread of posts, many falsehoods, such as Winlink costs 100 dollars, while it is free.

Now that I have posted a few salient facts, I will move on.

Hope all stay safe and enjoy the free service that is Winlink.;);)

M1WML likes this.
  4. N1IPU

So the snarky comment to me was over someone else saying it was a hundred dollars? Got it.

M1WML likes this.
  5. N6KZB

Nothing snarky my thin-skinned friend, if offended, sorry. You asked what error and I explained.
    Done with this thread anyway, adios OM

M1WML likes this.
  6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Typical Winlink obscured answer. How many US amateur licensed users in the Winlink system? I don't want to know about the total number WW or the number in MARS / Shares. Winlink's own count comes up about 15k short of what you just posted, look under "user versions", and that total is WW users. Why can't anyone in the Winlink organization put out valid numbers, on anything?

Oh, never mind, I see you went into Winlink 'turtle mode' and moved on. Have a nice day.

M1WML and N3FAA like this.
  7. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And session time is limited to 10mins. Barely usable.

Almost nothing comparing to ham licensees worldwide.

M1WML likes this.
  8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Missed this one. Okay, how many of those messages are really spamming the system with endless test messages, US Constitution is real popular again, net check in reports to multiple addressees, BBC news feeds, etc., and how many are actual 'emergency' messages? 71k messages that should have been sent through the internet instead of jamming the ham bands on a routine basis when other services are available --Part 97.113 if you need a refresher.

K5WW, M1WML, W6EM and 1 other person like this.
  9. UT7UX

Towards Winlink's proprietarily I'd like to ask what is with let's saying Winlink's open alternative - PSKmail? Is it dead? Or still alive? Are there PSKmail's users in the thread?

M1WML likes this.
  10. UT7UX

Mine: all of. Except ACK, sure.

K5WW and M1WML like this.
  11. N1IPU

Nice try at avoidance with another snarky comment. You are done with this thread.

M1WML and N3FAA like this.
  12. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would join in the fray but why? Put simply, Winlink does not belong on amateur radio as it is being used as a way to circumvent the law as it pertains to amateur radio, among other things.

The OP's video is nothing but a Winlink ad, I don't see any way that a government could not jam that entire scenario with ease by simply placing firewalls on the internet, and using broad band jamming techniques.

M1WML, N3FAA, K0IDT and 1 other person like this.
  13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm the "$hundred dollar" accusee. What I said, for clarification for the Winlink Booster Club, is that a licensed version of VARA was about $75. So, $69, if accurate is $6 less. And Aguahombre and his fellow honoraria-remunerated Directors at ARSFI ask for a $25 dollar donation (to go towards their annual honoraria, travel expenses, etc.) So, when push comes to shove, I was off by $6. Ninety four, not one hundred. :)

UT7UX, M1WML, K0IDT and 1 other person like this.
  14. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha!..If it gets as bad as some believe it will, encrypted freq hopping with pseudo-random number generation is readily available.
    "SINGARS" is not as mysterious or out of reach as some think..Just need to know where and what to look for.
    For now, it would be illegal to use; in a emergency, everything is on the table.

M1WML likes this.
  15. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

The verbiage in Commission regulations permitting amateurs to use any means to establish communications when no other paths are available assumes that the station is asking for help, or responding to render help. You clearly don't understand what constitutes an emergency. If you did, you would want your transmissions to be heard and understood by as many as possible, if lives or property were in jeopardy.

If you want to run SINCGARS, sign up with a branch of the military. Hint: They don't use SINCGARS to call CQ.

M1WML likes this.