ad: CQMM-1

Circumventing Jamming or interference with Winlink

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

One final note to Julian. You have one fantastic collection of portable gear. And, many thanks for your video. Most especially for the quick glimpse of the Lab599 TX-100. OMG, one fantastic radio. The demo video you did on it was equally fantastic. (I may have to forgive Putin for all of his transgressions to have allowed its manufacture)

If I can get in line to order one from HRO here in the states, I will. A radio like that with a receiver demand of only 100mA? Nothing short of incredible. To say nothing of its sensitivity at -136dBm!!!

M1WML and K0IDT like this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All hams in Cuba are tied to the Communist regime. Your average Cuban citizen can't get a license.

M1WML likes this.
  3. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So let me see if I understand...the Cuban government is jamming themselves on 40m? Makes a lot of sense.

2E0CIT, KA4ZZZ, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4HM

No they are jamming us. Cuban American's hams are being jammed.

M1WML likes this.
  5. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jamming us why? So we don't contact the Cuban government communists?

2E0CIT and M1WML like this.
  6. W4HM

No, their are average Cuban citizens who illegally possess amateur radio equipment and they use it. It won't end well when all are tracked down.

M1WML and KA4DPO like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have very little faith in Winlink and consider it very vulnerable if things get out of hand. JS8 seems to me to be the most useful in a hot situation. Winlink is valuable if the internet stays running but should not be counted on as the last failsafe.
    Being able to come up online and send in the blind is better. Then all you need is other stations listening. JS8 will do that better than anything else I have seen or used at low power.

As an Aside does anyone notice the members who see to want to deflect from what's going on? That includes some staff too. What's the game and whose side are they really on?

M1WML likes this.
  8. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perhaps you may wish to read and understand the Winlink system. Especially how it functions and its back up network should the internet fail.

https://winlink.org/HybridNetwork

M1WML likes this.
  9. N6KZB

The Winlink network is FREE no 100 dollars needed.

The Winlink products are free, the donation asked for just removed the nag screen that popsup.
    The primary software is FREE.

M1WML likes this.
  10. N6KZB

Vara HF is 69 dollars for a lifetime license. (Includes Vara FM)

Also, non licensed Vara is fully functional, just has reduced speed.

M1WML likes this.
  11. WB8WYX

WB8WYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Job!!!!

M1WML likes this.
  12. N1IPU

Missing the point. Your still relying on a network. You may wish to understand. JS8? No network required.

M1WML, UT7UX and K0IDT like this.
  13. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, you of all people should know that without the internet Winlink is dead. Serious question, how many registered US amateur callsigns are in the Winlink system? Please, no overinflated numbers here that Winlink is so fond of using.
    The point being that without the internet the radio only part is limited to only those registered users -- can't send an email to aunt Clara about her latest cookie recipe and the system can't take any kind of significant message traffic in radio
    only mode. The whole thing is horribly slow and inefficient without the 'net. Skip the ECOM promo unless you can provide actual messages from a recent event, the photo op from the MX fires doesn't count as 'emergency critical' message traffic, but it is indicative of what actually flows on the Winlink system.

M1WML, KA4DPO and N1IPU like this.
  14. N1IPU

I don't mind the promoters but those who mislead people. Winlink serves a great service with regional events but has it's limitations. And yes I have Winlink and Vara so I know the limitations. You know what they say about ASSume.

M1WML likes this.
  15. N6KZB

Winlink provides communications in and out of the affected area, sans local or regional internet.
    No Internet in your area, then just send to a Gateway out of the area for delivery.
    The radio-only system is sort of an HF Mesh net, traffic via the additional MPS system is routed around failed Gateways, sans any Internet.
    Read here: https://winlink.org/HybridNetwork

This is its strength.

As a Winlink Account holder, you should understand how it works.
    But I see you have no recent radio connections, have all your inbound traffic forwarded to you normal email.
    Appears you only use telnet.

Users to date: 29040 worldwide.

Message Count for July: 71,238

Feel free to browse the Winlink Website news section and see all the past events.

Adios and have a good day OM

M1WML and W0PV like this.