ad: M2Ant-1

Circumventing Jamming or interference with Winlink

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KT0DD

KT0DD Ham Member QRZ Page

SMH at the arguing on here which validates the one posters comment that modern Public Safety ECOMS establish their own modern communication systems because they will not deal with of all the kindergarten level infighting that goes on with Amateur Radio members. I realize in a major disaster or wartime, Amateur radio May work and then again it May not. I'm going to have one just in case the may work window presents itself. Am I going to just sit at the radio and call SOS until a tornado wipes me out or the Enemy breaks down my door and shoots me in the head? Of course not. My family is reasonably prepped and we have a plan of action. If things get bad enough, none of this will matter and we're all probably better being at ground zero of a nuke and just get it over with rather than trying to survive thru neutron and gamma radiation. Remember, it's a hobby folks. A USEFUL hobby in certain circumstances, YES. But we are not the Alpha and Omega of all ECOMS. Professional technology far surpassed us years ago. We are just another tool in a tool box to grab if we might fit the situation.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    N4CVX likes this.
  2. VA6RQ

VA6RQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lee,
    Your information is incorrect, Winlink asks for a one time donation for each call sign, otherwise it's free ware. The same as VARA, if you use it in it's slower version its free, the highspeed version is just less then US$100. You can therefore get into VARA/Winlink with only the cost of a sound card interface and now most modern HF rigs have that internally. So, it may be a no cost solution.

3. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

SPOT ON, JULIAN!!!!! Thank you!

Pete

4. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

I started listening to this till I realized it is not relevant to any communications I use. We should not be using our stations to send out communications that would be subject to jamming because that is the way to get your license revoked. Our communications are not sensitive and we are not spy stations.

5. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page