Basic walk through on ft891 a great compact but complicated rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the easy to read display but wish you could change the color to something more night driving friendly than cold white.

2. N0NEV

N0NEV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one of these to operate ft-8 on while our new house was being built and my usual FTdx-1200 was packed away somewhere in one of the storage units we had. I liked the 891 so much that I was in no hurry at all to find the 1200. I'm going to keep my 891 for field ops. Great little radio.

3. K4ED

K4ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Deal! I'll pay shipping from your QTH to mine!!!!

4. DL7ISA

DL7ISA Ham Member QRZ Page

what kind of final transistors are built into the Yaesu FT891 ?
    i'm asking because i wonder what RF Power those can put out on 20m.
    often its well above the 100Watt, these final transistors in the transceivers would be capable of putting out throughout HF, if the output wasnt limited to 100watt. i think of doing a power mod to a 891 to get more RF power out of it, it the finals are capable of that.

how steep are the filters for the audio in the transmitter of the 891? does the 891 transmit audio frequencies like about 80Hz? i have a studio mic and want to use more of its wider range.

i would have to do a long search on the net to find that information, maybe someone here would know.

5. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Once the ft-891 is dialed in for your use its nice. Just leave the crazy menu alone once your set.
    See out of the box fresh to the owner this menu is a task, imagine if no you tube and getting this radio.
    The no#1 issue beside complex menu. "Also who likes that owners manual? Use bookmarks.
    1# The mic plug should be on otter left of face plate DTME Mic standard with freq direct entry.
    2# A one touch Mode button on front panel to select FM AM USB ad LSB CW Ect always. no matter memory or vfo.
    3# 6 and 10 meter fm repeater splits should be 1 touch button front panel with split + or - .
    Though Yaesu discontinuing 4 radios this year alone is bad the price is what makes the ft-891 a radio survivor.
    Enrty level operators can't jump $600 to $1299 expenses cause of just quitting blindly on the FT 450D .
    But while its here enjoy the FT- 891 best you can.
    -
    FT 450D Gone
    FTM 100DR Gone
    FTM 3200DR Gone
    FTM 3207DR Reacently Gone (all not in stores Sad.)

The music at beginning of video was cool grunge sounding.
    Right out 1994 ish nice who was that in mix? .

6. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the schematic in the service manual, it looks like two RD100HHF1s in a push-pull configuration.

7. N0NEV

N0NEV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ran cat control via wsjt-x with no problems until about a week ago when I went back to my FTdx-1200. I found the menus and overall operation easy on the 891.

8. KB8YIJ

KB8YIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned one for a few years now have it in my semi truck using a Tarheel screwdriver antenna all I can say this little radio can take a beating and never miss a beat great radio for the money nothing really comes close. As far as the menus go big deal there are only a few things I change while driving and I have those set into shortcuts once you get it all set up there is no need to keep going into the menu.

I wish there was other colors other than white for the screen display at night when driving even with the display turned down it gets a little hard on the eyes and if the screen was just a little bit bigger it would be better but it is not to bad. I have recently purchased a FT-2000 in pristine condition with all the updates for the base station was going to get a FT-3000 but I always wanted a FT-2000 I saved 900.00 and all I really do at home is rag chew anyway.

I hooked up the FT-891 at home and compared it to the Ft-2000 side by side and I have to say the FT-2000 is only slightly better in some ways a lot better in others and not as good as the FT-891 in things like auto notch, dnr, and the NB seems to be better in the FT-891 at least in my case. In the end the Ft-2000 is better but not by as much as you would think most people would not even notice. What they would notice is the price difference!

Like it or not for the most part today's starter rigs like the Ft-891 are on par if not better in many ways (NOT ALL) than the high end rigs 10 to 15 years ago look at it this way to get the performance the 891 delivers 15 years ago would have cost you over $2000.00! If your looking for a mobile radio nothing beats the Ft-891 for the money is it perfect no but find me a mobile rig that is for a little over $600.00 new out the door.

9. I7ALE

I7ALE Ham Member QRZ Page

I only operate in CW, with nothing else than key, antenna and power cable connected to the rig, and I am interested in something that I could not find in the previous postings, nor in the Base and Advanced manuals.
    How does the operator change the selectivity: is it possible to go from the default width to "narrow" (and maybe "narrow 2"), and then back to the default one, just pushing a button, or turning a knob, or is one obliged to go through a menu for any single change?
    Or maybe the three available buttons can be (through menu choices) set up to choose among different widths?
    Many operators, including myself, use the normal base selectivity, and switch to narrower selectivity (usually 500Hz, 250 Hz), when qrm shows up, going back to normal when the qrm has gone away.
    It would also be interesting to know which CW selectivity or selectivities are available in the rig, and if one needs to buy accessory filters to have more choices.
    Thank you !
    Sandro, i7ALE

WN1MB likes this.
  10. AA2KF

AA2KF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the menu stuff Great radio, but not for the faint hearted menu person, thanks a lot Yaesu....?

K9TDW likes this.