ad: cq2k-1

Basic walk through on ft891 a great compact but complicated rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had one for 2 years. I don't tend to find I need to dig into the menu much. I have IF Shift and IF Width on the programmable buttons. The spectrum scope is hopeless, so what? All scopes do is show you where the pileups are. The DNR is OK, but I have never heard a DNR I really liked much anyway. The basics of the RX are good enough that I don't really care about the scope or the DNR, it is tight and sensitive. The big annoyance for me, as someone who only operates portable, is the current drain on RX. It's over 1A usually so I begrudge the way it munches away at the battery. Most of the complaints people have about it are basically "it doesn't do X as easily as a rig three times the size with more space for controls". I rarely read a complaint about the RF performance.

G3SEA and KX4UL like this.
  2. WV8JHF

WV8JHF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have this radio for about a year and it is a great little radio. I find the menus some what painful but after going through them they get a little easier to navigate. When I get the 991A this will go back in my truck for a mobile which I feel it is perfect for radio in the back and the head unit mounted remotely. It is a lot of radio for the price and i don't think a new general could go wrong picking one of these units up new or used. Just my 2 cents

KJ7BDY and KX4UL like this.
  3. KG5HBX

KG5HBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I love mine, easy to program and setup, no software necessary.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever required software to setup an HF rig? (Not counting SDR rigs without external controls)

K9GLS likes this.
  5. KD4QMS

KD4QMS Ham Member QRZ Page

As the owner of an FT-891 I noticed something common in most reviews. The reviewer as in this case as well does not take advantage of the programmable buttons. After taking a little extra time while parked and setting the programmable buttons the FT-891 is easy and intuitive ( because the operator has designed the interface). I find the DNR useless as commented above however the adjustable band pass and notch filters along with the noise blanker make this rig a functioning mobile rig. If you forget where something is, a long press of the left most button gives a long list to scroll through (while parked). After using this transceiver for a year mobile I find that I can perform most actions without looking at the rig.

6. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought this rig about a month ago and so far so good. Waiting on the Nifty manual to come from Santa. LOL Menu layout is not an issue so far. I'm accustomed to programming 90's era PBX systems so menus are not a big deal.

KX4UL likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

According to the downloadable manual is for connecting the Linear Amplifier. Amazing what you can learn downloading manuals beforehand. You can see if a rig really would be a good fit or not. I wouldn't buy this if it were the last 100w portable on the market. Oh wait...it is, I digress.

DL3DCT and KG7HVR like this.
  8. NQ6M

NQ6M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I absolutely love his little radio. My go-to portable rig. Take this rig with a 5lb LiFePO4 20AH battery and operate @ 100 w as long as I've ever wanted to.
    The menus are easy to master, and once you take the time to learn how to use the the DSP and the RF gain knob TOGETHER.... and with all the filtering options you'll see
    that the receiver in this little rig is AMAZING. Kicks the sh_t out of other radios I have that cost much more, I don't care what the Sherwood specs say!
    I've never had as much fun with another radio as I have with this one. Replaced my 857D for portable, have not missed it at all!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    KJ7BDY, DL3DCT, K4FMH and 2 others like this.
  9. KX4UL

KX4UL Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you 100%. I love my FT-891. After familiarizing myself with the menus I find it a joy to operate. The menus are not that hard to follow. Maybe it’s because I am a fan of Yaesu radios and own and have owned several of their radios is why I have no trouble with the menus. I have also owned Kenwood and ICOM radios as well. Including the IC-7300. Enough whining about the menus already!

10. KX4UL

KX4UL Subscriber QRZ Page

Very well said! I have had more fun with my FT-891 than any other radio I have ever owned in 28 years! One simply has to take the time to familiarize themselves with the menus. They are actually laid out in a logical manner. And also how to use the filtering. I can get exactly what I need from the filtering on this rig. I will not sell mine. In fact I almost bought a second to use as a base. These little FT-891 radios pack a lot of bang for the buck!

KF7DS likes this.