Basic walk through on ft891 a great compact but complicated rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9TR

K9TR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The programmable A/B/C buttons that can be set to any menu setting are nice. I wish there were more, but there isn't physical room for more pushbuttons. I have mine mapped to NAR, TNR, and NB. Agree that the receiver is very good. Even with my crappy indoor bent dipole in the upstairs bedroom, I can copy sigs that are near the noise level by the usual adjustments NR, Bandwidth, NR, DNR, etc.

KZ4TN likes this.
  2. K7OPP

K7OPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Yeasu just needs an Acronym Term Bank. I find myself wondering what stuff means in the menus and diving thru the manual to figure out a menu option. If the manuals (or the Yaesu Website!) had an Acronym Term Bank the manual wouldn't nearly be as vital.

3. W1IP

W1IP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally agree, the menu phobes really have an issue and should seek counseling :) . I go into a couple of settings here and there. No, I would not adjust it while driving, and of course you should not do that with any HF radio, sheesh. I use it portable only, and its fantastic. Just set DNR to one of the softkeys and you can pop it on when you switch bands. Supports the ATAS-120, other tuners, etc. What is REALLY is missing, especially in this day any age where hams are fascinated with watching paint dry (FT8) is a built in USB sound card. Still have to use a signalink or similar. Really, what would that cost, about 3 bucks? And you already have the USB port there! W1ip

KZ4TN likes this.
  4. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

590SG...

5. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I owned one for about a month. Besides the menu the DSP was worthless. On level 1 it sounded like it was under water. I had it for a backup rig but after running it for a bit I sold it. I think Yaesu could do something with updates for some of the issues. The DSP was on a newer release than their website. The firmware was the latest as well. Not a bad radio but you could can get much better used. My 2 cents.

KG7HVR and K9GLS like this.
  6. KM4RT

KM4RT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I own one and have it as an HF mobile solution in the truck paired with a Little Tarheel II antenna. The radio functions very well and as others have said, the RX is incredible, especially when paired with the digital Noise Reduction (NR) function. I have a YT video on both the NR function demonstration as well as the voice record / playback functions that I believe are pretty nice. Links below. As others have said, the menus take some getting used to and IMO, the best way to assure your settings stick per each band is to get all the settings as you like them for the band of operation, then save this to a memory channel. Do this for all the amateur bands where you can tune and operate and also for each mode you want to operate. For example, I have a memory channel saved for 40m SSB, 40m CW, and 40m USB-D, all with appropriate names. Then, you can just go to memory mode and scroll to the band and mode where you want to operate and then tune off the stored frequency to wherever you desire to QSY. -- 73.

FT-891 Voice Record Function:
    FT-891 Dynamic Noise Reduction:

KZ4TN and KG7HVR like this.
  7. SV0SGS

SV0SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned an FT-891 for about two and a half years. You can have mine. Granted, it is a compact, relatively light weight 6m and HF radio, but it has many down sides. First, it has no built-in sound card like even the entry level Icom IC-7200 has. If you want to do digital modes you need an audio interface of some kind. Those cables plus the USB cable for rig control are a real mess, even more so when operating portable. The settings for portable on the radio are finicky. You heard of NTSC (never twice the same color) for US color TV? Well, think that about the settings for digital work with the FT-891. There is no way to directly enter a frequency. Yaesu offers no mic with this capability. I have not found one from a third party either. Do you want to mount the radio in your car? Good luck. You need two,maybe three cables running from the base to remote head. One cable connects the base to the head. Another cable connects the mic to the base. There is NO mic jack on the head. Speaker is in base. You need a cable to connect base to remote speaker. There is no touch screen or real time waterfall. The menu is looong. You have to have the operating manual nearby or memorize at least a few menu items. To change output power, you have to delve into the menu. To change filters same thing. Hard to do when you are in the middle of a QSO in the shack let alone working portable. I bought the FT-891 because here in Europe it was about half as expensive as the Icom IC-7100 (in the US they are priced similarly). Mistake. The Icom is heavier, but can be carried for portable work. It has a permanently separated head with ONE cable. Mic and phone jacks are located on head. ONE USB cable controls rig and audio for digital modes. All modes, all bands (UHF/HF/6m/HF). 100w on HF, reasonable output (don't know exact wattage) in VHF/UHF. Also does UHF/VHF SSB. A real "shack in the box."

W9JTC and WN3F like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two, One is my mobile rig and the other is portable. Best mobile rig I have run and it takes the abuse of being in a 3/4 ton over potholes for two years now. Receiver is great running through a Diamond sd330 and a remote swr meter for tuning.
    I have never had issue with the menus because I don't drive using a cell phone which means I don't tune going down the road. I stop whenever I need to shift it up or as 6mtr is on a separate antenna I flip a switch and pop the memories.
    If your confused over menus just pick up a 991a. That's the menu monster in comparison.

9. KJ7LVZ

KJ7LVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the LAP indication on your display?

10. WA9TDQ

WA9TDQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

this rig quit on me twice in 2 years - once under warranty. after second breakdown I was done with it. I do not recommend the 891.