ad: chuckmartin

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Barry came out of retirement to essentially stabilize things , especially with staff at Newington. That is a fine move on a temp basis. The point is: were there other candidates for CEO Interim who were highly qualified--and ACTIVE hams?

My opinions--

This is not a 'Barry' issue --it's a board issue on process and how you value people. It's not at all clear that there was more risk involved by bringing in a CEO Interim--someone who is also 'radio-active'-- who was not staff prior.

If they HAD brought in such a candidate, the value to the membership is : 'try before you buy'. That option evaporated---and the real question is whether ANY of those candidates SHOULD still be interested, esepcially since the (partial) perspective of the board is that the CEO should essentially be a 'general manager'.

If the board doesn't know what it wants and places Barry in there while it decides, then why did it take less than a week to decide the job description of the CEO and advertise it?

Figure out what you want before you advertise the position. Not after some search firm collects resumes. IMO you've already done that, ARRL board, at least 3 times in 4 years!

We're with you, but its gonna take a lot of sincere people-talk to repair burnt bridges--and convince families of the value of taking on an unstable job..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    K8XG likes this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron is saying that Barry RENEWED his license in 2015...

4. NN4RH

I was answering the question that was asked.

If he had asked “How long has Barry been licensed”, I would have answered that question.

W1YW likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone EVER worked Barry On the Air?????

K1OIK likes this.
  6. NN4RH

What difference does that make? Why is this an issue now, when it wasnt an issue the last time he stepped in to serve the ARRL temporarily ?

Interim = temporary. Its already in place. Trying to find reasons To critique Barry Shelly at this point is a distraction from the important issue of what a qualifications a permanent CEO should have, and what the job entails. And what relationship should exist between the Board and that position, including what the position should be called.

Clearly, what the previous 2017-18 Board had in mind is not what the current Board has in mind, or what it was ‘back in the day’.

Before they hire another CEO or GM or whatever they want to call it, they need to figure out what is best for amatuer radio going forward And they’ll need to amend the ARRL bylaws to make it clear for the future.

I am guessing that Howard Michel was trying to do the job HE thought he was hired to do. If that didnt work out, my feeling is that is at least partly the fault of the Board that was in place when he was hired.

Job descriptions of executive paid staff should not change with every BOD election.

K8XG, N2AMM and W1YW like this.
  7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the crowd's gathered, eager to light torches and sharpen pitchforks, here's a calming question to ponder... how many QRZ lookups should be required to work in Newington?

8. NN4RH

QRZ lookups count doesnt distinquish why they were looked up. For example, people might look up someone if they are being an arse on the forum.

So, how about instead we require a minimum number of forum “Likes” ?

9. N1BCG

The ability to generate passion and excite emotions. Sounds like CEO criteria.

K0UO likes this.
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

^ or a domestic partner ;)

N2AMM and N1BCG like this.
  11. N1BCG

I just gave your post a "like". You're the new CEO.

ThatWasEasy.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  12. NN4RH

The CEO should be a troll ? ;)

N2AMM and W1YW like this.
  13. N1BCG

Trolls are driven by results, not money, so it could be an unpaid position. Just a thought...

14. N1BCG

I'll tell you what -I'd- do as CEO... Having visited Newington several times, I was shocked to learn that there is NO COFFEE MACHINE anywhere on that property.

How can this be? Radio and coffee are inseparable, particularly in professional radio, so it's time to take a cue from the Part 73 crowd. There would be a multi-flavor, fresh brew by-the-cup machine installed, maybe two with a backup, and a service set up so they never run out.

I could then resign the following day having accomplished more for the staff than all previous CEOs combined. First year's salary and accomplishment bonus up front, please.

I rock.

N2AMM, KC0KEK, WB9YTG and 1 other person like this.
  15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Passion is needed at the ARRL