ad: chuckmartin

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If the incentive is to save money, going to a GM is a poor way to do it (as a monetary differential). A CEO, or 'Executive Director' often has as one of his or her tasks direct fundraising in a non-profit. This becomes a tangible indication of value, as the board can easily set targets that are multiples of the CEO's compensation.

If money is the issue then its time to let the elephant into the room...

225 Main Street is not a holy relic. There is no historical significance to the site...ARRL used to be in West Hartford. '225' was a plot out in the sticks. Now its a campus-island in the midst of a corporate and 1/8 acre lot sprawl. It used to be farm land. Now its high congestion and ripe for picking. I would conservatively set it at 30-40 million dollars. If the ARRL moved elsewhere, spectacular sprawling digs with multiple antenna farms for remotes could be had at a fraction of that cost. Likely in move-in condition.

Sell 225 Main Street.

Move.

Be closer to a major airport.

Pocket 20-40 million dollars for the organization.

And keep the CEO position...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    K8XG likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

20 miles straight up I-91 to Bradley International (BDL) is too far?

How about 7 miles to Brainard Field (HFD)?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hartford is not a major airport. Too hard to make connections. Now: some will tell you otherwise, but the reality is that Hartford is tough for connections.

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious how you derived that valuation. Best I could find online is $3m.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

How can the ARRL's real estate be valuable to another business if it isn't close enough to a major airport? There is plenty of vacant commercial property in Newington. A good sized supermarket just closed in Newington a few months ago. It may be years before it houses another business.
    Converting property to residential is can be difficult in many New England towns.
    I've been told that the value of property in this area is tied to the number of homes you can build, not the lot size.

N2RJ likes this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, you could find cheap land for an antenna farm in the rural Midwest or South, or almost any rural area, for that matter.

But if they should move, I nominate Delaware.

It's not too far, so relocation of some staff wouldn't be out of the question. Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC have significant airports.

Most importantly, having W1AW in Delaware would make WAS more accessible.

North Dakota is another option.

Just casually brainstorming...

W1YW likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Zack,

As you know, there are many corporate headquarters within 15 miles of Newington. Those companies tend to use private jets or charters. That makes it accessible for Bradley:) Ain't no charters for ARRL I presume.

That's wrong. The lot is perfect for a 5-10 story corporate headquarters campus, even multi-tenant. Not a space for Corvette Corner to expand.... Campus....that's where the value comes from. And Newington would likely give tax breaks just to get that piece of the pie.

Chip W1YW

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The lot may be, but you're assuming that local zoning would go for sticking a 5-10 story building smack dab in the middle of suburbia. You're also assuming the lot size would also accommodate sufficient parking for all the folks in that 5-10 story building. I'll make a WAG that it wouldn't fly.

10. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL has announced a search for a new CEO.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope I did my homework.

Underground garage in basement floor...standard stuff.

Not in the middle of suburbia. The area is mixed use.

Newington is hard up for bucks and would easily agree to zoning change, if needed.

K0UO likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not many stones left unturned. If the BOARD doesn't know what they WANT in a CEO (for example: A CEO is not a 'general manager') they shouldn't waste candidates' time until they figure it out.

The ham world is small; you don't look people over and THEN decide what you want.

The board has to take SOME responsibility for 4 prior years of shake rattle and roll...

The passengers are now driving the bus and it's a sellers market.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    K8XG likes this.
  13. K1KTF

K1KTF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. K1KTF

15. K1KTF

First, I’m a proud member of the ARRL and thankful Mr. Shelley stepped in as interim.
    Question I have is, has Mr. Shelley only been a licensed amateur since 2015 as a Technician!? Yes he has organizational and CFO experience which is critical to the ARRL, but I was honestly a bit taken a back.
    Again, thank you Mr. Shelley!