ad: Flexradio-1

ARRL Reaches Agreement with Community Associations Institute on Parity Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Jun 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^This does seem to be true.

And a lot of urban areas also have no real antenna or tower restrictions by municipal ordinance.

2. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an idea, an Amateur Radio Development, you must have a Ticket in good standing to buy in and Lots big enough for an antenna, a master station in the Club House for when the House Unit won't get it!! A repeater for the area!!!! The woulff Hong would be at the HOA Meeting for the recalcitrant members, a retty snitch for anybody not keeping up their lawns!!! Imagine zero turn mowers rigged with 440 !!!

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

So how does it feel to be living in a universe where no one else but yourself, and your own situation is all that really matters?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. How many years has this legislation been pushed (so far)? I recently learned that our Congress critters are each being pressured to spend up to 30 hours/week soliciting contributions from their constituents. That leaves not very much time for the work they were elected to perform. At this rate, if any legislation is ever passed, it may not happen until many of us are dead and buried. IMO, it behooves each of use to seek a different solution on our own.
    It took only a couple of weeks to find my non-HOA home in suburbia (near Seattle). It's a fairly nice neighborhood, with most modern amenities (water, power, cable/fiber/TELCO, et cetera).

5. WA7PRC

That's a good question for those who are behind HR1301/S1685.

6. KC8VWM

Agreed and it certainly is a very good question.

I feel it's very nice when the hams who are behind HR1301/S1605 are supporting one another in a meaningful and helpful way especially when many of them are faced with these most unreasonable antenna restrictions imposed upon them at HOA's.

Clearly, these hams are dedicated to preserving the amateur radio service for the future benefit of others.

Thanks for the opportunity to briefly outline how these hams are actively helping and supporting one another.

N5PZJ likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

Those "unreasonable" restrictions were freely agreed-to.

Those others are ONLY an infinitesimal number hams (< 0.25%), while the super majority of neighbors are forced to accept them.

8. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have high speed internet and Amenities. I just don't live where the hood is encroaching and the Land Nazis rule.
    Ham Radio is not the only thing in my life. I play music out almost every weekend!

9. KC8VWM

...And of course these restrictions continue to remain unreasonable with the full support of a very large number of hams regardless if anything was agreed to, or not agreed to.

Some hams in full support of these changes don't even live in an HOA for that matter. Incidentally, there doesn't need to be any signed agreement in order to oppose unreasonable antenna restrictions at HOA's.

Hams who are supporting one another seem to have a clear understanding of this. Hams who are not in support of other hams, probably don't have any idea what this is about.

Not sure if you have been following, but the primary purpose and objective of these changes is to provide all hams with the equal opportunity to install reasonable antennas in otherwise antenna restricted HOA communities.

10. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

In NYC where taxes are relatively low a row house can go for7-800,000 to start and that is with little land in a decent neighborhood. In my area property taxes are around 17K a year (but we don't have HOA's or covenants). As I've mentioned before, a neighbor who lives about 1/4 miles from me is paying $42,000 a year for property tax and my colleague who lives in the same county as I do is paying over $20,000a year just for property tax. I'm not going to spend my retirement years living in an urban ghetto without an HOA just so I can put up an antenna.

WB4YAL and N5PZJ like this.
  11. WA7PRC

"Unreasonable" is a matter of opinion. So far, a MAXIMUM of 0.25% HOA residents might agree. "Very large number" is also a matter of perspective.

Yes. SOME of the 750K US hams who don't live in a HOA agree that millions of non-hams in HOAs should be forced to accept ham antennas.
    True, you don't need to sign anything to be against it. But, if you don't sign the papers that say you accept all the terms, you won't be living in that home.

And again, "unreasonable" is a matter of opinion.

This is about stepping on the wishes of the many millions of non-hams who outnumber hams.
    Thanks for the attempted put-down.
    I have been following. And, I'm still waiting for any justification that more hams on the air is needed by the public. So far, the only testimony/evidence supplied by the pro HR1301/S1685 people says hams are CURRENTLY providing all the needed assistance to the public.

And, as has been stated many times in many threads on many forums, there are other ways hams can get on the air. There's no need to wait for government to step in.

12. KC8VWM

And it's not only a single persons opinion either. It is apparently the view of many and it has been that way in the amateur radio community for a very long time now.

I am suspecting this might explain the reason why there's a bill before Congress today. It didn't all happen suddenly overnight. Many events over many years have eventually lead to this conclusion.

Also no other justification is required. The bill before congress is the expressed will of the people. You may not agree with that expressed will, but it doesn't somehow stop them or change the reality of the situation at hand.

13. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

by the people and for the people!

KC8VWM likes this.
  14. WA7PRC

It is apparently the will of no more than 750K US hams.

That ARRL's membership is only about 25% of that number may explain why they've repeatedly pushed this legislation. More members = more revenue.

The people with the will are the infinitesimal minority.

15. KC8VWM

You may categorize them any way as you wish.

Similarly, and historically speaking we could also say disabled people or any other label of people are also in the infinitesimal minority. That doesn't somehow mean their voices should be ignored any differently.

They are still citizens who are exercising their perfectly lawful democratic authority in a process to make change.

You can oppose that process all you like, but this is how we do things in this country.