ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Reaches Agreement with Community Associations Institute on Parity Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Jun 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome. For the record, I was the first and only one to point out your 'tpyo'. However typo or not IMO, HR1309 (link) is MUCH more important than HR1301.

Even more important is HR4443 (link) that would force Congress critters to NOT directly solicit money from constituents, leaving them more time to focus on their jobs (considering legislation such as HR1301/S1685).

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever the reason for the silence, I think they are better off not saying anything more about it for at least a few more days. They need a little time for things to settle down and for them to figure out what to do next - and how to best explain the rationale for it all. They have nothing to gain by saying any more than they already did.

N5PZJ likes this.
  3. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

4. K3ILC

K3ILC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder, if this will affect me. We have covenants that were forced on us by the builder (I have a home with a yard). The builder stated that we were supposed to form an HOA. That never happened. So, to me, that means no one can ever let me put up an antenna, if the bill becomes law. This is probably a pretty common situation. The last house I lived in, we had covenants -- signed by the original homeowners, but no requirement to form and HOA.

There is a requirement for disputes to go before binding arbitration.

Sounds like my answer is just to put up an antenna, and see if anyone complains.

BTW, I don't feel good about any form of this bill passing, because this is an election year, and I don't think many will be willing to chance voting for something that may be contentious.

5. KU0O

KU0O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are in awesome shape. The covenants will be void meaning your neighbors won't be able to take any action.

N5PZJ likes this.
  6. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

There's enough slop and concessions to allow HOAs to continue to give hams a hard time and be in control. So instead of ZERO chances of fighting them and actually winning.... you now have about a 10-20% chance of getting a crappy antenna outside instead of your attic!

Reminds me of the current attack on guns and gun owners. A victory nowadays is just not losing as bad as we could have!

Ed

7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For all those who are both sides of the Fence, this is a victory for Amateur Radio since we are not a wide spread hobby with deep pockets, we have 730,000 People in the USA licensed at present and the ARRL has done a very good job fighting for Amateur Radio even though only 25% of us are members. I am a member and it is a volunteer effort to keep it going, the budget is smaller than most advocacy groups and spread out over the USA.

ARRL kicked off the Campaign for Parity Act on a shoestring Grassroots Budget and Lobbying in a Town like Washington can run into some $$$$. As a special interest group, Amateur Radio does not have a PAC or deep pockets to make any campaign donations, so our letter writing campaign carried the day, we do vote and once a Congress Critter gets over 50 to 100 Letters on a subject, he or she knows this might have something to it and pay attention to the intel coming in!!! Amateur Radio is a niche subject that congress could not ignore due to it being an iconic "American" staple, wholesome, benign, mostly portrayed as helping out in emergencies, so this does help that we Amateur have a positive image to portray. This positive image is something every Amateur can be proud of and should be jealously guarded by each individual amateur as the epitome of the Nobility of Amateur Radio. (We are Ladies and Gentlemen at our ART.)

The HOA/CCR controversy has been brewing for years in many Arenas, from simple things like NO SWINGSETS for the kids to NO PICK UPS IN THE DRIVEWAY to YOUR GRASS IS 1/4 INCH TOO LONG!! Their press had not been so good, Their major retort and support came from "Protecting Property Value" which they did perform a service in that area. When ARRL proposed the "Parity Act" CAI had to act quickly because this was gaining traction quickly and the Handwriting on the Wall was all too clear, "CCRs are not that sacred" which has been a lesson repeated in past history when other CCRs fell by the wayside, either in Federal or State Actions. The Jurisprudence in the case of the Amateur Radio Operator was gray to say the least and Any Federal Judge could rule since Radio was a federal matter, prohibitions against Amateur Radio were unconstitutional and the result would be??? CAI wanted to prevent another OTARD from coming on the scene and try and retain some control on this matter, reasonable will be debated and Architectural Committees still stay in Loop. No runaway OTARD problems and No 75 foot towers with an 80 meter beams!!! Now any place without an HOA has been thrown under the BUS with the CCRs "barred" by passage of the act, but, Oh Well, they should have had an HOA!!!

I am cautiously optimistic this Bill will move forward quite quickly when the Congressional leashes from CAI are told to "pass it" and the holds in the Senate are removed making it sail through the Senate with break neck speed, Now to get CAI and ARRL to push at the same time, I sense that CAI is anxious to pass this, ARRL just lucked out and got a new "friend" in the arena, better snuggle up while the Honeymoon is On, the FCC might not be so kind.

Martin N5PZJ

Just my opinion.

8. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

The CAI Lawyers are smarter than the ARRL's This agreement Has no teeth. They will use it to prove that they gave concessions and it was not enough. If we then try to bring up the amateur parity bill again they will cry foul.

I deplore you to search more web sites to see what they are up to, this is a planned give away to make us go away.

N4AAB likes this.
  9. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh it has teeth, Its true that a ham will not put up a 55 Ft tower and beam but neither will the HOA be able to say NO Transmissions!!! Different sets of Lawyers have different Turfs to protect, to say one is smarter than the other doesn't take in different areas of practice!!! Radio and Real Estate make for an interesting combination, Remember the FCC has to adopt something!!! Guess where our lawyer plays!!!

10. WA7PRC

That is already the case.

!!!

11. NN7W

NN7W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a good step toward getting the bill passed. There is always room for comprise, and it's a better solution than not having the bill make it to the floor for a vote. I applaud the ARRL legislative team for working thru the issues with the CAI, and look forward to its final approval.

N5PZJ likes this.
  12. KR5J

KR5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Then the ARRL will bemoan the fact that there are fewer hams getting licenses since they will not be able to have any antennas. Or, the only people that become hams will have to live in areas where no one cares about appearances.

13. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

This is one of the many reasons I am not a ARRL member anymore. All talk no action, just like politics. Glad I have a home in the County with no restrictions, few neighbors, and more antennas and towers a Ham can want. Even if this was clearly in Hams favor, it would be interesting to see how many actually put up outdoor antennas and towers. I bet the XYL over rules the H.A.M., no HOA needed.

14. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

While I do not have a dog in this fight, I study Political Science. I have an antenna farm, 20acres on a hill top very near the highest elevation in the county. By the way my grandfather was a judge, so I may know more about how lawyers think, you are dealing with a Realtor whom is trying to protect his clients. I searched for three years to find this property with NO CC&Rs

15. WA7PRC

My search took a few weeks.