ad: portazero-1

ARRL Proposes New Entry Level License Class w/ HF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1YZ, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I sometimes think it would be cool to have a basic ham ticket and then ENDORSEMENTS for everything else you attain over the years, be it code proficiency or emergency comm skills. Everybody likes to receive an acknowledgment of their hard work, so why not endorsements...sorta like a radar endorsement on the commercial phone ticket...

Amateur Radio is so many different things to each licensee that I think specialization and recognition of skills in that specialty might be the way to go.

I'm sure this has been thought of before and there's probably a million reasons why it won't work...still I think it would keep us on the learning track...

73 John K7FuddyDuddy, crusty ol' cw op

2. K4RJJ

K4RJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w6th @ Jan. 24 2004,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">....Ham radio can still go back to these past classes and still continue with the technical advancements of the future and of the past. Also remain as Amateur Radio and not a hobby....
                   .:[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I thought this was a hobby. What do you consider it to be? If the service was silenced by the goverment as it has been in the past (do your homework before taking me on in this one), I could still do something else as a hobby without transmitting.

3. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

NØELW,
    I'll see your hearts and raise you in spades,why not just make everyone an EXTRA class and let everyone just transmit where ever they feel like it.Some one suggested buying a license at Walmart when you pick up a rig,sounds good after all you can get a rig at Radio Shack,well it's almost a Ham Rig it's 2 meters but close enough to count.
    Now that the NO-CODE tickets have killed Amateur Radio has any one decided who is going to write the obituary. Maybe ARRL can put out a Special Edition of QST using the FCC data base to list the SK's
    Some one said GOD was not finished with man yet, I sure hope not, he sure has left a lot undone.

ORV
    K6UEY
    ARRL Life Member

4. K6UEY

K4RJJ,
    I think you said it with out even knowing it . You and 330,000 technicians believe it is only a hobby, but the FCC claims they are paying for a service. Admittedly screwing the GOV. is unusual, most times it is just the reverse. But maybe the time has come since the FCC is not getting what they are paying for they should just close the operation down. I'm sure on the commercial market the frequencies will bring a much higher price.

5. W8JBV

W8JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there goes ham radio,by way of 11 meters.
    Ham radio is not easy it's not ment to be,you have to work at it ,thats what makes it great.ARRL what are you thinking?
      [​IMG]

6. K4RJJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ Jan. 24 2004,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">K4RJJ,
    I think you said it with out even knowing it . You and 330,000 technicians believe it is only a hobby, but the FCC claims they are paying for a service. Admittedly screwing the GOV. is unusual, most times it is just the reverse. But maybe the time has come since the FCC is not getting what they are paying for they should just close the operation down. I'm sure on the commercial market the frequencies will bring a much higher price.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What are you talking about?

I was refering to the service closing down during the war.

If its not a hobby what is it? Please back up your argument with facts in addition to your views so you will be taken seriously.

7. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k0qi @ Jan. 24 2004,03:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't agree that the new proposal by the ARRL is a good thing.  I think that their proposal is motivated only by a desire to sell more memberships.  It all boils down to bucks, for ham radio organizations and for equipment manufacturers. Over the last 27 years as a Ham, I have seen our hobby "dumbed down", and have had dealings with new hams that have NO earthly idea of what it means to be a part of the Amateur Radio FRATERNITY.  Don't believe me?  Compare the tests of today with the tests of 20 years ago, or 30 years ago, or even 10 years ago.   Here is my sarcastic take on our current "tests":

Since ARRL, and, it seems a number of amateurs, want to "dumb down" our hobby, which I have been a part of since 1976, here is the NEW TEST for just ONE class of license!  Here goes:

Hint:  Disregard A, B and D.  You may use your calculator, laptop computer or phone-a-friend.

1)  What is a simplex frequency on the 2m band?
        (a)  Megaphone
        (b)  14.210
        ©  146.520
        (d)  www.arrl.org

2)  What is the formula for a dipole antenna?
        (a)  Visa Card+Nearest Ham Radio Store+Phone Call
        (b)  Moonraker Beam on my tower
        ©  468/Freq in Mhz
        (d)  None of the above. (What is a dipole)?

3)  What band is 7.253mhz located on?
        (a)  HF
        (b)  One of the knobs on my radio, I think.
        ©  40m
        (d)  Bon Jovi

4)  If a fuse blows on a power supply, you should:
        (a)  Immediately call a repair shop.
        (b)  Replace fuse with a nail.
        ©  Unplug from AC outlet and troubleshoot.
        (d)  Replace fuse with one that is 100ohms stronger.

Ya know, that is MUCH too hard.  Why don't we just get together with a large retail chain store, and offer Amateur Radio Licenses in the electronics department?  We could sell them like phone cards, with temporary callsigns, that would expire in a week, or a month!  That way, the equipment manufacturers could make a boatload of money, the ARRL could get about a gazillion more memberships, and the cost and expense for giving exams would be zilch!  That way, the VE program could be disbanded!  No more buddies "giving away" tests, and, more importantly, no more disappointed guys and gals walking away with just a piece of paper, being FORCED to wait on the FCC to process their paperwork!  OR, why not just let us use our Social Security Number instead of that pesky callsign?  That way, when we buy our license card at the store, no more being FORCED to wait on the FCC!   New applicants would not have to undergo the cruel and unusual punishment of actually PROVING that they demonstrate a knowledge of the rules & regs, have an elementary knowledge of electronics theory, and, could hopefully keep their equipment in good working order and within the band limits.  How insensitive to want new hams actually TESTED on these things!  Well, how about it folks?  Think I am over reacting?  Look what has happened in the LAST 25 years...I don't think that it will EXIST in the NEXT 25 years.  

"GoodBye, Ham Radio.  It sure was fun while you existed.  May your memory rest in peace".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    At least the ARRL is trying to help Amateur Radio, what have you done? I know it's a hard pill to swallow, change is always hard. I believe this; if this purposal is adopted only about 30% of the ones that will grandfather will even buy a HF rig. Why becasue they can't carry it in they pocket. So what are you worried about. Since you said it's a me me I want it free what are you going to lose on HF and how can you prove it. You can't, so if you get out the hobby and give up something you like to do. I thinks thats a bad idea.

Consider this, at least you have some new hams to talk to?

Jim
    W5SSG

8. AC7WN

AC7WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote K6UEY
    NØELW,
    I'll see your hearts and raise you in spades,why not just make everyone an EXTRA class and let everyone just transmit where ever they feel like it.Some one suggested buying a license at Walmart when you pick up a rig,sounds good after all you can get a rig at Radio Shack,well it's almost a Ham Rig it's 2 meters but close enough to count.
    Now that the NO-CODE tickets have killed Amateur Radio has any one decided who is going to write the obituary. Maybe ARRL can put out a Special Edition of QST using the FCC data base to list the SK's
    Some one said GOD was not finished with man yet, I sure hope not, he sure has left a lot undone.

ORV
    K6UEY
    ARRL Life Member

So whats your suggestion for the forthcoming QRM thats going to be on the amatuer bands if the FCC acceptes this proposal. Lets say only 100,000 new generals take to HF. For example, 18 meters how do you get 50,000 Qso's on a band thats only 58khz wide(phone). How about the contest weekends on 20 and 15 meters when you have another 100,000 hams competing for frequency space. The FCC has to allocate more spectrum for added 350,000 newcomers.

9. K6UEY

K4RJJ,
    Well if you were a legitimate licensed Amateur when you signed your name to recieve the FCC Grant of a license you certified you were familiar with CFR47 Part 97 The Amateur Radio Regulations. You are of course required to have a copy handy. You can look up part 97.1 Basis and Purpose.
    Unless the NO-CODERS have changed that also you will not find the word "HOBBY" listed.
    If you need any more proof than that I suggest you call Gettysburg and discuss it with them.........

10. KC9BGY

KC9BGY Ham Member QRZ Page

I say we get out the the Wouff-Hong and Rettysnitch and we'll all meet at Newington February 14th and show the league how much we still care. The 'Old Man' is probably rolling in his grave.

Don't know what I'm talking about?
    Follow the links below:

http://www.cebik.com/wouf.html
    http://www.cebik.com/ugger.html

73, Dean

11. K6UEY

NØELW,
    Well I don't know what you are going to do if the FCC buys that plan but in my case, I'm going to drop the antenna and add a short length of wire to each end and move a 100KC's down the band where it will be quiet and civil.You NO-CODERS wanted it now you can stew in your own broth.........

12. WA8BZC

WA8BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

It had to happen.

As long as there are SEPERATE bands for the REAL Hams to operate, what the hell. I can stay out of their frequencies. I just hope the these new CB Hams will stay in theirs.

They should also have unique calls so we can tell them from REAL Hams and maybe help to keep them in their own bands and sub-bands.

Of course they MUST be required to join ARRL in order to pay their tribute to them and of course declare loyality to the benvolent dictator of ham radio.

13. AC7WN

AC7WN Ham Member QRZ Page

To: K6UEY Orv

Yeah I know you. Your one of W6OBB cronies on 3.830Mhz.

14. K6BBC

K6BBC Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KG6OOA and K6UEY. You guys lost the debate. Time to welcome our FELLOW HAMS to HF.

K6BBC

15. K4RJJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ Jan. 24 2004,13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">K4RJJ,
    Well if you were a legitimate licensed Amateur when you signed your name to recieve the FCC Grant of a license you certified you were familiar with CFR47 Part 97 The Amateur Radio Regulations. You are of course required to have a copy handy. You can look up part 97.1 Basis and Purpose.
    Unless the NO-CODERS have changed that also you will not find the word "HOBBY" listed.
    If you need any more proof than that I suggest you call Gettysburg and discuss it with them.........[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I have my copy. on CD rom as well.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 47, Volume 5]
    [Revised as of October 1, 2002]
    From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
    [CITE: 47CFR97.1]

[Page 562-563]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 97--AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE--Table of Contents

Subpart A--General Provisions

Sec. 97.1 Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an
    amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the
    following principles:
    (a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service
    to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service,
    particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.
    (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
    contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
    &copy; Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through
    rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and
    technical phases of the art.

[[Page 563]]

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio
    service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
    (e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to
    enhance international goodwill.

points a & d say allot.... as do they all.

I am a legitimate licenced amateur and I resent personally the comment. You are making this way too personal sir.

Think I'll go join the ARRL so I can be part of the voice. Unless you don't want to encourage a potential member...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.