ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Affiliated Contest Clubs criticize BOD actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

WN1MB, that may be true. But if you dance with the board, you part of the problem. If he disagrees with current board actions, he should state so publicly. He resigns, or he is just one of them. Cant have it both ways.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

And now a virtual erruption of vagueness spewing from the top. Many words, no sunshine. Just embrace the darkness.

http://www.arrl.org/news/a-note-to-members-from-arrl-president-rick-roderick-k5ur

Ironically the embedded link to The ARRL Policy on Board Governance and Conduct of Members of the Board of Directors and Vice Directors directs to a web page for "missing" files.

No new facts to counter clear evidence of lack of transparency on decision making. Knee-jerk push back on members contributing rational suggestions to governance policy.

No taking of responsibility, no accountability. THIS NOISE IS ALL THE FAULT OF SILLY MISGUIDED MEMBERSHIP! (gaslighting)

Simply TRUST the long legacy of the ARRL; groupthink management enables them to always know better then you do ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    AE1P likes this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

AE1P likes this.
  4. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whether the ARRL knows it or not, it's clear that they have an image management problem with many of their ARRL members and member organizations. The problem has the potential to blossom into a crisis if dues-paying members and associations believe that they are not being heard or respected, if there isn't sufficient value to being a member, or just as bad, if behaviors and actions have changed at the ARRL that no longer reflect the values of the American amateur radio community.

If you search the web there are some common themes to deal with these situations:

1) Respect the membership by publicly and sincerely acknowledging that there is an image problem, even if the organization doesn't fully understand or agree to what it is yet
    2) Reassure the membership that the CEO is going to champion and own the process to communicate, understand, and act to resolve the problem
    3) Provide several opportunities to openly solicit and listen to all members' reactions including annual members, life members, associations, BOD, etc.
    4) Categorize the concerns, prioritize the concerns and formulate clear action plans with timetables to address the concerns
    5) Own the mistakes and apologize for them
    6) Provide the membership with a 5 year master plan that is opened up and revisited every several years
    7) Set firm goals and evaluate progress every quarter and annually
    8) Keep decisions as transparent as possible by communicating them and the reasons for them to the membership and addressing member feedback, good and critical, regularly
    9) Thank the members for being concerned, for speaking out and for helping to keep the organization valuable to members
    10) Celebrate the fact that we live in the greatest country on earth, have the greatest most vibrant and outspoken membership of any amateur radio organization anywhere, and that the ARRL is ready, with metrics, to prove that it brings value to the membership by actively promoting and advocating for amateur radio for the next 104 years

Values affect behavior, and behavior affects everything. Values should be written down, and I have never borrowed a better set than these: Truth, Respect, Excellence, Teamwork, Integrity. Through these values civilized behaviors are expected and required-which then build Trust.

Trust is where the problem seems to be...if I'm reading the tenor of the above comments correctly.

Good luck Tom Gallagher, I hope for the best.

5. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fighting with ARRL is like wrestling with a pig, you get dirty, the pig gets dirty; but the pig likes it. Save your energy, vote with your feet.

6. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough, that qualifies the "good" cause, but omits that the cause should be shown. In the cases of the disqualification of K4AC and the censure of N6AA, the League has taken very public action for very secret reasons. They claim that the secrecy is due to "personnel matters", but this smells highly of organic fertilizer. Directors and candidates for Director are elected officials, not employees. The voters are entitled to the facts.

7. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's closer to shareholders in that ARRL is a corporation and the members elect the BoD. Stakeholders is a broader term meaning those with an interest or concern, but not necessarily a vote or means of influencing a decision by the governing body. Unlike a traditional corporation, one can't buy multiple "shares" in ARRL, but each member votes one "share".

8. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a longer set of values, but even so, hundreds of thousands have memorized them since childhood:

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sneaky, self loyal, Shirking, Supercilious, Brusk, Condescending, Two faced, Boondoggler, squanderer, and taking self too seriously. Learn the ARRL values.

NK2U and K0IDT like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

APPOINTMENT OF BARRY N1VXY AS CEO OF ARRL

I would like to ward off a likely criticism of Barry's recent appointment, and that criticism has to do with Barry as a licensed Tech.

First, Barry is a very competent person who has a history of facilitation in the ARRL-- and he knows us. He's been at the League for 28 years. He's friendly.

Don't assume that since he is a Tech that he will neither relate nor support the vast initiatives that are more broadly based on HF operation. That is a foolish concern. Those programs are an integral part of the ARRL.

In fact, Barry , as a Tech, is a great choice, for the simple reason that the vast majority of US hams ARE Techs. It sends an important message: TECHS ARE IMPORTANT. The ARRL needs Techs. We ALL need Techs.

So please: try to layoff the dissing. Its snotty and unnecessary. Most Techs stay Techs because they choose that, based primarily on VHF/UHF use.

The real issue is getting us all ON THE AIR. Techs, as a whole, are mostly radio-silent. And that's a shame. Perhaps tailoring more QST articles to nudge them to operate (outside of ARES drills and prepper tests) is a helpful approach.

I think we ALL should become Extras, but that doesn't mean I have any interest in imposing that world view on others.

Give Barry a chance to do a great job for all of us.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    AK2M, N0TZU, KV6O and 1 other person like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The class of license held by the operator doesn't matter as much as the class of the operator who holds the license.

Twenty eight years with the ARRL says a lot in favor of Barry. Hope he doesn't just act as a puppet for the dark side of the BoD. If not then he has my full support and best wishes.

The re-election of K5UR as President was by no means a landslide. Hopefully that lack of mandate moderates his hostile position toward membership input.

73, John, WØPV

N0TZU and W1YW like this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Now overshadowed by the news of the CEO "retiring" is the unreported departure last November of the ARRL Media and Public Relations Manager Sean Kutzko, KX9X. I thank him for his service too. (Hope to QSO again soon!)

That is a significant middle management position to be vacant. The timing is also curious. Sean had been employed at the League for over 10 years in multiple roles and involved with some serious projects, NPOTA, QST.

Certainly 2017 was a stressful year full of opportunities for ARRL PR with legislative and EMCOMM situtations.

I wonder if his departure is at all connected with the BoD, CEO, or other controversies too. See below.

In the W3KD response letter to KØBG (see www.myARRLvoice.com), an explanation and attempted justification of the N6AA censure, and a forceful rebuke to the resulting protests, boldly yet incorrectly states "ARRL has a communications person on staff. It is not the proper role of individual directors to speak for the organization or to publicly evaluate the wisdom of the collective decisions of the Board."

However, the job description clearly states "The ARRL Media and Public Relations Manager is responsible for explaining the value of the Amateur Radio Service to the media and the general public, directly and through volunteers."

So, the principle role of ARRL Media / PR staff IS NOT COMMUNICATION OF POLICY WITH THE MEMBERS.

That is the explicit responsibility of the elected Division Directors.

73, John, WØPV

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

KX9X did a great job, but I think you need to look at his departure as a natural progression in his own career.

Chip W1YW

W0PV likes this.
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Chip for your more proximate advice about the ARRL Media /PR turnover. Coincidences do happen. Still another hole in a listing ship though. Best of luck to Sean KX9X in his new post.

I still feel that W3KD is way off base claiming ARRL staff speaks for the organization on all matters or especially to members on important policy.

Have a great day! :)

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My opinion is that we should let them regroup and get back to business, with the transparency we all wanted. Obviously there were major shakeups last week.

N0TZU likes this.