ARRL Affiliated Contest Clubs criticize BOD actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WELP, That's a shame. I was first licensed in 1976 but let that expire in 1981. After the hurricanes last summer I decided to get back into HAM radio. I thought it would be good to join ARRL, so I did. I wondered why there were so many operators now who are not members. This thread explains that. I will be letting my membership expire unless I see some positive changes in the way management is running ARRL before that happens.

KI4LXB, W3JY and ND6M like this.
  2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

One more question, why wasn't K3RF aware of an alleged conflict of interest beforehand? Somewhere there should be a document detailing what constitutes conflict of interest unless it's a moving target
    defined on the fly by the Ethics committee. Maybe the Catch-22 thing again.

W3JY likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

There is a document detailing what constitutes a conflict of interest.

It's called Appendix "A" of the ARRL Articles of Association.

This is only a small portion of it...

conflict of interest.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, so K3RF should have been aware of that but what part did he violate? Did anyone at HQ make him aware of the problem to give him a chance to either fix it or withdraw
    on his own? Something still smells bad about the whole thing. Then there's N6AA and a few other unexplained personnel changes happening to the field organization, good
    people are leaving if not being dismissed outright.......more than what could be considered normal turnover.

W3JY likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Obviously I don't have the answer to your question, nor will I attempt to speculate. I am merely providing you with information pertaining to the existence of the document detailing and describing what constitutes a conflict of interest. I hope this information was helpful.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There was not;

Bob asked them. He did not get an answer as to what the League saw as his "conflict of interest". In other words, the alleged conflict of interest by the League was asserted but not shown.

Those are the facts.

So, are we to see, in the future, members having their memberships revoked "for cause", but with no explanation for what so-called "cause" was?

W3JY likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is exactly the point: Bob was not told what was the "conflict of interest".

W3JY likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been in touch with Bob, and the answer is :"no". He was not informed on what was the alleged "conflict of interest".

W3JY likes this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone else hear the jack boots marching in?

N5YCK and W3JY like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, much of what was brought to the board as amendations is, in spirit, designed to bring the articles and bylaws in line with 'standards of practice' with other non-profits. That is a totally legitimate . If that is your gripe, then it has no compelling basis.

The issue is the ambiguity of the wording, or lack of any detail, presents opportunities for abuses of such amendations (if adopted) beyond the presumed intent. I and many have major concerns about that, based on recent actions by the board.

Sending the proposed amendations back for additional consideration--tabled for this board meeting-- is the only reasonable thing to do, given the great number of members and major donors clearly expressing concern with the proposed amendations.

Not acting on the wishes of members and major donors will, IMO, create a huge new problem, that transcends the mere act of paying more attention to wording and process.

K2EIR, W0PV and N0TZU like this.