ad: Flexradio-1

AnyTone D878UV vs. D868UV Comparison

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Jan 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The AnyTone D878UV came out a few months ago. The AnyTone AT-D868UV was a wildly popular dual-band, dusk-mode HT for the ham radio.

Teardowns of the AnyTone D878 have shown some interesting comparisons to the D868 — so is the new radio worth the money?

2. KH2PM

KH2PM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both. I started with the 868, and recently bought the 878. So many features and awesome capabilities. An awesome value for the $$$.

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

For those with the 868, the just-released 2.34 firmware changes the display to the same white-on-black as the 878.
    Nothing compelling about the 878 at this time for me to switch. Audio leveling would be a welcome update for either one but doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

4. K3BH

K3BH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the information on 2.34, and I agree on audio leveling. On my 868, I turned my maximum audio level down to 5 and that seems to have ameliorated the levels somewhat.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Word for the day...

Ameliorated = to make better

I had to look it up. :)

AC8SB likes this.
  6. N3GTO

N3GTO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both 868 and 878, and really like them. The only problem I have, is that I now have a white square for an icon, after I updated my 868 to a black screen. I did the icon update, and still have the white square, but I can live with that. In my opinion, both are the best DMR HTs on the market.

7. KE5MC

N3GTO,
    I seem to remember having or seeing the white square issue as a comment in the notes or on the radio. I don't recall what made it go away. Likely a radio reset, but I know it went away.

8. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both ... the 868 is not performed in VHF analogue mode , solved in the 878 !

the 878 have plus the :

- Roaming mode
    - APRS digital

878 now is a little best about the "old" 868 ....

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

9. K1JWJ

K1JWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the white square on my 868 screen as well!

10. K1JWJ

K1JWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the white square on my 868 screen as well!

11. IW2BSF

sorry whtite square .... what is ???

NOW the 868 with the ultimate FW have the diplay black look like the 878 ! 73

12. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 868 "version 2" being delivered Monday. Im not sure what the differences between version 1 and 2 are... and what is the "ultimate firmware"? Im new into DMR so this is going to be a roller coaster for me I suppose.

13. KE5MC

Version 1 was first generation hardware and as I recall the microprocessor wiring changed which impacts which firmware in an update package to apply. In other words don't apply the version 1 firmware to a version 2 hardware device.

I believe the reference to "ultimate firmware" might be when the firmware update changed background too black. An additional step was added to change icons on the display. If not done you got 'white square' icons. All of my comments are for going thru the changes many months ago. I may not have remembered them exactly. :)

W4FDT likes this.
  14. IW2BSF

??? sure ?

Arrived yesterday means that it is a new radio and then an 878 version 2!

The radio very old 868 had 2 different HW with different FW ... but they are a few years ago and no longer sold!

So I think you talk about the new 878 that is now at the FW version 1.22.

Ok? 73

15. KE5MC

Arriving Monday does not mean new. Only the 868 have a version change and W4FDT did say 868 version 2.