AnyTone D878UV vs. D868UV Comparison

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Jan 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC Ham Member QRZ Page

The AnyTone D878UV came out a few months ago. The AnyTone AT-D868UV was a wildly popular dual-band, dusk-mode HT for the ham radio.

Teardowns of the AnyTone D878 have shown some interesting comparisons to the D868 — so is the new radio worth the money?

2. KH2PM

KH2PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both. I started with the 868, and recently bought the 878. So many features and awesome capabilities. An awesome value for the $$$.

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

For those with the 868, the just-released 2.34 firmware changes the display to the same white-on-black as the 878.
    Nothing compelling about the 878 at this time for me to switch. Audio leveling would be a welcome update for either one but doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

4. K3BH

K3BH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the information on 2.34, and I agree on audio leveling. On my 868, I turned my maximum audio level down to 5 and that seems to have ameliorated the levels somewhat.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Word for the day...

Ameliorated = to make better

I had to look it up. :)

6. N3GTO

N3GTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both 868 and 878, and really like them. The only problem I have, is that I now have a white square for an icon, after I updated my 868 to a black screen. I did the icon update, and still have the white square, but I can live with that. In my opinion, both are the best DMR HTs on the market.

7. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N3GTO,
    I seem to remember having or seeing the white square issue as a comment in the notes or on the radio. I don't recall what made it go away. Likely a radio reset, but I know it went away.

8. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both ... the 868 is not performed in VHF analogue mode , solved in the 878 !

the 878 have plus the :

- Roaming mode
    - APRS digital

878 now is a little best about the "old" 868 ....

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy