ad: Radclub22-1

A Demand for Transparency at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8SIW, Jul 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the info. What are they "responsible" for, how many hours do they "work", and what other benefits do they collect, such as travel, etc. I am not trying to argue, just to understand. Thanks again.

2. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems like pretty good pay to me. Maybe not to the top dogs, 1%. I make decent money, but more importantly to me, enjoy and am proud of what I do. Thank you and 73.

3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not relevant for any one in the C suite or within the upper management circle, lower down the pole a person is the greater their accountability to "hours" worked. This is the structure in business and holds with many other models.

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For whatever it's worth, $100-$150k isn't out of line for a low-to-mid level management job at insurance companies in the Hartford area (where the dominant industries are insurance, aircraft engineering, and government).

That doesn't mean that such jobs are worth that amount (or more or less), or that other positions aren't valuable. It's just an indication of what companies in the area have to offer to attract folks with certain skill sets and experience levels.

Hartford ain't cheap...although it's not as expensive as some places in California, or New York City, or Boston.

WA8FOZ and WF9Q like this.
  5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Trivia: I'm president of a radio club that meets at ARRL HQ.

Our monthly meetings start at 7:30pm.

Tom, NY2RF usually drops in to say hi...and is typically wrapping up work when our meeting adjourns. I understand that he's usually in relatively early in the morning.

N5PZJ likes this.
  6. N2OA

N2OA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You may treat it as a hobby but it is a service and one of it's three reasons for existing is emergency communications. http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/amateur.html
    The FCC established amateur radio as a voluntary, non-commercial, radio communications service. It allows licensed operators to improve their communications and technical skills, while providing the nation with a pool of trained radio operators and technicians who can provide essential communications during emergencies.
    While Amateurs may not be needed in many parts of the country most of the time, they are called upon in some part of the country almost every day.

N4AXE likes this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually there are about 11 stated purposes for amateur radio. And yes, it is a hobby.

Who does the Radio Control Service serve? Who am I serving when I fly my RC glider?

"Service" as used by the FCC is a term of organization. The FCC serves "Us" the users. Not the other way around.

KG7E likes this.
  8. N4AXE

N4AXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What you never hear about is alternatives. Also if you aren't a member how can you possibly cast a vote that matters. Have an opinion sure. Maybe some of these old timers that have seen it all will start leading from the front, instead of the back at the armchair brigade. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

9. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

That doesn't sound correct to me, but there is no point in bashing it about. I suppose you mean 2 minutes of great intelligence is worth more than 40 hours of hard work. I am just a lineman for the county, 21st century style. Thank you and 73.
    C-suite is a widely-used slang term used to collectively refer to a corporation's most important senior executives. C-Suite gets its name because top senior executives' titles tend to start with the letter C, for chief, as in chief executive officer, chief operating officer and chief information officer.

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard a guy on local repeater saying he was offered a position in Newington. He was honored until they got to salary discussions. He claims he makes 3x as much at a corporate job and said he's not ready to volunteer his services just yet.

WF9Q likes this.
  12. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

For all the B*tchin and moaning going on here is most likely from those that are not members. To those I say, if not the ARRL then who? Who else is out there putting forth the effort to lobby Congress, the FCC, State legislatures and even having their legal counsel write letters to city government when the city is trying to do something that only the FCC has jurisdiction over.
    Again I ask, if not the ARRL then who?

I am proud to be a (soon to be a life) member. Do I agree with all that they do? Of course not, but they do represent the hams in this country as there is no other organization out there to do it.
    As far as the Leadership of the organization, you can email your Director, Section manager or anyone else you care to and express your opinion.
    Most members don't even vote for their Division Director. Their is a recent article in August QST that says it is around 25%. That is pathetic.

To those who are members I say express your opinions to your Director and Section Manager...Let him / her know what you think.
    To those who are not members, join.

To those who just want to be a part of the problem, I say GET OFF MY LAWN! and quit your b*tchin.!

WA8FOZ, N4AXE and N5PZJ like this.
  13. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At Dayton, I asked Tom Gallagher about his philosophy regarding herding cats. As I can best remember, he said that he would assemble the facts and have at it. As one who has spent a career herding cats, I think that about covers it.

The thing about torches and pitchforks is that someone carrying them may not see beyond the range illuminated by his torch and end up stabbing himself with the pitchfork. Often the torches do not provide even enough light to read a 990-EO, a budget, or meeting minutes.

Sigh.

KA0HCP likes this.
  14. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a member, and have been for years, but considering several boneheaded decisions out of Newington, I find myself leaning more and more toward KQ6XA's opinion.

15. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

What is it with people who have good ideas, yet come of sounding like a raving madman?

There's so many things wrong with that petition. Looks as if an angry 16-year old wrote it.

Much ado about nothing. Someone upset over actions of which they really don't know all the details of. And then use that to brush the whole system as faulty.

I guess I'm not feeling the "significant concern amongst members."

Much like the NRA, the ARRL has it's flaws, but it's slightly better than nothing.