ad: Radclub22-1

A Demand for Transparency at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8SIW, Jul 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2NEO

KC2NEO Ham Member QRZ Page

As someone who has volunteered time on boards, I can only say that sometimes the reasons for doing things behind closed doors is because no matter what you do, there will be extra effort involved in dealing with petty members who insist on moving against EVERY move leadership makes.

As I was a volunteer, it really put me off giving my time and energy dealing with those that don't get off their duffs to volunteer but relish the opportunity to grandstand at public meetings just to dismantle the work that the board has done through the year.

I'm not saying this applies to the ARRL but I do think if someone is so concerned with the dealings of the ARRL, the best thing to do is to simply get involved and see how the sausage is made and help to make it!

KC2NEO http://www.qrz.com/db/KC2NEO

WA8FOZ, KA0HCP and WG7X like this.
  2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't bother because only Division Directors and ARRL officers are allowed to speak at board meetings.

3. KB0CCN

KB0CCN Ham Member QRZ Page

While I understand what these people are doing. Since they have resigned and are no longer members why would the ARRL care what these people think. It's kind of like writing a letter to a legislator from another state.

WJ4U, KA0HCP and WG7X like this.
  4. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't see how a request for transparency can be a problem, unless there is a problem. I'm signing it. I've read about too many people who have quit because they were treated poorly.

5. AF4RK

Why would the ARRL care about what hams think? I think that proves the petition is necessary.

6. AF4RK

ARRL is the national association for Amateur Radio in the US. That is the slogan on the ARRL web site. Doesn't say anything about only representing members. That's why they should pay attention to non-members or they won't have any members.

7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be satisfied if they'd just accept they ONLY represent the 20% of hams that choose to be members, and not the other 80% that choose NOT TO BE members.

Speaking of transparency:

I've never seen any resolution to the following questions posed by QRZ members in many of the discussion(s) here on QRZ:

1. The so-called parity bill is based on a faulty premise: Antennas at residences are simply not necessary for emcomm, are they?
    2. Very few hams pass emcomm traffic. If the bill passes, the new antennas will, in all likelihood, not be used for emcomm, will they?
    3. Hams will be req'd to reveal their current stealth antennas and then go through an approval process, very possibly ending up with something inferior to what they now enjoy, correct?
    4. ARRL is simply foisting a lie on congress (CAI calls it a guise) saying that this bill's necessary for public safety -- when it's not necessary, is it?
    5. Should existing land covenants be legislated out of existence simply so old men can ragchew on 40 meters?
    6. New antennas bring a new potential for interference which can be difficult to eradicate, is that fair to residents who purchased with the certainty of no antennas/no interference?
    7. Homeowners who bought these properties at a premium will potentially be faced with new eyesores and nuisance interference, is that fair to the majority?
    8. Hams are being selfish: they want to abrogate covenants so they can enjoy a hobby, why is this okay?
    9. ARRL is only doing this to sell magazines, retain jobs, and sell memberships, and they only represent 20% of hams, correct?
    10. Using the 'emcomm excuse' is disingenuous. Don't many hams disagree on principle alone?
    11. Weaseling out of covenants is unfair to neighbors, isn't it?
    12. ARRL only represents 20% of the ham population; why do they pretend they represent hams as a whole?
    13. Hams who discuss the bill are in disagreement. Is any real consensus possible?
    14. The FCC already determined antennas aren't necessary for emcomm. Why is ARRL doing this, if not to keep ARRL afloat, using the 'emcomm' boogeyman?

Note: These aren't my questions; these are an assortment of many unanswered questions which were repeated with no substantive answer or rebuttal.

N3WJL likes this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. Just no. The rest of the ham community has three choices:
    -Join ARRL
    -Represent themselves
    -Form another association to represent them

You can't be a non-member and have the benefits of membership.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    WG7X and WJ4U like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. The SM was previously warned in writing about violating the ARRL-FEMA MOU. He did so again, and has admitted doing so. He was fired. He got all the ''due process' deserved.
    2. You are proposing membership voting on personnel and management matters? How daft!

WN2C, N0TZU, KG7E and 3 others like this.
  10. KA1ICA

KA1ICA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hit the ARRL where it hurts. Money talks. Cancel your membership. It appears that the ARRL is self servicing. All financial matters should be open to ALL members.

11. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL is the only game in town and so far as I know everyone working there is doing a great job. Transparency is nice but so to
    is the other side of the coin that allows an organization to get things done after one fashion or another.

WA8FOZ and WF9Q like this.
  12. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's also written ARRL Rules & Regulations that clearly limit what Section Managers can do (paragraph 3), and state the ARRL authority to remove anyone in the field organization any time they feel it is in the ARRL's best interest to do so (paragraph 11). Seems pretty "transparent" to me.

KA0HCP, WF9Q, KG7E and 2 others like this.
  13. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people just like to stir up the pot. First, the ARRL is a private organization and no one is entitled to "due process" in a private organization. Second, the guy was warned a couple of times not to do what he did. You don't follow the rules, you are going to get whacked and he did.

The ARRL runs just fine and is plenty transparent. I won't be taking part in this silliness.

N0TZU, KG7E and WG7X like this.
  14. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Long overdue. They have conducted countless vendetta's over the years and K1ZZ was nothing more than a place holder. It's time to bring everything into the sunlight so all can be seen and understood.

Ron Weaver W6OM

15. N3WJL

N3WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for pointing out the ecomm lie.
    Ham radio is a HOBBY and that's all. If my local police department has a major radio failure (the tower comes down, the repeater blows up etc.) They will simply 'flip a switch' and use one of the county frequencies. They'd never call on HAM radio. If something MAJOR happened and the whole region or country wide phones and cells were down it would be most likely an EMP that would also take out HAM radio, if somehow it was only cell and phone or power then it would still be major and talking to other people would be the least of my worries. I'd grab my survival kit, water, backpack, AR-15 and head to the hills!