ad: wmr-1

73 Magazine: All issues now online

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA5ZNU, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Reading at the library is fine. Photocopying an entire book to take home is not. Downloading a PDF of a book is equivalent to photocopying it.

The bible is not copyrighted. Even if it were at one point, it would have expired many years ago.

2. WA7PML

WA7PML Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, the file for the May 1982 issue is still the corrupted copy.... grr-r-r-r!!! So the search continues :(

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

\\

Why is that important?

You should be searching by interest. Doubtless if you find a subject on which I have written you will be drawn to it by the index.

I will not provide copies of articles 'just because Chip wrote them'. That makes no sense.

Chip W1YW

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope.

Then what does it matter if the articles are downloadable someplace? How are you harmed?

There's no rumpus room in my house. And real estate is a completely different kind of property.

Your use of my home would impinge on my privacy and deny me the use of it. Serious harm. What harm is there to you if your articles are downloadable?

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Much ado about nothing? The archive site seems to have a simple procedure to have any material removed by claimed copywrite owners:

It's in the Terms, Privicy, & Copyright section near the top of the opening page.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I were to write an article for a magazine, I would be HONORED for anyone to read it, copy it and enjoy it. I am not about making money on things that others can enjoy. The one short story I do have published on the web "Escape from East St. Louis" is free for the world to enjoy.

http://windsweptpress.com/sxadv.pdf

The only thing I care about is that they ENJOY it. If the magazine so decided to pay me anything for it, that would just be gravy on the top of having it published. I am not about MAKING MONEY on Ham Radio! There are plenty of jobs to do make money out of without FLEECING my fellow Hams for. If I were to write a book someday, and people wanted to buy it, I would be most pleased. But if they wanted to download it for free, that is fine too. I like hard copies. I don't view pdfs as the same, as they have to be printed out, and printing out a 200 page book is a formidable task that will wind up costing more in copy paper and toner than buying the book printed would cost. Since I am an avid homebrewer, I need data and schematics from the past to use in my projects. So I might only Xerox a few pages out of a book to use when I am designing. I doubt there is a Builder alive who didn't copy a schematic or circuit details out of a book somewhere to help his project.

So I have no problem about downloading these mags, along with all the manuals I have downloaded from the net. There are currently about 10GB of manuals here on my computer including most of the Heathkit manuals that are now VERBOTTEN! These are highly useful, and I am NOT making money on them or selling them like the Manual Brokers do. I did buy the Ham Radio CD set and would have bought the 73 Mag CD set had they ever been made available. But either way, I will get them anyway possible, so I HAVE the information needed to build projects.

7. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a personal choice. You would have to also agree that there is an alternative view. Lennon and McCartney used copyrights for economic purposes, and so do most people who copyright things.

Since none of the 73 Articles have individual copyrights under the authors name, then each article is covered by the masthead. Whoever owns 73 Magazine, owns the copyrights from what I see. It might be interesting to know if any business records exist anymore for Greens businesses. In any case, only someone with an extra $500k laying around would want to pursue forming a legal team to document the business records to a legal point.

8. WA6TKD

I've been inactive for a long time. What was the reason that 73 stopped publishing when it did? What is he up to these days?

Thanks

9. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it was an economic decision. Printing costs versus advertising revenue. His staff was always kind of barebones, but they still needed to be paid. We have a huge Quad Graphics printing plant here locally, and the prices are just amazing. I don't know how anyone can still be doing paper.

Last I saw Wayne was doing miracle health type stuff, but that was a few years ago. http://www.waynegreen.com

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The founder/owner, Wayne Green, attributed it to simple economics: He couldn't generate enough revenue via advertising sales to sustain operations at whatever cost point those were.

Seems very plausible, and sensible.

However I think things were kind of falling apart there for a few years. Stories of an assistant who was stealing money, and all sorts of stories. I have no clue how true any of them are, but there were a lot of stories.

73 in its heyday (probably late 70s through late 80s or so) seemed very successful; it was about 50% "ads," but that's a good thing, and kept the subscription rates low.

11. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

12. WA6TKD

Yes, I recall in maybe the late 70s that some issues seemed to be almost a full inch thick! Then later he seemed to really hit gold in the microcomputer world with Byte magazine, leader of the pack by a large margin. Hope he managed to squirrel some money away for his old age, but seemed to recall much legal difficulties with his ex and so on.

13. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

before I anger some of the wonderful Authors on here, I am all for them receiving payment when they sell a book. That is the way it should be. But when I go buy a magazine, and pay the $5 or whatever it costs, I don't think I should have to pay each author of each article another sum to read their article.
    Once it is in the Magazine, the Magazine should have full rights over the article. Each author has sold his article (or donated it as is the case with QST) to the Magazine and that should be the end of it. I am paying for the Magazine, with all the ads which supplement the cost of printing and the cost of the articles they had to pay for. I do have many hardcopy issues of 73, out in my Horse corral shed which have been exposed to the elements for around 10 years now. Doubt they are in readable condtion anymore. There are also some upstairs here at work along with old QSTs too. They are HEAVY and take up alot of room. I would much rather have them on HIGH RES CDs searchable and when I need a particular page, I can just print that out, like I do with my HAM RADIO CDs.

14. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QST pays for articles. Has done so for years.

73 de Jim, N2EY

15. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True. And they do require that authors sign a release of "all rights" to submitted works before they'll publish anything.

Pat, QST does pay for submissions and they also send a certificate noting the title and issue so you have more stuff to hang on the wall and cover the holes made by the mice.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.