ad: UR5CDX-1

73 Magazine: All issues now online

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA5ZNU, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez we better take all the bling bling out before the cops show up!

Is that what you mean?

2. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

You are blowing smoke out of your shorts, Chip.

If you really thought that you had a case, you'd be talking to your attorney, not crying on our shoulders here on QRZed.

Case closed.

3. N5PVL

If they manage to screw up the internet archive, I hope that they also have plans to move somewhere very far away, and very obscure.

Maybe one of those new Earth-like planets that the pocket-protector set has recently discovered.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Which attorney? I talked to 2 today.

Chip W1YW

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to 2 today too.

6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good luck with that, Chip. Since every issue of 73 contains language that ALL content is copyrighted by them, unless you have challenged that somewhere along the way, you've got a very uphill battle. This isn't YouTube where EXISTING companies are challenging videos. 73 no longer exists. There is NO money required to exchange hands to read 73. NONE of the articles I have seen by you contain ANY language that suggests the copyright is owned by anyone other than 73. It doesn't appear that anyone who owns the copyright to 73 has come forward to make any issue of this (if there remains such an entity).

Again, should anyone try to reprint one of your articles in a fashion completely separate from 73 magazine and sell it for money, you'd have a great argument.

As an aside, should you find a lawyer to challenge the 73 magazines being available as they are in a setting of NO MONEY exchanging hands, by all means let me know! I could use their name in an upcoming book of mine about medical/legal issues as the sole lawyer I know who actually chose to pursue a claim on the basis of honesty and ethics rather than money. :D

..............Bob <---------- an honest lawyer who has pretty much given up on the law ever being about truth, ethics and integrity.

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob this is call 'complation copyright', correct?

8. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure we could host it over here in the free world - perhaps on a certain Swedish site....

9. N5PVL

Talk is cheap.

Almost as cheap as a bogus threat of litigation.

Some of us have paid attention to you, even argued a little.

That's the main thing.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your well wishes Bob.

Many folks here are aware that I hold the copyrights on my Comm Quart articles (and are not available in the compilations); some others are also aware that archive.org does not have certain website content as it relates to IP I am associated with. Still others are aware of a certain patent battle which, IMO, presently favors at least an indirect positive outcome for me and my IP.

Essentially I am experienced with this issue and have a track record of success. Over, oh, roughly a dozen years at this point.

I appreciate that the freedom of access to information is valuable , especially for Americans. I value it. Highly. However, as is the famous phrase:"freedom isn't free".

Freedom doesn't mean 'free':)

It's fun and delightful to have the freedom to dig out these old 73's. But copying thru download is just copyright infringement.

Chip W1YW

11. N5PVL

I was thinking more along the lines of the troublemaker perhaps wanting to find a new, anonymous place to roost.

Good websites are hard to come by... Troublemakers are a dime a dozen.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Goodness! Why would 73 be a relevant reference for all my articles?

I am delighted to have clarified the issue publicly on the holder of the copyright on my 73 Magazine articles: it's me:)

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Bob, I think you are an honest guy and I assume an excellent attorney.

I must confess that looking at the attorney profession as a whole, being a little overly analytical in my character, I am always somewhat dissettled by the lawyer emphasis on theater over evidentiary solidity.

Jury decision shouldn't be led by the color of a witness's tie, for example.

You and I and others all know this happens:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

....but I'm sure that being the kind of generous chap you are, you'd be happy to show a bit of amateur spirit and share a few old articles written for a now-defunct magazine some years ago. It is of course clear that only an old curmudgeon would go running to the lawyers over such a trifling issue - particularly since at this time of the year we think of the old Charles Dickens story of Ebenezer Scrooge....

Oh, BTW: now that the genie is out of the bottle, don't you think your wasting your time? The more of a stink you make, the more likely this stuff will get hosted elsewhere

Merry Christmas, Chip.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles, its not personally, buddy:)

Accept the fact that we just disagree on whether copyright should be a right. You are entitled to your opinion, but please accept that copyright is the law of the land. You may choose to change that, but as it stands, people like myself that rely on creative works only do so because there exists a mechanism to benefit from it. I can guarantee that I would never ever have pursued invention of a cancer treatment; fractal antennas; a popular best selling book on cosmology; an award winning song; a photo on the cover of the London Sunday Times Magazine (Hi Charles across the Pond!); and many, many, many others if these tools of IP weren't in place.

Chip W1YW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.