ad: elecraft

73 Magazine: All issues now online

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA5ZNU, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be delighted to provide copies from the Source. Be specific on your requests and i'd be happy to help as time permits.

I assume that is your point, not that we should 'all break the law because we can'. Right:)?

Chip W1YW

2. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How did you get a copy of my manuscript??!!??!!?? :eek:

If I had a dollar for every time a doctor told me, "I want my day in court! I'll tell the truth and I will win!" - well, I'd replace my IC-7800 with a few more!! Of course, being a doctor and intellectually honest is why us docs don't make very successful attorneys. I just have a problem with lying, which most of my legal colleagues seem to have gotten over before they graduated law school. But I digress.

I never read 73 magazine before and I must say, I'm enjoying reading a few of those I've downloaded. Wayne is quite the fellow! If it's not asking too much, just fight to get those issues with your articles taken down. I really want to read the rest!! :)

.............Bob

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,

I have no interest in engaging in activity that does not involve my copyrights. At worst I will probably ask that they pull my articles out of this compilation. Its up to others how they want to pursue.

Frankly if the compilation was read-only and not down-loadable I would assume that the intent was educational and thus fell within fair use.

As for 'the law', i think most trial lawyers are thwarted actors and story tellers who love to concoct a story that is so much more interesting than the truth, and truth loses to that small captive audience called a 'Jury'.

Heheh!

Chip W1YW

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

1324520912884.jpg
    berry berry sewious!!!

5. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well not really. You don't have to.

You know what they say about the Internet. Once it's out there, well, it's out there.

6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure you can but it's been done already.

7. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

My point exactly!

Furthermore, why don't you blog (if that's what you do) or even post a link on here to your articles on the archive site? The genie is now out of the bottle, the articles are on the WWW, so why not look upon this as a free advertising opportunity based upon old articles which are no longer in commercial publication? If people see what great articles you write, you may get repeat business.....

It's not a battle you can now realistically win (I'd save your money instead of giving it to scum lawyers) without creating the sort of ill feeling that the guy who bought the Heathkit rights created so why not look upon it as an opportunity rather than a threat?

Instead of paying you a royalty for your articles, I just made a small donation to this charity: http://www.msf.org/ I hope this is ok

cheers

Dave

8. KB9AMM

KB9AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I for one am glad that chip has decided to air his concerns on this form. This way I think that everyone will know him and I for one have decided that I will look for his name on all future readings that my come before me, so that I can bypass his works. Seems to me, by his own admission, he's in it for the $$ and has no concern with sharing knowledge with the rest of the Amateur community.

Merry Christmas to all!

73'

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So the first relevant question is: Did you or did you not transfer the copyright of the article(s) to "73 magazine"? If so, you don't own the copyright any more. They do, unless there was a specific part of the agreement limiting their ownership, use, etc.

The second, and more important question, is: Even if you own the copyright (because of specific language in the transfer agreement), how much are they actually worth on the open market? IOW, what actual loss do you suffer from their being available on the internet? $10? $20?

It's not like you're JK Rowling and you've written a book that will sell a bazillion copies. Or even a few copies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I expect that most authors who make their living that way are "in it for the money." I doubt John Grisham simply gives away all his novels. At some point, he expects to make a few dollars for his hard work. Admittedly, the internet has made it possible for copyrighted material to easily get disseminated while avoiding, in some cases, paying those who own those copyrights. If you are the one making your living off those articles or other material, it's just common sense to challenge it!

At first blush it appears that 73 owns the copyrights for articles that appeared in that magazine, but Chip indicates that in his case, he owns the rights for his articles. If so, then he certainly has the right to challenge the distribution of those articles without his approval. I would expect ANYONE to do the same if they truly care about their own work. I certainly would!

............Bob

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No transfer of copyright; I agreed with Joyce Sawtelle to right of first publication. That's not a copyright transfer. I own the copyrights. Did you not see this said already?

I never said that I would charge anything for my 73 articles. I challenge you to show me where I did. I said I would be delighted to provide copies for specific articles from 73, when asked. So far two folks have and I have sent them along. Free. I can't imagine there is any voluminous interest.

Its not unusual for authors to hold onto copyrights. Its not unusual for authors to provide gratis copies. Depends on the circumstance; the article; and who is asking. But it is the RIGHT of the copyright holder to control distribution of their property. Otherwise expect me to make hay in the rumpus room of your house--because its...THERE! Mi-iine!

Why are you guys defending copyright infringement? Its very strange...

Chip W1YW

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Scott!

Wishing you a pleasant holiday season to you and your wife. Perhaps you have had a bit of a memory issue here, so let me kindly set you straight.

First, creative people have a right to make a living. This allows them to 'pursue happiness' and not be a burden to society and especially their families. We all have to eat; pay bills; have housing; pay relatives expenses; and so on. I refuse to feel guilty or ashamed for wanting to make an honest living my friend.

Second, I do not sell ham stuff, although I constantly bring up that notion and get deep sixed by engineering, who see responses such as these and say 'bo %^&* way'. Its true that many engineers do not have high opinions of hams. I disagree myself.

Third, as you and your wife live an honest and dedicated living selling parts at ham events, I just wanted to say its been a pleasure buying from you over the last dozen years. As you may not recall Scott, I commonly come to your table at Tower Electronics and buy hundreds of dollars of RF connectors. In fact, I would bet there were several times that I was your best customer at a given event. In fact we just checked quickbooks and the amount is over $4000 from 2001 to last year. I never asked you why you didn't make these parts available for 'free' or at-cost. I was raised to respect those who make an effort to make an honest living. I was not raised to shun them, try to publicly shame and ostracize them; and so on.

I challenge you to demonstrate when I ever charged for a copy of a 73 article.

I challenge you to demonstrate when I have not been supportive of the commerce of the ham community.

I challenge you to demonstrate that I have not shared knowledge with the ham community.

I challenge you to demonstrate that I have exploited the ham community for financial gain.

Your turn Scott.

And now I need to be sold; your customer is no longer an automatic return.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  13. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see why it is against the law to READ something. If so, why are there Public Libraries? Now, if you want to OWN a copy of a book, thats another story. But just wanting to read it and become more informed and knowledgeable should be a right of all mankind. Imagine if Mathew,Mark,Luke and John had put up the "COPYRIGHTS" on their works in the Bible! NO ONE in the world would know about the Jesus story! ONLY the very wealthy who could afford to buy their book.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading is fine. Dowloading is not. Its the Napster issue...

15. K2DSL

K2DSL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.