#45 How to get the best microphone for your ham radio shack with Bob Heil

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W6UXB

W6UXB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to give Bob a break, stay safe wash your hands, more important things happening (I regret my last post) wear a mask when typing s**t, 73 Geoff

2. IS0HXK

IS0HXK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you use a dynamic Chinese karaoke microphone, you will see that it will be exactly the same, believe me.
    And for RFI issues, most of the time a capacitor in parallel to the microphone capsule is enough-

3. W2OT

W2OT Ham Member QRZ Page

HI HAM OPS.....I WAS LISTENING TO BOB HEIL REPORT......I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION....IN THIS VIDEO BOB IS HOLDING A PR-40...HE IS SAYING THE PR-40 IS EQUAL OR
    BETTHER THAN MICS THAN RE 27`S , NEUMAN MICS......I THEN HEARD BOB SAY THIS AT 17 MIN 45 SECS INTO HIS VIDEO (17:45) ( THAT THE PR-40 IS NOT GOOD FOR VOCALS )
    SOME WRAPPER SINGERS USE THEM PR-40`S............HOLD IT A SECOND , I HAD TO REPLAY BOB`S STSTAEMENT OVER & OVER........ITS NOT A GOOD MICROPHONE FOR VOCAL`S
    HOWEVRR BOB STATED PR-40 IS THE BEST MIC OUT THERE TODAY............ HIS VIDEO WAS GOOD UP TILL THEN.... CLOSE MY CASE BOB,73.....YOU CANT FOOL ME.....W2OT

4. W2OT

W2OT Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams take the word of Heil bob is a nice man,, however the cheap $ 2 elements used in most of mic elements is nice cases.
    Heil 4 had a tiny cover with a pin hole in it this was to restrict passing low end The HC 5 element this cover was removed......now what im saying
    the Bob made it to change the acoustics......this is done in many of his mic`s, why bob stays away from Eletret condenser mics it cost a bit more
    to build.....when you buy cheap you get cheap........The casings is where the cost goes up oh how pretty the mic, however inside is a cheap element.
    Mic elements that are flat are much easier to EQUALIZED....Every mic needs to be equalized to make it sound a bit better....
    Remember there is a price to pay for better audio....it takes the know how. twisting knobs setting levels without the tools to do so
    then you have no clue what your going after.....WE dont need much for 100- 3kc bandwidth to get decent audio.....BTW most people have crappy
    radio voices......and cant hear well up in age......so question ......where do you stand.....willing to purchase a good mic without tools. a transmitter
    with not enough bandwidth........ example here take this great company NEUMAN. there mic are everywhere is many studio`s and make it work,
    I cant !!!! why not I ask ?? it cost $$$$$$$$$$$ are you a sound engineer....me NO ! so what the hell yuo looking for better transmitt audio
    make your station look like a braodcast station Ha !......dumb dumb & dumberrrr......I use a D-104 mic since 1970 still all original with a EQ I built
    30 years ago.......ok your turn......bob here to help you with $2 elements. 73 ops.

5. W2OT

W2OT Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you make a race car go to its fastest......best driver , best racing crew , best equipment,,,,,,,and money. i rest my case.

KW6LA and AB4KA like this.
  6. AB4KA

AB4KA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So much vitriol for no reason. If you don't like Heil microphones, don't use them. But I'd be willing to bet that those of us who do like and use them (I have two) don't really care why you don't like them. Personally I like audio that sounds crisp and clean with a good punch. I don't expect a ham radio microphone to sound like a hi-fi audio microphone with lots of bass. That's simply a waste of power.

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the Zed Forums.

AB4KA likes this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So many people just can't resist the opportunity to run down and abuse, someone, anyone, Bob Heil. Of course you are are brighter, smarter, more clever and more spitefully tongued!

My experience? Bob is easy to work with. He has modified product to my specs and delivered on time at excellent prices. The customer service is ALWAYS prompt, cheerful and helpful.

I have Heil products in my shack, and no complaints from my customers. I'll do business with him anytime!

K0UO likes this.
  9. WD4ANA

WD4ANA Ham Member QRZ Page

HI AA5H the problem with your mic is the ground and braid is not making contact to the 8 pin connector inside of it. take the 8 pin connector apart pull the ground and braid up so that it touches the metal of the 8 pin connector. Hope that helps DANA 73.

10. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I took it apart (see photo) but the 8-pin connector looks electrically isolated from the shell. Four wires present Red & White for Vox I assume -----2 Black shield wires: one goes to Pin 6, the other to Pin 7 (one is common and the other is PTT ground).

[​IMG]

I was hoping your idea would fix the problem, did I misinterpret your instructions?