ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Governments have endowments that grow from old white men too. They call it taxes.... but when things go astray, things change.

Do this Chip - Take the roster of the ARRL HQ and identify those below 50. How many can you identify?

I did not say "the league" I said "HQ". And "the league at large" do not represent the decision nor the construct of HQ, which implies the leadership of the ARRL.

K5WW and AI7PM like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a tough nut to crack. Most of the actual employees are well under 50, but then again those are not the top positions. Oddly, on any given day, you will find a goodly mix of 'voluntary' high positions with paid ones. Its actually a reasonably comfortable atmosphere. Never seen anyone not welcomed. I like visiting.

The c-level positions are where many manifest their concerns. The autocratic miasma doesn't come across to visitors.

BTW, it is well known that NY2RF called me an "officious &*^*&%&". Yep. That's what he said. Maybe W0PV will dig out the graphic again. Itsa classic!

:)

Chip W1YW

K9UR likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a joke. It is a solution for rich sailboaters who are too cheap to buy commercial service. Winlink then started looking for an EMCOMM link so they could claim special privilege.

There is no reason they can't use MARS frequencies or the WARC bands. The issue of increased Winlink use cannot be addressed without saying where they plan to get the bandwidth. VHF, UHF and above, have t it. HF, go away.

4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I know am old dude we'll call Rob who used to be a section VP for the ARRL many years ago. He is still prone to Officious behavior, and sees himself having the moral high ground coming from on high (Newington) by virtue of him being a "Usta-B". He's a real trip.

W1YW likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your posts are nothing more than ad hominem attacks based on your cumulative collection of grudges. Your attitude is not helpful and is one reason why you get little credibility.

If young hams were interested they would be running for office in droves and beating on HQ doors for employment. Old guys tend to be in responsible positions due to 1. Long experience and interest in the hobby 2. More freedom from family demands 3. More financial freedom 4. Established and stable careers.

Why aren't YOU an office holder or volunteer?

WU8Y likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh sure, glad to oblige.

Ironically that was almost exactly one year ago, on the following Zed thread.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/arrl-policy-the-noise-frontier.541177/

Its important to get the character number, order, and hyphen placed correctly,

"Who is this officious ###-%###" ? - as asked to a prominent ARRL staff member.

Here's the graphic,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Winlink structure on MARS and Shares is larger, much larger, than on the ham bands and those services are true emcomm not whacker wannabes. Kinda
    begs the question of need on ham frequencies when dedicated high speed channels exist for those other services but then that cuts out the boaters. For a bit of history research the origins of Winlink and Vic Poor, built by boaters for boaters any other use is incidental.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very familiar with it. Familiar with the digital committee infighting when it was being rammed through as "official" ARRL. Now they are indeed in control of the League. They need AR because it is a license to do boat email free. Complain that the test is too hard? Lets have a more simple entry level license (pushing now)for them.

K5WW and VK2WP like this.
  10. KK4SHF

KK4SHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the debriefing Video. From guys who were there.

11. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Spare me the Old guys are more responsible nonsense. The jackasses on the air are mostly old guys and have chased off the young, innovative hams who don't have the patience for the endless burp and fart contests that these so called long established, responsible, rich, retirees play. ....tune in to 7200 any time...and it's mostly 4-landers, your people, perhaps?

PS.. I am, in fact, both an office holder (official ARRL field organization appointment) and also a volunteer as well as an active ham who is committed to the hobby for the past 32 years; I am "south of 50" but also earned my 20wpm ticket the hard way. I have operated and held call-signs in several other countries for decades, in addition to the USA and have been on award winning dxpeditions and operated among world class contesters.

That doesn't change the fact that the ARRL has zero appeal to me and does not advocate for what I (or others like me in the hobby) want and need. The ARRL has done little to advance the hobby, in fact, they have arguably put the hobby in reverse - losing spectrum to other interests, being behind in technology / regulatory change and yet they act like big shots and look to other organizations like complete incompetent fools. Plain and simple - Newington needs to change. Out of touch with reality on so many fronts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    K5WW and AI7PM like this.
  12. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured you knew Charlie but there are plenty of noobs that aren't aware of the crap way it got rammed in and approved.

13. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is worthy of a new thread. I'm interested in hearing more.

K9UR likes this.
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree this thread is wandering off and spreading out from the OP topic.

Suggestion for a new thread - make it about the latest published ARRL EC minutes #507 dated Oct. 14 2017. Post 95 on this thread from K0IDT contains a link to that doc. If you do start a new thread let us know here to avoid duplication.

Those EC Minutes contain several revelations about potential major changes, but I am particularly interested about three. Those are in agenda item #3. CEO and Sec report stated as,

"Mr. Gallagher continued his report. He is recommended (sic) that the Programs and Services Committee be tasked to conduct a thorough evaluation of all current program offerings to the membership, with a report back to the Executive Committee in the fall of 2018. He also recommended that the ARRL consider adopting alternative dispute resolution methods in lieu of court action. In response to the Board’s July request, he continues to investigate possible alternative locations for the ARRL incorporation"

All three of those recommendations are intriguing, but why would the non-profit ARRL seek to incorporate in another state other than CT, if not to flee into a less severe legally required auditing environment and thus become even less transparent (to BOD election manipulations, for example)?

K5WW likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: membership offerings---

Translation: what do members want from their organization? Have these offerings become out of balance with desires or needs of the membership?

RE: changing incorporation location---

Probably to cut costs.

RE: Mediation--

ARRL may require future voluntary positions, if not already, to agree to mediation in lieu of court based resolutions...who knows?

These sound like typical non-profit issues. Perhaps the only surprise is these weren't explored earlier.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    KA0HCP likes this.