Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again,

I might know something here that is not generally known: the PLANE set the limit, and the RED CROSS likely called the shots on how many hams would be called in and then seated for the ride. There may have been plans to get 50 on initially. It took the RED CROSS many days to get it all gelled....the ARRL was responding to a request which they did not control. It was, however, a mistake to give it a 'Force of 50' moniker. It kinda reminds me of that last scene in Close Encounters.....

Chip W1YW

WU8Y and KG7LEA like this.
  2. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

KX4O and K0IDT like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

But by God if our ARES team ever needs to set up a contest during an emergency I'm sure they will finish in the top 10. Not negative criticism, merely fact.

4. KG7LEA

Hold that thought. IMHO hams are best deployed in cohesive teams even if just two at a time.

W0DHG and W1YW like this.
  5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

On the ground a day after and like I said give the victims a connection for their smart phones and it's all good. I wonder how many and what type of messages
    were handled by hams as opposed to giving the locals a direct connection? There's a world of difference between hearing a voice and a post on some web site
    saying "we're okay"........it works but not the same as a personal connection.

Hams can be a useful addition in a disaster but roles have changed while the mindset hasn't.

KX4O and KA0HCP like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

K5WW likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

In the OP vid Mike N5TGL talks about being moved out of his remote position with no additional explanation and to the chagrin of the hospital staff, allegedly because a SHARES operaton was stood up at the local FEMA office.

Additionally, Jeremy writes in his Guide notes about having an unpleasant controversy regarding the passing of patient information over amateur radio, HIPAA vs FCC Part 97 rules, etc. He offers a succinct explanation and defense against any notion that ham relayed info is so constrained in that EMCOMM situation. SHARES operates on NTIA channels, different FCC rules, and has no such regulatory restrictions.

Taking in both of those anecdotes gives me an imagined sense of foul odor between the Ham volunteers and the late to the party (and salaried?) SHARES crews (also hams?).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    K5WW and KG7LEA like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm certainly no expert, but its unclear what FIRSTNET is supposed to offer in the early stages of extreme widepread isolated disaster situations like Maria. Although I can see the benefits in intense localized area incidents (9/11).

The more capable and integrated FIRSTNET/RAN broadband infrastructure, although it should modernize and unite Public Service comms, not a bad thing, still looks like it would be just as vulnerable and get taken down in the same manner as the currently more limited and fragmented terrestrial public service and commercial comms.

To me right now FIRSTNET seems more like just another giant barrel of PORK to pour Fed collected dollars into. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing for the ARRL to try to tap into.

So I agree, if they build it, Ham Radio does have something to offer to that mission and ought to be an element, or at least well connected, interoperable.

W1YW likes this.
  9. KG7LEA

The MOU between ARRL and American Red Cross is referenced on the web site, but the actual document does not seem to be available.

Chapter 4 of the ARES manual outlines the process for Mutual Assistance Teams. This chapter envisions ARES members augmenting ARES teams under the direction of local and regional ARES emergency coordinators.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page